Quantcast What do I do to minimize the number of 'processes' running on my computer?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Deity

Default What do I do to minimize the number of 'processes' running on my computer?

There are 59 processes running on my computer right now. How can I keep that to a minimum?

Do all of the programs that I run have to be in the system tray?

I have McAffee, Dell quickset, Daemon tools, Local area connection, Palm desktop, Spybot SD resident, Intel Proset, and Virtual drive running on the bottom right hand corner.
    Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3

2009 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment

Tim
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: What do I do to minimize the number of 'processes' running on my computer?

I would use msconfig and stop the non essential programs from starting up when you power on your laptop. Just search the program name in google to make sure it is safe to do.

You could also use ccleaner.

Tim

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: What do I do to minimize the number of 'processes' running on my computer?

Everyone is saying so. But how exactly can you be sure you can safely delete certain programs. I know sometimes you can tell by the names but on the other hand sometimes it can be clueless.

I also know you could backup everthing then delete programs on a trial and error basis but there must be an easier way, isn't it?

Notebook Guru

Like timu24 said, just google the process and see if it is essential to the running of your computer. If you're unsure about the process, test it. Turn that process off, reboot, see if everything's okay with your laptop. Repeat with the rest of the processes.

I found http://www.liutilities.com to be very helpful when I went through the process.

Notebook Deity

I have 8 icons in the bottom right hand corner. Do they all need to be there for the programs to function (ie McAffee, Quickset, Lan card, etc)?

Thanks for the responses.
    Last edited by titaniummd; 28th April 2006 at 09:58 PM.
    Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3

2009 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment

Notebook Enthusiast

Definately use MSCONFIG!!
    Laptop, Inspiron 6000, 40gb 5400rpm HDD, Intel PRO Wireless a/b/g 54mb, 512mb RAM, CD-R-RW Writer DVD Reader, Intel Centrino 1.8ghz

Tower, 120gb Segate (Docs, Games, etc.), 6gb Seagate (Music), Shuttle AV49n, Intel 2.66ghz
    768mb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 4TI 128mb Upgrading to 256mb by June, Netgear 108 SuperG Card, Via 10/100 7 Fans + 1 PSU Fan.

Notebook Consultant

go to run and type "msconfig" to bring up system configuration utility. Go to the "startup tab" and identify each program by searching for the "Startup Item" name here:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

If you wish to remove the startup process just uncheck it. Do this for each item on the list.
    Dell B120 -Painted CandyAppleRed, P-M 715 1.5Ghz@2GHz & undervolted, Arctic Silver Ceramique, Lapped Heatsink, 14.1” WXGA, 1x512MB DDR Memory, 40GB HDD, Dell 1370 wireless
    Aspire X-QPack -Asus P4P800-VM -Celeron M 1.4Ghz@2.38Ghz,ASC, Lapped, 2x1Gig DDR3200 ST Mem, 300Gig DiamondMax, Viewsonic VX2025WM 20" Monitor, need to buy a vid card still

The Cable Guy

You'll want to leave your antivirus, firewall, wireless utilities, and other essential things running.
    but everything else that you can stop from starting up with your computer, remove them.
    If it's not something that is required for the computer to run properly, take it out.

If you need to use a program, start it when you need it. And then close it when you're done. It doesn't need to sit in your startup or system tray if you're not going to use it.
    -= Sager 5760! - "Shadowdale" =-
    * 17" WSXGA (1680x1050) * Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2GHz *
    * 2G DDR2/667 RAM * 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HD *
    * nVidia 7900GTX 512M! (OC'd to 570/750!) *
    * 3dMark05 - 9300 3dMark06 - 5280 *

Notebook Guru

Is there a way to order how things start up? I have a couple programs that run on start that look for the internet before my computer's internal wireless connects.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Elminst
    You'll want to leave your antivirus, firewall, wireless utilities, and other essential things running.
    I assumed you'd understand this much but it's good to note. Also sysinfo.org will let you know what items should and shouldn't be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by mech_e
    Is there a way to order how things start up? I have a couple programs that run on start that look for the internet before my computer's internal wireless connects.
    It doesn't matter much to me but a quick search finds this:

http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/winxp...m#StartupOrder
    Dell B120 -Painted CandyAppleRed, P-M 715 1.5Ghz@2GHz & undervolted, Arctic Silver Ceramique, Lapped Heatsink, 14.1” WXGA, 1x512MB DDR Memory, 40GB HDD, Dell 1370 wireless
    Aspire X-QPack -Asus P4P800-VM -Celeron M 1.4Ghz@2.38Ghz,ASC, Lapped, 2x1Gig DDR3200 ST Mem, 300Gig DiamondMax, Viewsonic VX2025WM 20" Monitor, need to buy a vid card still