Quantcast Windows 8 is asking for product key. (I already entered my legit one.)

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Geek

Default Windows 8 is asking for product key. (I already entered my legit one.)

Windows 8 recently started asking me for my product key.

I have already entered it into the install process for windows 8 and it says it was good. I entered it exactly how microsoft sold it to me. I do not understand why the key is invalid now. It recently started asking me for a key.

I bought the key for 15 dollars directly from the microsoft store and they emailed me my upgrade key, its an upgrade and I installed it after installing windows 7 onto my new hard drive.

Some possible reasons
    I installed this version of windows 8 on my SSD for my laptop but I returned the SSD so i had to install windows 8 again on my new hard drive. Is there a reason why its only letting me install it once.
    After installing Windows 7, i performed a custom install where I wiped the drive clean so it had unallocated space of my full hard drive. By doing that, did I erase the hard drive's memory of having windows 7, which is why it is not letting me upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Windows 8 is asking for product key. (I already entered my legit one.)

Here's Microsoft's Global Customer Service phone number list:
    Global Customer Service phone numbers
    HP G62t: Core i5 2.267GHz
    HP/Compaq nc6400: Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
    Dell Inspiron E1705: Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz

Merica

Default Re: Windows 8 is asking for product key. (I already entered my legit one.)

There are certain hardware triggers and IIRC, CPU's/Motherboards/Disk Drives are in that category that will flag a reactivation. As the previous poster mentioned call Microsoft and they will reset it for you.

Just This Side of Senile

That is if it is saying it is invalid. It may ask you to either reactivate or enter the key again to activate W8 from the hardware change. Once it goes to the net and refuses activation or then key is when you would need to call M$.
    Samsung NP700G7C-S01US, Windows 7, i7-3820 + 4 Bins, BD R/W, GTX 675m, 16GB Ram, 480GB Mushkin SSD Boot & 750GB 7,200 RPM Data, 400 nit 1080p 120Hz screen.
    Gateway P-79xx, Windows 7 64 Pro SP1, qx9200 @ 2.93-3.20 GHz, 8GB Ram, Mushkin Chronos DX 480GB, 500GB XT, Flush USB 3.0 express card, 260m Desk @ 550/1000/1350, Game @ 600/1000/1450 & powermizer off.
    Asus U81a, P8400, Windows 7 64 HP, 5-5-5-18 Memory (2x2GB), 500GB Momentus XT.
    Stock system, not in my house!!!!

Notebook Retailer

You should be able to get the phone number for technical support regarding activation through the activation wizard as well. You can always back up your activation too, for future reference.

We custom build Clevo, Asus, MSI and Lenovo laptops. Exclusive NBR member discount available!
    Sales: 888/576-6776