Quantcast IE9 - Had it installed already, installed Windows Update version for it, now it's slow

Closed Thread
    Average Joe

Default IE9 - Had it installed already, installed Windows Update version for it, now it's slow

Title sum it up. I already had IE9 installed, but Windows Update whined that I needed to install it as an update. I did as it prompted, but am now finding that instead of taking 1 second to load, it now takes 5-6 seconds.

What gives? What can I do to fix this problem?

Notebook Deity

Default Re: IE9 - Had it installed already, installed Windows Update version for it, now it's slow

Did you do any tweaks to your self installed version, like multiple server/connection settings in the registry? I imagine the MS Update version would overwrite those.
    My current notebook, Dell Latitude D800: Pentium M 1.6ghz, 2GB RAM, Geforce Go FX 5650, 15.4in WUXGA, Windows XP SP3, Samsung HM160HC 160GB

My new netbook, Acer Timeline 1810T: Core 2 Duo 1.3ghz, 4GB RAM, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 11.6in WXGA, Windows 7 x64

Average Joe

Default Re: IE9 - Had it installed already, installed Windows Update version for it, now it's slow

Quote Originally Posted by nemt View Post
    Did you do any tweaks to your self installed version, like multiple server/connection settings in the registry? I imagine the MS Update version would overwrite those.
    Nope. Uninstalled it via the programs/features along with its respective update and downloaded the package from MS's website. Their standalone download package for some odd reason starts up much faster than the version they give through Windows Update.

Just wish they'd hurry up and update their 64-bit version so it runs fast as the 32-bit version.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
    Just wish they'd hurry up and update their 64-bit version so it runs fast as the 32-bit version.
    Nope, the development of Internet Explorer 9 was completed, thus Microsoft will most probably not include the JIT script complier into 64-bit IE9. It is the key component causing 32-bit IE 9 to be much faster than its 64-bit counterpart.

For us, let's hope that 64-bit IE 10 is developed to be faster than 32-bit IE 10.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
    Nope, the development of Internet Explorer 9 was completed, thus Microsoft will most probably not include the JIT script complier into 64-bit IE9. It is the key component causing 32-bit IE 9 to be much faster than its 64-bit counterpart.

For us, let's hope that 64-bit IE 10 is developed to be faster than 32-bit IE 10.

When is IE10 coming out again?

Notebook Consultant

IE 10 is rumored to be the default web browser of Windows 8. When Windows 8 is expected to released in 2013, then by then IE 10 is available for us to download.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
    IE 10 is rumored to be the default web browser of Windows 8. When Windows 8 is expected to released in 2013, then by then IE 10 is available for us to download.
    That's looking kind of far ahead...

Notebook Consultant

Yes, it is. For now, we cannot determine the release date of Windows 8. Perhaps, it can be released in 2012, but we are not sure.

Anyway, if I am not mistaken, IE 9 was developed within the time frame of 1 year. As Microsoft cannot afford to lose any ground to Firefox and Chrome in this browser war, expect that IE 10 will be developed within 1 year as well. Thus, 2012 is the earliest time that we can see the release of IE 10. However, do not be too disappointed if it can be released in 2013.

Notebook Evangelist

How come Internet Explorer 9 doesn't show up for me in Windows Update? I'm on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    How come Internet Explorer 9 doesn't show up for me in Windows Update? I'm on Windows Vista 64-bit.
    You can download it as a standalone for Vista 64-bit. But I got the alert on my Win7 machine when it was already installed. I guess Windows detected it as an obsolete version.