Quantcast AES-NI support in TrueCrypt (Sandy Bridge problem)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AES-NI support in TrueCrypt (Sandy Bridge problem)

Notebook Consultant

Default AES-NI not supported on Asus G-series laptops (and other brands)

Here's the original post that started this:

Can anyone with an i7 2720QM or better Sandy Bridge mobile cpu do me a favor and check if AES-NI support is correctly detected in TrueCrypt? (Settings - Performance)

I got an Asus G73SW-3DE with an upgraded cpu (2720), and it should support AES-NI, but neither performance figures in TrueCrypt or the configuration seems to indicate that it's actually being properly detected and used.
    For now what we know is that:

• Some laptops have an option in the BIOS that lets you enable/disable AES-NI. Check this first before doing anything else.
    • You can test if your system supports it using not only Truecrypt as described above, but also using CPU-Z or Intel's Processor Identification Utility
    • A list of CPUs supporting AES-NI can be found here.
    • If your CPU is listed as supported, you may need a patched BIOS to enable it.
    • On some setups the BIOS update also needs to embed the latest microcode update for the CPU in order for it to work.

Don't hesitate to let your vendor know AES-NI is a feature you want if it doesn't work on your laptop. If you have contacts at hardware and review web sites, try bringing it up (politely) with people who run them, in an effort to give this more exposure. Also have a look through this thread, as people have been posting links to modified BIOSes for certain systems. Using a such a BIOS is at your own risk however, and the risk of bricking your computer is very real if you do it wrong.
    Last edited by Skywise; 5th February 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Updating with more info

Linux geek con rat flail!

Default Re: AES-NI support in TrueCrypt (Sandy Bridge problem)

There's often a BIOS switch to enable that feature, and it's usually disabled by default... have you checked that?
    HP Envy 15 | Win7x64 | i5-540M | Radeon 5830 1GB | 6GB DDR3-1066 | 256GB Crucial M225 SSD | Matte 15.6" 1920x1080
    Get your answers here!
    Answers: $5
    Good Answers: $10
    Correct Answers: $20
    Well-researched Answers complete with reference: time and materials
    Dumb looks are still free

Notebook Consultant

No BIOS switch or option, I checked. G73s normally don't come with a AES-NI capable CPU either, so I doubt Asus will add support for it. This is rather annoying, as AES-NI was a large reason for me to upgrade in the first place.

EDIT: Long shot - would it be possible to use UEFI to set/bypass it?

Notebook Consultant

I though AES-NI was allways enabled. It's enabled on my i7 620m, and there is no way to disable it. Why would they disable such feature on a ''pretty highend'' processor, that doesn't make sense. I don't even think there is a bios option at all to enable/disable aes-ni.
    Server / NAS (Ubuntu 13.04): Antec 300, Intel Celeron G1610 w/ Intel HD2500, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Kingston 1333/8GB DDR3, 8TB total diskspace
    Laptop school: Sony Vaio Pro 13: 1080p IPS Touchscreen, i5 4200U, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Intel HD4400, std. battery
    Netbook (Ubuntu 13.04): Asus EEE 1000H
    DB server (own website): Raspberry Pi rev2 (512MB) w/ Kingston 8GB SDcard

Notebook Virtuoso

is your 'upgrade' processor a real production chip or is it an engineering sample?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
    is your 'upgrade' processor a real production chip or is it an engineering sample?
    I bought the computer already configured from XoticPC, so I assume it's a production chip. I just got it, so I don't see a reason why it would be an engineering sample.

Notebook Virtuoso

I'm unclear here....

Was your laptop factory configured (from Asus) with the 2720 or did XoticPC 'upgrade' the machine with a CPU they themselves installed in their shop?

Notebook Consultant

AES-NI is an instruction set just like SSE is. On Intels site it says your chip has it so it is up to the software to detect and use it. Load up Cpuz it should list it in the supported instruction sets.

Intel® Core? i7-2720QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.20 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SR00W, SR014

Intel® Advanced Encryption Standard Instructions (AES-NI) - Intel® Software Network - Intel® Software Network

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
    Was your laptop factory configured (from Asus) with the 2720 or did XoticPC 'upgrade' the machine with a CPU they themselves installed in their shop?
    Upgrade. AES-NI is simply not detected by anything that it should show up as. CPU-Z specifically does not list it. Is there a way to check if it's an engineering sample, beyond opening up the laptop and removing the heatsink? (though I doubt that's the issue - I figure Xotic wouldn't be stupid enough to do that)

EDIT: Ran the Intel CPU ID check and it says AES-NI is not supported, but it also doesn't say anything about it being an engineering sample, like it should if that was the case.

Notebook Virtuoso

So what CPU *does* CPUID and/or the Intel CPU check say is installed?

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast