Quantcast Win 7 mouse cursor changes by itself!?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Win 7 mouse cursor changes by itself!?

I have win7 x64 ultimate and the cursor just changed itself to this cursor thats a 2 cm vertical line with tiny lines to the right of it. Also when you click a link the cursor changes to upwards chevrons with the typical windows aero colours flowing through them.

I managed to switch it back by selecting default pointer in the mouse options. But I would like to know why this happened and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

Unfortunately I don't have a screen capture of it. But it was a very weird mouse cursor to have. I kept thinking who would ever use such a large ugly mouse pointer?

Thanks!

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Win 7 mouse cursor changes by itself!?

It sounds like you might have installed an animated cursor setup.

Is there any chance you or someone who uses your machine might have been browsing web sites that offer 'free' themes, fonts, and cursors? I've seen things get downloaded and activated by accident.

To change back to 'normal', check out your mouse properties in control panel.

And, be sure to run a full malware scan with malwarebytes and the msft tools.

Notebook Evangelist

Thanks for your suggestion. I scanned with Hijackthis and malware bytes and its clean. I did go to 1 site a couple days ago that was a google theme changing site but I opted not to use it. Also since it was days ago I would be surprised if they installed some cursor only now. Besides that no sites like you describe.

Notebook Deity

As long as it doesn't come back, you're probably fine.

Notebook Evangelist

I think I have the same issue you are describing. On my work pc, I have my screen set to go blank after 10 minutes. Quite often, when I wake up the screen, the arrow has changed from what it should look like to what you are describing.

It's not a virus/malware issue, that much I know.

Multi_Booting_Master

this might be a legit bug in Win 7, it has happened to me before, but it went away in like a minute by itself (and I am 100% sure that my system has no viruses/malware)
    ThinkPad W520
    i7 2920QM / 4x4 Gb ram / Quadro 2000M / 128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen + X-RiteŽ color calibration sensor / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery / Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Legal Windows 7 Download Links (Nice Try, but you still need a key!)
    The HP Laptop Out-Of-The-Box Guide 2.0 for Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by smood View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. I scanned with Hijackthis and malware bytes and its clean. I did go to 1 site a couple days ago that was a google theme changing site but I opted not to use it. Also since it was days ago I would be surprised if they installed some cursor only now. Besides that no sites like you describe.
    Hi you Ladies and gentlemen
    this Mouse thingy is killing me and the things is, I can't see the Thread
    it make my Mouse look like a brucs
    if anyone found a solution please share it,
    this makes me go nuts and relogin to my windows 7 Ultimate on a 2 year old 32 bit toshiba dual core I have