Quantcast Any way to reinstall windows 7 starter?

Closed Thread

Default Any way to reinstall windows 7 starter?

I just bought a gateway netbook about 6 weeks ago. I originally had windows 7 starter on it but a friend suggested i try ubuntu. I did, and the Ubuntu os is good and all, but it freezes alot and i am unable to use some programs that i had no problem with on the windows OS. I have the authentication number on the bottom of the computer, but as it is a netbook i have no re installation disc. How could i go about reinstalling windows 7 starter? I did not make a back up disc with the os.

Default Re: Any way to reinstall windows 7 starter?

Your notebook should have a hidden restore partition. Just restore from that.
    i7-3930K│Asus P9X79│16GB DDR3 1866Mhz 9-10-9-27│EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature│Crucial M4 128GB│Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB│Silverstone FT02│2x Dell U2711│Windows 7 Ultimate
    Macbook Pro 13│Intel Core i7-2640M│8GB DDR3│Intel HD 3000│Crucial M4 256GB│OS X 10.7

coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Yeah, the Netbook should have a hidden partiton for backup, depending on what type depends on how you get to it.
    Mid-2010 15inch Macbook Pro

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bolen View Post
    I just bought a gateway netbook about 6 weeks ago. I originally had windows 7 starter on it but a friend suggested i try ubuntu. I did, and the Ubuntu os is good and all, but it freezes alot and i am unable to use some programs that i had no problem with on the windows OS. I have the authentication number on the bottom of the computer, but as it is a netbook i have no re installation disc. How could i go about reinstalling windows 7 starter? I did not make a back up disc with the os.
    Quote Originally Posted by CZX58 Shadow View Post
    Your notebook should have a hidden restore partition. Just restore from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelkrause57 View Post
    Yeah, the Netbook should have a hidden partiton for backup, depending on what type depends on how you get to it.
    If you formatted the drive during the installation - and not just the partition you installed Ubuntu on, then the recovery partition is most likely gone.

You should have had the ability to burn recovery discs... if you didn't...

Call up Gateway and buy a recovery disc from them...

PS: Just to make sure, read the manual which key you need to hit immediately after POST to attempt a recovery - if its still there then you're lucky and can use that.

Quote Originally Posted by DetlevCM View Post
    If you formatted the drive during the installation - and not just the partition you installed Ubuntu on, then the recovery partition is most likely gone.

You should have had the ability to burn recovery discs... if you didn't...

Call up Gateway and buy a recovery disc from them...

PS: Just to make sure, read the manual which key you need to hit immediately after POST to attempt a recovery - if its still there then you're lucky and can use that.
    But when he formats, wouldn't it just format the volume that he has selected for the Ubuntu install, which would only be the partition of the drive, not the whole drive?
    i7-3930K│Asus P9X79│16GB DDR3 1866Mhz 9-10-9-27│EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature│Crucial M4 128GB│Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB│Silverstone FT02│2x Dell U2711│Windows 7 Ultimate
    Macbook Pro 13│Intel Core i7-2640M│8GB DDR3│Intel HD 3000│Crucial M4 256GB│OS X 10.7

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CZX58 Shadow View Post
    But when he formats, wouldn't it just format the volume that he has selected for the Ubuntu install, which would only be the partition of the drive, not the whole drive?
    Depends on what he selected.

I know windows can do both.

Now I know Suse can install to unallocated space - but as I mentioned - depends what the OP selected and did.
    If he was lucky he kept the recovery partition, or maybe he didn't.