Quantcast Downgrade from Win7 Ultimate (pirated) to Pro (on COA) - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

Default Re: Downgrade from Win7 Ultimate (pirated) to Pro (on COA)

Quote Originally Posted by kobe_24 View Post
    I do not see why the original owner felt the need to put a pirate install of windows 7 on a new computer.
    The seller wipes hard drive, along goes the recovery partition that he notices afterwards. Then he remembers that there's no recovery discs made either. Duh.

So he downloads random Win7 install disc and installs it right away. He might not know about the ei.cfg and the disc automatically installs Ultimate. Because the COA key does not work with Ultimate and seller is in a hurry, he just decides to apply some crack to keep computer working and sends it away...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

when the going gets weird

Even if that works, I would do a clean, legal install

NBR Super Moderator

You want to install a fresh version, clean format, no exceptions. Who knows what malware is built into whatever crack was installed on that copy of W7.

File a claim against the seller on eBay/PayPal and document this with screenshots. They do not take lightly the fact that illegal goods are sold via their site and they will take action by forcing the seller to reimburse you for a copy of W7 Ultimate (that is, after all, what the seller sold you).
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Moderately Boss

Greg is spot on. Clean install is the only way to go.

Inspect the laptop thoroughly, you dont know what else the seller lied about

Threaten the seller about reporting it to MS if needed be
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

KLF
    NBR Super Modernator

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ross View Post
    You want to install a fresh version, clean format, no exceptions. Who knows what malware is built into whatever crack was installed on that copy of W7.

File a claim against the seller on eBay/PayPal and document this with screenshots. They do not take lightly the fact that illegal goods are sold via their site and they will take action by forcing the seller to reimburse you for a copy of W7 Ultimate (that is, after all, what the seller sold you).
    Did seller sell W7 pro license, but installed ultimate instead?
    Or was the Ultimate Edition actually advertized and sold?

Because... before you hang the man you should first verify he was knowing what he was doing. For some users there is only Windows 7, they don't know that it even has multiple versions. Still today some people can't tell what version they are using.

If the seller was knowingly doing wrong, then he has no excuses and deserves everything that can be thought of.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack scouts on fire off the shoulder of Well6. I watched sentryguns glitter in the dark near the 2fort4 gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Titles Shmm-itles

You don't necessarily have to wipe the whole computer. You can perform a clean install that will place a new OS on your harddrive but keep all the old data. Your old programs will not work in this state though. At the very least, you'll have your old files that you can copy over to the new OS installation.
    Dell Inspiron 1420 HP tz2500 Tablet PC Lenovo X200T Dell XT2 x 2
    Too close for missiles/ Switching to guns
    Jack Daniels/ Jim Beam/ Johnnie Walker/ Jose Cuervo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12