Quantcast Can I legally download a Windows 7 OEM ISO anywhere?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Can I legally download a Windows 7 OEM ISO anywhere?

Nothing illegal please. I bought a notebook from ebay, an Asus, that came with Windows 7 32 bit. Not only do I want to put an SSD in it I also want to run 64 bit Windows 7. (The license on the laptop is for Home Premium.)

The laptop did not come with any disks. I have Windows 7 disks that I bought for other computers but they're all retail so the OEM key will not work.

Is there any place I can download the Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium OEM ISO so I can get this laptop set up?

Again, I don't need a key, I have a perfectly legitimate OEM key that came with the Asus laptop.

Thank you.

On the way out

Default Re: Can I legally download a Windows 7 OEM ISO anywhere?

Space open for rent
    Spoiler :
    Asus G73JH 8 GB RAM, Intel SSD + Sandisk SSD
    Sager NP2740 (Clevo W740SU) 16 GB RAM, Crucial M500, win 7 ORDERED from GentechPC _Arrived 2-6-2014 !!!
    http://www.flushthetpp.org//
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3176215060

Notebook Deity

The key on the bottom of the laptop should work with a retail disc. The one you can download from the link above should work without a problem. Alternately, you can use ABR to back up the activation inormation from your current Windows install, install it from any source without a key, and then use ABR to re-activate it. This does not do anything illegal, since you must have a valid, licensed version of Windows to start with.
    Desktop: i5 2500k @4.0 ghz | 16gb DDR3 | Radeon 6950 | 512 gb SSD | 23" 2048x1152
    HTPC: i5 2500k @4.0 ghz | 8gb DDR3 | Radeon 6950 | 120gb SSD + 750gb HDD + 2x 2tb HDD | 55" 1080p HDTV
    Laptop: Clevo W110ER | i7 3610qm | 8gb DDR3 | GT 650m | 240 gb SSD | 11.6" 1366x768
    Wife's: Phenom II x6 1045t @3.5 ghz | 16gb DDR3 | GTX 460 | 256gb SSD | 21" 1080p
    Tablet: Acer Iconia A100 | Tegra 2 | 32gb | 7" | ICS

Notebook Consultant

I'll try those but my OEM key would not work with any of the Retail disks I've tried so far. Also, I was able to back up my activation but unable to restore it.

I'll try those again. I'm guessing an OEM version of Windows is not downloadable anywhere. That sure would make it easy on me.

Thanks for the help.

Armed with two drinks

Balane you can do like Syberia said, use the ABR to copy your activation from old install and when paste it on fresh installed OS. I did it once, had no issues.

Linky: ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) | directedge.us
    ASUS M60J: 16" 1366*768, Intel i7 720QM 1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, nVidia GeForce 240M 1GB VRAM, Crucial M500 480GB SSD, Seagate Momentus 500GB 5400RPM HDD and some other less important hardware + Windows 7 Home Premium x64

FSX is love, FSX is life!
    DISCLAIMER: in order to minimise the number of fatal outcomes my posts should not be taken very seriously!

Notebook Consultant

It's supposed to work?

Back up an activation for an OEM Windows 7 32 Bit Home Premium installation.

Then

Restore the activation onto a Retail Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium installation?

I've tried this and it's not doing a darn thing for me. I can back it up fine, just nothing happens when I go to restore it.

I downloaded the ABR Beta With Windows 7 Support version and tried it before I even posted here.

Armed with two drinks

Hmmm, that's strange. I installed W7 from this link (Legal Download from DigitalRiver: Windows 7 SP1, 13 languages) and than method worked fine. Probably doesn't work then going from 32 to 64 and vice-verse. I looks like you'll have to call Microsoft, so that they would activate your OS manually :/.
    ASUS M60J: 16" 1366*768, Intel i7 720QM 1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, nVidia GeForce 240M 1GB VRAM, Crucial M500 480GB SSD, Seagate Momentus 500GB 5400RPM HDD and some other less important hardware + Windows 7 Home Premium x64

FSX is love, FSX is life!
    DISCLAIMER: in order to minimise the number of fatal outcomes my posts should not be taken very seriously!

that one guy

Quote Originally Posted by balane View Post
    It's supposed to work?

Then

Restore the activation onto a Retail Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium installation?

I've tried this and it's not doing a darn thing for me. I can back it up fine, just nothing happens when I go to restore it.

I downloaded the ABR Beta With Windows 7 Support version and tried it before I even posted here.
    So let me get this straight. You download the DigitalRiver copy. You install it. You enter your code, and it doesn't work? Makes no sense.
    Apple MacBook Air, late 2010

Desktop
    i5-3570K | 2GB GTX 670 OC | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | 180GB SSD | Dell U2312HM | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G13 | Logitech G600/G400+Razer Kabuto | Logitech G35
    Currently playing: World of Warcraft (DK/Warrior/Mage) | Battlefield 3 (ID: swaggatron3000)

Notebook Virtuoso

If the OP does in fact have a legit license from either an OEM system builder or Microsoft (retail), it's a matter of spending some time on the phone with MSFT to get a new/good license key.

In most parts of the world, this is even a toll-free call.

The phone call might be a better spend of time than to thrash about in a web forum trying to discover what's wrong.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by balane View Post
    It's supposed to work?

Then

As others have said this should work and does. I personally have done it several times in the past. If using "ABR Beta with Windows 7 Support" it is recommended to save the files to a USB flash drive although not mandatory. You should see that two files were created on the USB, "activation_backup" will create 2 files on your USB drive:
    - backup-key.txt: Backup license key
    - backup-cert.xrm-ms: Backup activation certificate

The certificate file must be present or the ABR method will not work. The Cert file will not be present if the non-ABR Beta program was used as it was for use prior to Vista or Windows 7..
    HP Pavillion dv6775us
    Intel C2D T5450 1.66 GHz||4GB DDR2 PC6400||Nvidia 8400M GS 256MB||Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB 7200RPM||Intel 4965AGN||Windows 7 x64 PRO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast