Quantcast Windows 7 - Unexpected I/O error has occurred?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Windows 7 - Unexpected I/O error has occurred?

My Acer 3820T won't boot up any more. Getting a Boot Manager error, 0xc00000e9, "An unexpected I/O error has occurred" black screen.

I'm guessing it's a Seagate Momentus XT Drive failure? I can't seem to boot the computer up at all. I've even tried with the ACER Recovery Disks I made, but it gets me past the Windows 7 screen, then just says "Please wait a moment" or something along those lines and never makes it off of that screen (have waited at least 40 minutes if not longer, mouse pointer moves around, but nothing happens).

I'm trying to download some new Win 7 Media onto a USB drive to try a reinstall, but does anyone have any other ideas?

I've tried the "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" option, but it gives me the same error.
    Acer 5920G - Core 2 T5250, Seagate 7200.4 500gb, 8600M GT, 4 GB DDR2
    Acer 3820T - Core i3-350, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid, Intel HD Graphics, 8GB DDR3

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Windows 7 - Unexpected I/O error has occurred?

Oh, and another thing. I have a Blac-X Thermaltake hard disk drive reader. But for some reason when I put my Seagate in there it won't read any of the partitions and just shows one disk that shows something like 78gb free on 100gb (think I did a 100gb partition) but when I click on it says "disk is empty"?
    Acer 3820T - Core i3-350, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid, Intel HD Graphics, 8GB DDR3

Notebook Deity

Do not try the USB first. Try some a new Windows DVD to see if that works.

1. Are you connecting the Blac-X to another another computer to check the drive?

2. Did you originally fill the Seagate drive? How many partitions did it have?

3. Try to format the Seagate drive from another computer and then run a check disk on it.

4. Look at the SMART data for the drive.
    Went through 5 Envys before I got one that was near "near perfect", or so I thought...

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by metril View Post
    Do not try the USB first. Try some a new Windows DVD to see if that works.

1. Are you connecting the Blac-X to another another computer to check the drive?

2. Did you originally fill the Seagate drive? How many partitions did it have?

3. Try to format the Seagate drive from another computer and then run a check disk on it.

4. Look at the SMART data for the drive.
    1. Yes (can't even boot up the 3820T)

2. I can't recall, but I think 4.

3. Problem is I need to get some of the data on that disk before I format (hence why I went the partition route thinking if Windows failed I'd just have to reinstall).

4. What is the "SMART" data?

Thanks...

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

BTW, just tried the "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" again, this time it actually took me to a Windows screen, but again seems to have hanged. Mouse works, has that blue Windows 7 screen background, but doesn't seem to be doing anything...

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

Wait ... I just remembered that when I turned the laptop off this morning (last time I used it) it asked if I wanted to install updates then shutdown, I clicked "yes" and left.

I wonder if it installed Windows 7 SP1 and that is causing the issues?

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

Well, have now tried to reinstall Windows 7 from a USB drive, but even that freezes (after I've clicked on Install Windows it goes to a "Preparing for setup" screen or something along those lines and just freezes).

So I decided to try and use Testdisk (TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity) to see if I can recover the drive. I can see one of my partitions using the BlacX drive dock(my own directory), but can't see my wife's partition for some reason (it just shows up as a blank drive).

Trying to run Testdisk isn't working either, I keep getting some strange error that "the program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing from your computer". I'm using the original drive that came with the Acer 3820T to run this.

Good lord this is frustrating!! Help!

NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Every time you try something that is writing to the disk, like reinstalling the OS, you are one step further away from ever recovering the data on the drive. The last thing you want is ANYTHING being done to that drive until you get your important data from it.

You need to stick with the drive in the external dock and use some data/disk recovery tools first. Although it may already be too late. The recovery disk you used may have already wiped out your wife's partition. However there are recovery tools that can even deal with that sort of issue, provided the data itself has not been over written.

Gary

pbc
    Notebook Evangelist

There is nothing on the main partition that I want to recover, only my wife's partition at this point.

In any event, is there a program you'd recco?

I am the walrus

testdisk is usually the best program for recovering data from kiboshed partitions.

It is not an easy program to use, though.

When it found your one partition but not the other, did you do the deep search for partitions, or just the standard?
    A desperate man for desperate times

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast