Quantcast 32Bit Ram Patch for Windows 7

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default 32Bit Ram Patch for Windows 7

hi did anyone try this software which patch the kernel allowing the 32bit windows version to utilize more than 4GB ram does it actually work

best regards

Notebook Deity

Default Re: 32Bit Ram Patch for Windows 7

Um, you cannot patch the kernel to suddenly start utilizing more than 4GB of ram. You can enable a different memory mapping scheme that allows Windows to see more than 4GB of memory address space, but it will not utilize it.

And what software?
    Went through 5 Envys before I got one that was near "near perfect", or so I thought...

Notebook Consultant

i'm talking about this one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1298096159_32rampatch.v1.0.w7.jpg  

Notebook Deity

Do not use it. You cannot magically patch the 32-bit kernel and magically allow the system to use more than 4GB of memory address space. It does not work that way. You can enable an option in 32 bit Windows that allows the system to see more than 4GB of RAM, but it will not be able to use it.
    Went through 5 Envys before I got one that was near "near perfect", or so I thought...

NBR Super Moderator

Bingo, this is utter foolishness. Enterprise 32-bit software allows the use of PAE to extend RAM support to beyond 4GB, but on consumer operating systems PAE's ability to do that is disabled (mostly for stability reasons).

You want more than 4GB of RAM, you need to move to a 64-bit OS. Period.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Notebook Evangelist

don't you think if it was that easy Microsoft would do it
    Aspire 8930G (win8.1 64bit)18.4" 1920x1080,Intel® Core™2 Extreme Mobile Processor X9100 3.066Ghz(OC to 3.6Ghz
    6GB DDR3 ,express 54 usb 3.0,120gb ssd/500gb hdd

Notebook Deity

Okay, I did a quick Google search on this patching nonsense. The OP does not understand at all what he/she is doing or is about to do.

The "patch" is nothing but PAE mode. The consumer versions of Windows have the PAE mode limit hard coded into the kernel. The enterprise version of Windows do not. By enterprise, I mean the server versions of 32bit Windows and not the Business versions. The "patch" supposedly rewrites part of the kernel. This is plain stupid. If you mess with the kernel without knowing what you're doing, you're just asking for it. End of story.

Windows is not meant to be messed with. Linux on the other hand is.
    Last edited by crash; 20th February 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: language

Notebook Virtuoso

PAE even it is enabled would not benefit 99% of the consumer applications out there. You need special coding to make use of it. One example I know is SQL server.

So don't waste the time, a 32 bit OS is limited to 4GB addressing space. Any RAM beyond it(not those between 3-4 which is a mapping issue that PAE cannot help) needs special coding to use and is otherwise seen by no one but the OS and would not be utilized.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal1ty39 View Post
    hi did anyone try this software which patch the kernel allowing the 32bit windows version to utilize more than 4GB ram does it actually work

best regards
    I don't know about that software but yes, by a simple modification the 32-bit kernel will let you access the extra memory some 32-bit Windows systems from Vista onwards ignore. As Greg points out the restriction was due to some poorly written drivers but having done my own tests on Vista SP1, SP2 and W7 using different hardware configurations I never had a single issue so either I was very lucky or the problematic drivers are not as common then as they were with XP SP1 which allowed full use of 4GB of RAM. If I'm using a 32-bit OS I don't bother doing it since 32-bit applications will generally only use up to 2GB of memory so with 3GB+ of usable RAM that is usually plenty anyway as I don't need to run several large programs at once.

Probably the simplest way to use the Windows ignored memory mapped above the 4GB physical address range is to use one of the RAMDisk softwares that have their own memory management to make use of it.

Oh, and the PAE thing. That is nearly always enabled by default and is transparent to applications so no special coding is needed for them, it's only some of the drivers that use physical memory that need to be aware.

Notebook Deity

The driver issue with PAE had something to do with drivers back in 2004 not understanding memory address spaces above 4 GB. As a result, when MS enabled PAE in XP SP2 (supposedly, DEP depends on PAE), they also hard coded the 4GB limit. However, virtually all drivers in 2011 are 64-bit compatible, so this is not much of an issue these days.

Still, I don't see the point in doing this given how you can use both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 with the same product key. If you buy the retail boxed (FPP) Windows 7, Microsoft even throws in both DVDs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast