Quantcast DirectX over Remote Desktop?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default DirectX over Remote Desktop?

Has anybody tried this? How well does it work?

If it can provide a near native gaming experience, I'd seriously considering ditching a discrete GPU in my next laptop...

Master of all things Cake

Default Re: DirectX over Remote Desktop?

There are only 2 programs I know that do this....OnLive which requires you to have a internet connection to their servers.. and theres another program called
    StreamMyGame its simular to OnLive but you use your own computer to be the game server... the free version only streams in 800x600 but its cheap to upgrade.. I have never used it my self but friends say it works well on wifi

Notebook Deity

So I take it the only thing that works without 3rd party technology is Aero?

That's kinda disappointing, I must say...

Can you imagine the latency of this type of service?

Also, you will need a router that is capable of handling a bandwith large enough for streaming 1080p at full quality - which is a lot.
    i7-3930K│Asus P9X79│16GB DDR3 1866Mhz 9-10-9-27│EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature│Crucial M4 128GB│Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB│Silverstone FT02│2x Dell U2711│Windows 7 Ultimate
    Macbook Pro 13│Intel Core i7-2640M│8GB DDR3│Intel HD 3000│Crucial M4 256GB│OS X 10.7

Master of all things Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Peon View Post
    So I take it the only thing that works without 3rd party technology is Aero?

That's kinda disappointing, I must say...
    Not really... remote desktop is a way to manage machines from afar.... not for playing games

http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php will work for what you want but make sure you set it up right

NBR Janitor

You need to have at least a 6 Mbps connection to stream live HD video. You'd be lucky to have over 1 Mbps uplink for cable or DSL.
    Desktop: Core i7 960, 1 TB HDD, 6 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6870
    Asus G50vt-X1: P8400, 320 GB 7200 RPM, 4 GB RAM, 9800m GS
    Asus G1s-A1 - Dead Video Card

Notebook Evangelist

Aero is supported across RDS in a Virtual Desktop Deployment using Hyper-V when SP1 is installed and if the Server has an Aero Enabled Video Card...
    Jeff Roach - MCLC, MCT
    Surface RT - RT 8.1
    Samsung Series 5 UltraTouch - Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Notebook Virtuoso

I believe the client needs to be W7 SP1 and server(RDP host) must be 2008 R2 in order to have these video performance enhancement. IOW, fat chance for people on this forum as 2008 server is not a cheap item.
    we all want to be god of our small universe

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Lithus View Post
    You need to have at least a 6 Mbps connection to stream live HD video. You'd be lucky to have over 1 Mbps uplink for cable or DSL.
    Err, I never intended to take this outside of the house...

Quote Originally Posted by jnjroach View Post
    Aero is supported across RDS in a Virtual Desktop Deployment using Hyper-V when SP1 is installed and if the Server has an Aero Enabled Video Card...
    Aero has always been supported over Remote Desktop in Windows 7 Ultimate, even before SP1. IIRC, it's also supported in Windows Vista Business and above, but it's been a while so I can't say for sure that I'm not just remembering wrong.

What I'm now interested in is 3D gaming, especially on lesser versions of Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee View Post
    I believe the client needs to be W7 SP1 and server(RDP host) must be 2008 R2 in order to have these video performance enhancement. IOW, fat chance for people on this forum as 2008 server is not a cheap item.
    I got Server 2008 R2 through the Microsoft Action Pack. It's only $329 and you get tons of other software too, including 10 copies of Windows 7 and Office 2010, which should be more than enough to upgrade all computers in an average household.

I don't think anybody actually pays retail pricing (aka FPP aka the shrink wrapped boxes in Best Buy) for Microsoft software... If they do, they seriously need to do more research and comparison shopping because virtually everybody qualifies for some sort of discount or other. I mean, even the DIY desktop crowd goes for OEM Windows licenses rather than retail ones.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Peon View Post
    I got Server 2008 R2 through the Microsoft Action Pack. It's only $329 and you get tons of other software too, including 10 copies of Windows 7 and Office 2010, which should be more than enough to upgrade all computers in an average household.

I don't think anybody actually pays retail pricing (aka FPP aka the shrink wrapped boxes in Best Buy) for Microsoft software... If they do, they seriously need to do more research and comparison shopping because virtually everybody qualifies for some sort of discount or other. I mean, even the DIY desktop crowd goes for OEM Windows licenses rather than retail ones.
    Let's see the requirement for that

https://partner.microsoft.com/40016470
    we all want to be god of our small universe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast