Quantcast Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    I've recently replaced an old HDD in a laptop for a family member. The old HDD was working but just slow and small. I had Office XP Standard installed on this HDD. Unfortunately I cannot find the original installation CD though. I was able to recover my Office XP product ID and CD Key using the "magic jelly bean" tool. However, I need a copy of the installation media to reinstall office on the new HDD.

    I phoned Microsoft support to order a new CD but they said that they can no longer supply replacement media for Office XP because it is too old. The rep did say it was fine for me to use someone else's installation CD along with my valid CD key.

    Can anyone recommend a source for a copy of Office XP standard edition? I searched and there are lots of downloadable sources for Office XP Pro (not standard). I did find one download source for the standard edition, but it turned out to be for "standard edition - students and teachers". This won't accept my valid CD key.

    Thanks for reading

  2. #2
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    1,095
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboot View Post
    I've recently replaced an old HDD in a laptop for a family member. The old HDD was working but just slow and small. I had Office XP Standard installed on this HDD. Unfortunately I cannot find the original installation CD though. I was able to recover my Office XP product ID and CD Key using the "magic jelly bean" tool. However, I need a copy of the installation media to reinstall office on the new HDD.

    I phoned Microsoft support to order a new CD but they said that they can no longer supply replacement media for Office XP because it is too old. The rep did say it was fine for me to use someone else's installation CD along with my valid CD key.

    Can anyone recommend a source for a copy of Office XP standard edition? I searched and there are lots of downloadable sources for Office XP Pro (not standard). I did find one download source for the standard edition, but it turned out to be for "standard edition - students and teachers". This won't accept my valid CD key.

    Thanks for reading
    I doubt you are going to find a legal download for this software, I find it hard to believe you found legal downloads of other versions, appears you got lucky. Your choices are to either find a friend is who also a user and borrow a copy (which I am sure you would have done by now) or purchase a new program on a site such as PriceGraber, Ebay, or Amazon. I looked and the price for this 10 year old program seems to be quite high. For example: Amazon.com: Microsoft Office XP Standard [OLD VERSION]: Software. You could upgrade to the latest Microsoft Office version for near the same price. You only need the Student and Teacher edition (which would be the cheapest) if you just had the standard XP edition before.
    Last edited by deeastman; 1st December 2011 at 04:43 PM.
    HP Pavillion dv6775us
    Intel C2D T5450 1.66 GHz||4GB DDR2 PC6400||Nvidia 8400M GS 256MB||Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB 7200RPM||Intel 4965AGN||Windows 7 x64 PRO

  3. #3
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Thanks for your reply.

    The downloads I found were torrents of "untouched" (i.e., non-cracked) ISOs of the original installation disc. I'm actually not sure of the technical legality of such downloads since they require a valid key to work.

    I don't have any tech friends so the likelihood of me finding someone in person with a copy of 10-year-old software isn't very good

    Note that my CD key (standard edition) does not work with "standard edition - student and teacher".

  4. #4
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Do you use the "extra" programs such as Publisher and Outlook? If not, download OpenOffice - it's completely free and legal. I run it on all of my PCs, and it got me all the way through college with no issues.
    Desktop: i5 2500k @4.0 ghz | 16gb DDR3 | Radeon 6950 | 512 gb SSD | 23" 2048x1152
    HTPC: i5 2500k @4.0 ghz | 8gb DDR3 | Radeon 6950 | 120gb SSD + 750gb HDD + 2x 2tb HDD | 55" 1080p HDTV
    Laptop: Clevo W110ER | i7 3610qm | 8gb DDR3 | GT 650m | 240 gb SSD | 11.6" 1366x768
    Wife's: Phenom II x6 1045t @3.5 ghz | 16gb DDR3 | GTX 460 | 256gb SSD | 21" 1080p
    Tablet: Acer Iconia A100 | Tegra 2 | 32gb | 7" | ICS

  5. #5
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,047
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackboot View Post
    The downloads I found were torrents of "untouched" (i.e., non-cracked) ISOs of the original installation disc. I'm actually not sure of the technical legality of such downloads since they require a valid key to work.
    Of course the downloads are illegal, since the people you're downloading from aren't authorised to redistribute the software. Overlooking that, though, they're no different from using someone else's CD, which I understand you were told is OK - the licence key is what entitles you to install and use the software, not possession of the installation media.

    However, a bigger concern than the legality of the torrents is that there's no guarantee that the files are actually untouched. Uncracked, yes, but there may well be malware embedded in them. Just something to keep in mind.
    Proofread your posts carefully to see if you any words out.



    HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card

  6. #6
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
    Do you use the "extra" programs such as Publisher and Outlook? If not, download OpenOffice - it's completely free and legal. I run it on all of my PCs, and it got me all the way through college with no issues.
    Unless you need to import an 'open office' document into another word processor. Despite the big talk of compatibility, back and forth to M$oft word just is not pretty. Open Office is fine if you want to use your computer as a typewriter but you're better off with some form of Word if you have to interact with others.
    First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

  7. #7
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Do you know any 'TechNet' subscribers? They can still get the Office XP Professional ISO for you.
    First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

  8. #8
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    2,047
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Quote Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Do you know any 'TechNet' subscribers? They can still get the Office XP Professional ISO for you.
    Note that the OP needs Office XP Standard. From what I can see, Technet only has Professional, so that won't help him.
    Proofread your posts carefully to see if you any words out.



    HP EliteBook 6930p resources: Windows 8.1 compatibility | NightLight brightness mod | scrolling with trackpoint | half-size WLAN card

  9. #9
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    Thanks for all the replies

    Unfortunately Open Office isn't an option since this isn't my computer. The user needs the simplicity of using only one office suite. In my experience Open Office is a reasonable option for the technically inclined but not at all for someone that is a luddite.

    I wonder if I should try posting a REQ on usenet? Can anybody suggest which group such a request would best be posted to?

  10. #10
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,880
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Lost CD "Office XP Standard Edition" - help?

    and it's probably time to close out this thread........

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1