Quantcast Hotmail will not remember my password

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Hotmail will not remember my password

Recently I had to repair XP MCE on my Inspiron 6400, which I did using the original disc and not the recovery console, but since doing this Firefox and IE will no longer retain my Hotmail password when I choose the "Save my e-mail address and password" option. A few minutes after I close the tab or browser, then launch it again and load Hotmail it has my e-mail address prefilled, but I have to retype my password; it has never done this before. Sometimes Firefox prompts about not recognising license c.msn.com, but it doesn't matter if I accept it or not, I still have the problem. IE7 doesn't and has never prompted about the c.msn.com license.

I've tried deleting all cookies and even uninstalling Firefox and installing it again all to no avail. It has always worked in IE and Firefox 1.5 and 2 before the repair.

I'm all out of ideas, please can you help me?

Edit: I've just gone onto the desktop, which has XP Home, and it's doing the same thing and works fine until it uses the c.msn.com license, so at least it's not the repair. I assume there's something wrong with Hotmail's license.
    Last edited by mjpartyboy; 18th December 2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added more detail.

Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Hotmail will not remember my password

same thing here, no clue what causes it...

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I've been having a few problems lately and while trying to fix them I thought I had caused another one!

NBR Super Pink Princess

I have hotmail and I'm not having any problem with it. I'm using Firefox 2.0.

NBR Super Moderator

If you don't set FF to remember the cookies, or have them time out too soon, then it won't work. Also, for some reason FF doesn't recognize MS's logon screen as a user/pass otherwise you could make FF remember the password. Figures that an MS website wouldn't work with FF...
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Notebook Consultant

Try this. Works for me, every time. It's great.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by night_2004 View Post
    If you don't set FF to remember the cookies, or have them time out too soon, then it won't work. Also, for some reason FF doesn't recognize MS's logon screen as a user/pass otherwise you could make FF remember the password. Figures that an MS website wouldn't work with FF...
    I haven't changed any of the cookie settings (accept and keep until they expire) and it used to work before when I selected the "Save my e-mail address and password". IE7 has the same problem as does our home desktop with XP Home and Firefox 2 and IE7 (my notebook has XP MCE). Nothing has been changed on the desktop in a long time.

Whatever it is, it seems to be related to this c.msn.com license, but accepting it makes no difference.
    Last edited by mjpartyboy; 19th December 2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Detail added.

Notebook Evangelist

I tried the the "Save my e-mail address and password" option on another notebook tonight and eventually it suffered the same fate.

I e-mailed Hotmail tech support about it a few days ago and got a reply today:

From your message, I understand that you are having issue signing in automatically to your hotmail.com account. I know how important it is to resolve your concern and I am here to help you.

Please be advised that we recently introduced Windows Live Sign-In Assistant that will make sign-in experience faster and more convenient for users. It stores multiple Windows Live ID credentials on the sign-in page and allows you to sign in by selecting the Windows Live ID you want to use.

Mark, to address your concern on being unable to sign in automatically, I suggest that you install Windows Live Sign-In Assistant. You can get the required components by installing Windows Live Toolbar or Windows Live Messenger.

To install Windows Live Toolbar, please go to http://toolbar.live.com/.
    To install Windows Live Messenger, please go to http://get.live.com/messenger/overview.

If you have installed the required client component, but you are still unable to see multiple Windows Live ID credentials, follow these steps:

1. In Microsoft Windows, open 'Control Panel,' click 'Add or Remove Programs,' and then verify that 'Windows Live Sign-in Assistant' is in the 'Currently installed programs' list.
    2. In Internet Explorer, open the 'Tools' menu, and then click 'Manage Add-ons.'
    3. In the 'Show' list, click 'Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer.'
    4. Click 'Windows Live Sign-in Assistant,' and then click 'Enabled' in the 'Settings' area.
    5. Click 'OK.'

For additional online help regarding Windows Live Sign-In Assistant, please do the following:

1. Go to https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx.
    2. From the download list, select 'Windows Live ID.'
    3. On the search text box, type 'Windows Live Sign-In Assistant'.

If the issue persists, the issue that you are having may be related to your Windows User Profile. I suggest that you create a new Windows User Profile. To do this, please go to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151. I have provided the steps below for your reference

To create a new user account:

1. Click "Create a new account" in the Pick a task list box.
    2. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click "Next."
    3. Select the desired account type, and then click "Create Account."

To make changes to an account:

1. Click "Change an account" in the Pick a task list box.
    2. Click the account that you want to change.
    3. Select the item that you would like to change:
    * Click "Change the name" to change the name that appears on the Welcome screen for the account.
    * Click "Change the picture" to change the picture that is used to represent the user account. You can use any image file on the computer for the user's picture.
    * Click "Change the account type" to change the account type to increase or decrease the user's rights on the computer.
    * Click "Create/change the password" to create or change the password for the user and create or change the password hint.
    * Click "Delete the account" to delete the user account from the computer. When you delete the account, you are given the option to save the user's files on the computer.

Note: You cannot delete the account for a user that is currently logged on to the computer.

You are a valuable customer to MSN and we are glad to give you consistent and effective service. Thank you for using Windows Live ID.
    It doesn't really resolve my problem because the "Save my e-mail address and password" option is still a valid one and must be visible to all visitors/users, so there must be lots of people experiencing the same problem.
    Last edited by mjpartyboy; 6th January 2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake.