Quantcast improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio - Page 2

View Poll Results: Did you notice difference in soundquality?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • ZOMG IT IMPROVE MY SOUND QUALITY O.O

    3 18.75%
  • nah i didn't notice any difference

    13 81.25%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inventing the piano key necktie.
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    I'm stuck with the crappy sigmatel stuff...good work nonetheless though!
    Laptop/TabletPC : Dell Latitude D630/Venue 8 pro
    Phones: *lots of Windows Mobile phones* | Nexus 5

    PortableDigest.com mobile reviewer - writer
    "It's like the Ross of app stores" ~Storyoho on BlackBerry App World

  2. #12
    Master Viking
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huge Tracts of Land
    Posts
    16,779
    Rep Power
    96

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    No matter how good your drivers it cant do anything for you if you have poor hardware

    Im using the 2.54 drivers the newest ones, but I dont expect much of laptop speakers even a high end model like the Asus G73, my headphones come on and my DAC gets plugged in when its time for any serious listening.

    This bypasses both the hardware and software limitations of a laptop.

  3. #13
    /dev/null
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    No matter how good your drivers it cant do anything for you if you have poor hardware

    Im using the 2.54 drivers the newest ones, but I dont expect much of laptop speakers even a high end model like the Asus G73, my headphones come on and my DAC gets plugged in when its time for any serious listening.

    This bypasses both the hardware and software limitations of a laptop.
    This is not true.
    In fact high end laptops comes with better drivers with extra features and driver customisation with 3rd party sound software companies.
    The latest OEM driver from Realtek usually do not come with the extra tweaks so I recommend googling a high end laptop with a Audio Codec similar to the ones found in your laptop.
    Some laptop driver ALC CODEC is found and collected here. Much better than OEM Drivers.
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

  4. #14
    Master Viking
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Huge Tracts of Land
    Posts
    16,779
    Rep Power
    96

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    The new drivers are just the DRIVERS not the software.

    I still have all the creative xfi software and abilities.

    My point being though that no matter how good your drivers/software it cant make bad hardware suddenly be good. It may help make it sound better but you cant make cheap laptop speakers suddenly be high quality no matter what you do.

  5. #15
    /dev/null
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    It may help make it sound better.
    Considering the drivers are free, it is good enough.
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

  6. #16
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nottingham(UK)
    Posts
    645
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Quote Originally Posted by weinter View Post
    This is not true.
    In fact high end laptops comes with better drivers with extra features and driver customisation with 3rd party sound software companies.
    The latest OEM driver from Realtek usually do not come with the extra tweaks so I recommend googling a high end laptop with a Audio Codec similar to the ones found in your laptop.
    Some laptop driver ALC CODEC is found and collected here. Much better than OEM Drivers.
    i have found that all these so called 3rd party customised dll`s on that site you list are infact in the OEM realtek drivers, i have checked r2.52/r2.53 and the latest r2.54
    so they havent been added by msi/asus or acer to there drivers
    Aspire 8930G (win8 64bit)18.4" 1920x1080,Intel® Core™2 Extreme Mobile Processor X9100 3.066Ghz(OC to 3.6Ghz
    6GB DDR3 ,express 54 usb 3.0,120gb ssd/500gb hdd

  7. #17
    /dev/null
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Quote Originally Posted by shakennstirred View Post
    i have found that all these so called 3rd party customised dll`s on that site you list are infact in the OEM realtek drivers, i have checked r2.52/r2.53 and the latest r2.54
    so they havent been added by msi/asus or acer to there drivers
    Check the download size.
    It means something.
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

  8. #18
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Ok listen up folks. This thing is a suite of post processing effects. You may find that many of the extra dlls are actually similar in function to native VST signal processing tools used by people that make music on their computer except that these ones use the live monitor output as the input. Like VST they will load down your cpu though ow much depends on your native sampling rate, how many of these signal processors you are running simultaneously and how many channels you are affecting.

    Notably, these tools are:

    1) a combination compressor/expander/noise gate (suppresses sudden changes in volume, reduces dynamic range but the corollary of this is that you can turn up the volume higher and not futz out the speakers. Also gates out signal below a predefined threshold.) Note: if you play 2x identical sounds where 1 is very slightly but noticeably louder than the other, most people will pick the louder one as sounding better. Its a weird but consistent listening phenomenon that works up until the loudness becomes discomforting or painful.

    2) Bass Boost. This probably uses some type of fourier analysis to detect the lowest frequency and highest amplitude partial in realtime and then uses an EQ or some sort of resonant filterbank to add a partial one octave below that.

    3) Treble Boost. Hard to tell what this is from their product description but it is more than likely a high shelf EQ and/or a (high) frequency dependent stereo widener.

    4) an EQ. This is a straight up paragraphic EQ which can be quite useful for sound shaping but it also gives you enough flexibility to completely warp the sound you are listening to. For example, you can change the lowest pitch reference, you can filter out all the low and high frequency content leaving only 'telephonic' sound or you can use it to make basically anything sound incredibly unnatural.

    This would be akin to going into custom RGB mode on your monitor. For instance, you may not be happy with the way a picture of the open sea looks so you boost alot of blue to really bring it out. But then you change image to something thats very yellow (like a beach) and it now looks really green because theres too much blue. When you use EQ it has the same effect, it can make something sound a little more sparkly in the treble but then you change songs to something with really loud klangy hihats and the treble becomes unbearable.

    5) a Stereo Widener. This is a simple but clever trick that you can do in audicity manually if you like but which this does in realtime. It delays the left channel a couple of milliseconds after the right channel or vice versa. As you increase the delay you will get a...'rotational' sort of effect and an exaggerated sense that the sound is coming from the far left and right at the same time. Increase the delay enough and eventually one channel will be perceived as an echo of the other.

    This can exaggerate stereo effects and make them sound cooler but it wrecks mono compatibility because of destructive phasing.

    6) 'Maxx Dialog'. This is a weird one. It looks like it takes a stereo pair and sums both to mono. Then it remixes this back into the original stereo pair and gives you gain control. I'm not sure what to make of that but if you think it makes things sound better then fair enough.

    Conclusion:

    What these tools do is give you some control over the auditory illusion that the sound is trying to present. However, at some point it is important to realise that that the engineer/producer recorded and mixed the audio a certain way and that it was a deliberate, creative decision. Therefore, it is just as easy to defeat the illusion as it is to enhance it. Now theres no harm in trying to squeeze a little bit more bass out of tiny speakers and these tools let you do that though that too is something of an illusion because the woofers will be so small that they won't be able to produce low bass with linearity anyway.

    That said, what counts is your enjoyment and that will subjectively vary from person to person. I would like to point out though that the absolute biggest improvement the average person can do for sound quality is to simply buy bigger and better built speakers and to listen to them in an environment that sounds pleasant. Everything else is more or less irrelevant to a point and that point almost certainly will not concern consumers (i.e. you won't be buying soundcards for the amount of simultaneous audio and MIDI I/O they can provide).
    Last edited by Hayte; 21st November 2010 at 08:54 AM.

  9. #19
    /dev/null
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayte View Post
    Ok listen up folks. This thing is a suite of post processing effects. You may find that many of the extra dlls are actually similar in function to native VST signal processing tools used by people that make music on their computer except that these ones use the live monitor output as the input. Like VST they will load down your cpu though ow much depends on your native sampling rate, how many of these signal processors you are running simultaneously and how many channels you are affecting.

    Notably, these tools are:

    1) a combination compressor/expander/noise gate (suppresses sudden changes in volume, reduces dynamic range but the corollary of this is that you can turn up the volume higher and not futz out the speakers. Also gates out signal below a predefined threshold.) Note: if you play 2x identical sounds where 1 is very slightly but noticeably louder than the other, most people will pick the louder one as sounding better. Its a weird but consistent listening phenomenon that works up until the loudness becomes discomforting or painful.

    2) Bass Boost. This probably uses some type of fourier analysis to detect the lowest frequency and highest amplitude partial in realtime and then uses an EQ or some sort of resonant filterbank to add a partial one octave below that.

    3) Treble Boost. Hard to tell what this is from their product description but it is more than likely a high shelf EQ and/or a (high) frequency dependent stereo widener.

    4) an EQ. This is a straight up paragraphic EQ which can be quite useful for sound shaping but it also gives you enough flexibility to completely warp the sound you are listening to. For example, you can change the lowest pitch reference, you can filter out all the low and high frequency content leaving only 'telephonic' sound or you can use it to make basically anything sound incredibly unnatural.

    This would be akin to going into custom RGB mode on your monitor. For instance, you may not be happy with the way a picture of the open sea looks so you boost alot of blue to really bring it out. But then you change image to something thats very yellow (like a beach) and it now looks really green because theres too much blue. When you use EQ it has the same effect, it can make something sound a little more sparkly in the treble but then you change songs to something with really loud klangy hihats and the treble becomes unbearable.

    5) a Stereo Widener. This is a simple but clever trick that you can do in audicity manually if you like but which this does in realtime. It delays the left channel a couple of milliseconds after the right channel or vice versa. As you increase the delay you will get a...'rotational' sort of effect and an exaggerated sense that the sound is coming from the far left and right at the same time. Increase the delay enough and eventually one channel will be perceived as an echo of the other.

    This can exaggerate stereo effects and make them sound cooler but it wrecks mono compatibility because of destructive phasing.

    6) 'Maxx Dialog'. This is a weird one. It looks like it takes a stereo pair and sums both to mono. Then it remixes this back into the original stereo pair and gives you gain control. I'm not sure what to make of that but if you think it makes things sound better then fair enough.

    Conclusion:

    What these tools do is give you some control over the auditory illusion that the sound is trying to present. However, at some point it is important to realise that that the engineer/producer recorded and mixed the audio a certain way and that it was a deliberate, creative decision. Therefore, it is just as easy to defeat the illusion as it is to enhance it. Now theres no harm in trying to squeeze a little bit more bass out of tiny speakers and these tools let you do that though that too is something of an illusion because the woofers will be so small that they won't be able to produce low bass with linearity anyway.

    That said, what counts is your enjoyment and that will subjectively vary from person to person. I would like to point out though that the absolute biggest improvement the average person can do for sound quality is to simply buy bigger and better built speakers and to listen to them in an environment that sounds pleasant. Everything else is more or less irrelevant to a point and that point almost certainly will not concern consumers (i.e. you won't be buying soundcards for the amount of simultaneous audio and MIDI I/O they can provide).
    Yea I agree
    On those custom drivers certain low pitch notes sounded terrible but overall I still think it sounded much better.
    Thanks for the info
    Selling OS X to Linux Users is like selling inferior ice to Eskimos.

  10. #20
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: improve sound quality of virtually any laptop with realtek audio

    I have found the Turtle Beach USB device to be the simplest way to greatly enhance the sound from a laptop. (only $29) link here: USB Sound Card | Audio Advantage Micro II | Turtle Beach

    Actually, the improvement is significant and provides excellent sound.
    T400, Win XP Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2), LED, 160g/7200 HD, DVD R/W, Blue, 4G Mem, WiMAX 5350, 4 & 6 cell batteries, Advanced Mini-Dock

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1