Quantcast How to install windows on Hybrid Hard drive (seagate momentus XT)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How to install windows on Hybrid Hard drive (seagate momentus XT)

I want to install windows on this drive.

Now, I think it is supposed to contain 500gb but when I come to install it, I see there's 465,8 free gb.

I also don't see the difference between the ssd part of the drive and its regular part. What do I do? Can I install windows on the SSD part?

Thanks!
    MSI GX640, i5-450m, ATI5850, Arctic Silver 4 thermal compound applied on CPU and GPU. | DasKeyboard Ultimate S Cherry Brown. | Razor mouse. |26' BenQ screen | Broken LG E500 (Epoxy glue ftw). |

La plupart des gens préféreraient mourir que de réfléchir. C'est ce qu'ils font d'ailleurs. - Russell

that one guy

Default Re: How to install windows on Hybrid Hard drive (seagate momentus XT)

Quote Originally Posted by MonPireSire View Post
    I want to install windows on this drive.

Now, I think it is supposed to contain 500gb but when I come to install it, I see there's 465,8 free gb.

I also don't see the difference between the ssd part of the drive and its regular part. What do I do? Can I install windows on the SSD part?

Thanks!
    There is no "SSD part". There's a flash buffer.
    Apple MacBook Air, late 2010

Desktop
    i5-3570K | 2GB GTX 670 OC | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | 180GB SSD | Dell U2312HM | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G13 | Logitech G600/G400+Razer Kabuto | Logitech G35
    Currently playing: World of Warcraft (DK/Warrior/Mage) | Battlefield 3 (ID: swaggatron3000)

Notebook Consultant

Ok thanks. Now I still cannot install it : it always restart the computer and restart the whole process... I_I

Edit : NVM, it seems ok now.

Hell, I ALWAYS have problems -_-
    MSI GX640, i5-450m, ATI5850, Arctic Silver 4 thermal compound applied on CPU and GPU. | DasKeyboard Ultimate S Cherry Brown. | Razor mouse. |26' BenQ screen | Broken LG E500 (Epoxy glue ftw). |

La plupart des gens préféreraient mourir que de réfléchir. C'est ce qu'ils font d'ailleurs. - Russell

Notebook Consultant

I just did a clean install on one of those myself. You should install Windows as you would on any other mechanical HD.
    Are you doing a clean install or a recovery?. What laptop do you have?
    Asus G74SX-CCT3DE (canadian version), Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 12 gb of RAM,
    Clean install on 128 gb Crucial M4 SSD + 500 gb Seagate 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
    Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
    BIOS ver 203

Notebook Consultant

Just a clean install (my previous hard drive crashed). I installed it and it goes well. Thanks!

Notebook Deity

This is a mathematical misrepresentation of the amount of space on the drive. It's a problem that is as old as hard drives. It's all marketing.

All ways are my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
    This is a mathematical misrepresentation of the amount of space on the drive. It's a problem that is as old as hard drives. It's all marketing.
    So true.

MonPireSire - Here's how it works. Manufacturers market drives with 500,000,000,000bytes as 500GB. You know, divide by 1000 three times to get KB, MB, then GB.

The problem is that operating systems do not see KB as 1000bytes, but as 1024 bytes. So, when you divide 500,000,000,000 by 1024 three times, you get 465GB. This is the true storage space of the drive.

Actually, you can right click > properties on any file on your hard drive. Windows will give you the file size and it's corresponding amount of bytes. I just opened up a small photo:
    1.08MB
    1,138,688bytes
    Marketing would claim the file to be 1.12MB, not the 1.08 that it mathematically is. Another example is my 750GB Hitachi HDD.
    750,152,314,880 bytes
    698GB of actual space.

Alienware m17x r4 | Stealth Black | i7-3720 | NVIDIA 680m | Crucial M4 512GB | Hitachi 7K750 | Full HD | 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Blu Ray

Check out my Hitachi 7K750 benchmarks!
    Make the Win7 taskbar THINNER when on the side.

Notebook Enthusiast

there is no ssd section of the drive there is just extra memory to speed up the drive

All ways are my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by res0sf9v View Post
    there is no ssd section of the drive there is just extra memory to speed up the drive
    From the Seagate website:
    The Seagate® Momentus® XT drive is a solid state hybrid with Seagate® Adaptive Memory™, enabling the drive to deliver SSD-like performance along with higher capacity. Designed with high-performance core components on an innovative platform, the Momentus XT solid state hybrid drive consists of a 7200-RPM hard drive with 32MB of cache, 4GB of solid state SLC NAND flash storage and Adaptive Memory technology.
    So, yes, there is a solid state portion of the drive. If it were just increased cache/memory, how would the drive be able to organize the most used data for faster access? Information cannot be left in the cache/memory at shutdown.

Alienware m17x r4 | Stealth Black | i7-3720 | NVIDIA 680m | Crucial M4 512GB | Hitachi 7K750 | Full HD | 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Blu Ray

Check out my Hitachi 7K750 benchmarks!
    Make the Win7 taskbar THINNER when on the side.

I am having this exact problem and am looking for a solution. I don't see one in this thread, if there is can someone explain more clearly, or if not, can someone please tell me how to fix this error so I can get back to my life? Data recovery and moving harddisks is a headache

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast