Quantcast How can I make a clean install of Windows 8 without bloatware and hidden partitions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default How can I make a clean install of Windows 8 without bloatware and hidden partitions?

recently bought a new Lenovo W530 Laptop from USA.

It comes with a Windows 8 Pro x64, license but it was downgraded to Windows 7 when I received it.
    It comes with Windows 8 Recovery-discs which I have used to get it back to Windows 8.

However, when using the recovery-discs I get a lot of bloat-ware installed and I'm guessing some hidden partitions as well (It all takes 50GB on my harddrive).

What I want is to make a perfectly clean install of only Windows 8 without the bloat-stuff.

As far as I've read the product-key is already "installed" in the Bios on machines with Win8 pre-installed?
    And I read somewhere I need an ISO-file with a clean Windows 8 Pro x64, but where can I find this?

I'm really eager to use my new computer but it is no fun until I've made a clean install.

Can you guys guide me through how to do that?

On the way out

Default Re: How can I make a clean install of Windows 8 without bloat-are and hidden partitions?

Do you know anyone who is an MSDN Subscriber ? If so they can D/L the iso for you

Where is the Windows 8 Pro 64-bit ISO download?

Notebook Retailer

Default Re: How can I make a clean install of Windows 8 without bloat-are and hidden partitions?

You'll either need to purchase a copy of Windows 8 installation media, purchase an upgrade to 8 Pro and opt out of preserving data during the upgrade, or use JOSEA's advice in obtaining it to do a full install.

I can't recall whether the Refresh option does away with the bloatware or not.

We custom build Clevo, Asus, MSI and Lenovo laptops. Exclusive NBR member discount available!
    Sales: 888/576-6776

Notebook Enthusiast

I don't know any MSDN subscriber unfortunately.

I spoke with Microsoft support and they never mentioned the option to buy only installation media, but rather claimed I had to buy a brand new copy of the operative-system, which seems ridiculous considering I already payed for the OS once when I bought the computer.

How about torrents?
    My product-key should be in my bios, but can I use a torrent-copy of Windows to help me get a genuine clean Windows 8 installation?

Notebook Deity

Asking about "torrented" commercial operating systems is not really the thing to do here.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by white-k View Post
    I don't know any MSDN subscriber unfortunately.

I spoke with Microsoft support and they never mentioned the option to buy only installation media, but rather claimed I had to buy a brand new copy of the operative-system, which seems ridiculous considering I already payed for the OS once when I bought the computer.

How about torrents?
    My product-key should be in my bios, but can I use a torrent-copy of Windows to help me get a genuine clean Windows 8 installation?
    You can't talk about torrents here but I will say this, part of buying a PC is the cheap price and the reason the price is cheap is because it's subsidized by bloat software that you cannot get rid of. They're not going to give you the option to get rid of the bloat software that subsidizes the system and still charge you a cheap price for the computer. You didn't really "pay" per say for Windows, it's basically free which is why PC's are cheap because Windows is subsidized by the bloat. You'll have to buy a separate copy of Windows 8 in order to fully erase the hard disk and do a complete clean installation.
    My iBook G3 runs Circles around your Core i7 Notebook............as long as I'm carrying the iBook and doing the running.

Merica

OP try installing the W8 upgrade assistant. It should tell you that W8 is already on your comp and may let you download the ISO.

How to download Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
    OP try installing the W8 upgrade assistant. It should tell you that W8 is already on your comp and may let you download the ISO.

How to download Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows
    Actually I already tried the W8 Upgrade assistant, and one of the first things it does is to ask for a product-key. I guess the reason for that is that the upgrade is only supposed to be used on older OS where the product-key is not embedded like it is in machines pre-installed with Windows 8. So unfortunately that does not work. :-(

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by white-k View Post
    recently bought a new Lenovo W530 Laptop from USA.

It comes with a Windows 8 Pro x64, license but it was downgraded to Windows 7 when I received it.
    It comes with Windows 8 Recovery-discs which I have used to get it back to Windows 8.
    I'm guessing because you had Lenovo ship with Windows 7 installed, that there is no Windows 8 product key sticker under the laptop? Rather it is Windows 7?
    I can't seem to find it right now, but there was a utility out there, originally made for Vista I believe, but it also worked for W7, that would extract the product key for an installed OS... called "ABS".... or something? I remember a link posted in an old Lenovo Windows clean install thread. Anyway, is there such a thing for W8 yet? ...then the W8 Upgrade Assistant workaround may work.
    Samsung Chronos (NP780Z5E-S02CA): 15.6" 1080p | i7 3635QM | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 840 250 GB SSD | AMD HD8870M
    RIP - ThinkPad R61: 14" WXGA+ | T7500 2.2GHz | 4 GB DDR2 | 512 GB 7200 rpm | nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M 128MB |

Notebook Geek

I'm not at my computer now but I believe its called ABR. I've used it to backup OEM keys in order to do clean installs for both Vista and 7. It extracts the key from an original copy and restores and activates windows when you do a clean installation.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    SVS13A290S \ i7-3520M \12GB DDR3 \ GT640M LE \ Win 8 Pro x64

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast