Quantcast Can someone in my home network hack into my computer? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Can someone in my home network hack into my computer?

Since they have physical access to your PC (sounds like they do), it would be much easier to hack it sitting in front of it, rather than over the network.

Notebook Deity

if this is a fear from a roommate possibly hacking you i would find a new place to live. life is way to stressful to have to come home to people you dont trust. as someone else mentioned it would be easier for them to have access to your room and do it that way rather then over a network.

Notebook Virtuoso

I've heard that Linux users are very computer-savvy.
    That's what they'd have you believe! =p

And yes.
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

that one guy

It's really easy. If they're already in your house, all they need is an axe.

But seriously, who the hell are you living with that might hack your computer?

Are you a CIA agent?
    Apple MacBook Air, late 2010

Desktop
    i5-3570K | 2GB GTX 670 OC | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | 180GB SSD | Dell U2312HM | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G13 | Logitech G600/G400+Razer Kabuto | Logitech G35
    Currently playing: World of Warcraft (DK/Warrior/Mage) | Battlefield 3 (ID: swaggatron3000)

Notebook Virtuoso

How easy is to hack into someone's computer if it's on the SAME home network? (but on my computer I've configured it as a "public" network hoping that would be more secure)
    Configuring as a public network was smart.

It's not THAT easy and there are ways to defend against it. You should also look into using HTTPS instead of HTTP as a way to prevent them from looking at what you're doing online.
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

o TuNaY o

Quite intresting therad.
    MacBook Pro
    Intel Dual-Core i7 2.8GHz, 4MB, 1333MHz | 4GB Samsung DDR3 1333MHz | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics 3000
    13.3-inch LED Backlight | 720p FaceTime Camera | MultiTouch TrackPad | Backlit U.S. Keyboard
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) | 60W PSU
    Mac OS X Version 10.7.3
    Apple iPhone 4S 64GB
    Unlocked | Glowing Backlit Logo (removed)
    iOS Version 5.1

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by tuηay View Post
    Quite intresting therad.
    Slow down, don't swamp the guy with information. And don't get so technical :P

Are you concerned about people seeing what your doing ONLINE (what sites you visit, etc) or looking at what is saved on your computer?
    Do you have access or exclusive control of the router?

A VPN might help you with your internet concerns, so long as they can't access the router. Even then it may still help, I haven't had involvement with them and security in local terms.
    If you can control the router (and allowed to do so without suspicion) make sure the log on is something other than default, so you can control who changes what on the network.
    As for files on your computer, there are encryption programs that might be helpful.. I've never even considered one however, so that's the extent of my expertise.
    G51VX-Forge modded- 5GB 7 Ult x64, Lite'd
    P9600es: 3ghz @ 1.07v 6GB@900, WD Black 500
    GTX260m: DOX 195 @ .9/.75/.7; 500/885 --- Intel 5100; Razer Orochi
    RIP XPS 9500, P4 3.4Ghz, 512, 128mb 9700 pro

Notebook Evangelist

Is it possible in IE or FF to set every site to run as HTTPS? Whenever I have an option to run a site as HTTPS (facebook, twitter, windows live, etc.) I choose, however, is there a way to default every website to HTTPS?
    Sager NP9150 (P150EM Prema Mod) | Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center | 95% Matte | i7-3840QM | 16GB DDR3L CL9 1600MHz | GTX 680M (svl7 VBIOS) | 500GB 840 EVO | BD Reader | Intel AC 7260 |
    DeathAdder 2013 | Orochi 2013 | BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 | Xbox 360 Controller | Sennheiser PC 350 | Sennheiser CX 275s | FiiO E17 | Dell UltraSharp U2312HM |
    Nokia Lumia 1020 | Camera Grip |

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhog View Post
    Is it possible in IE or FF to set every site to run as HTTPS? Whenever I have an option to run a site as HTTPS (facebook, twitter, windows live, etc.) I choose, however, is there a way to default every website to HTTPS?
    HTTPS Everywhere | Electronic Frontier Foundation (for FF)
    First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

Notebook Virtuoso

Protocol(whatever it is) is a two party thing so there is nothing that can be done from the 'client' side alone. TOR is the closest one can get.

Or you can do it like me of setting up a squid server on an VPS which is connected via openvpn. I use this setup to register google voice as well as in a few occasions getting through some non-free wifi hotspots via ip over DNS.
    we all want to be god of our small universe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast