Quantcast skype makes my computer really slow - need help!

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default skype makes my computer really slow - need help!

Hey, can anyone help me? I recently downloaded skype 2.0 and it freezes my laptop when I start it up. I currenly have a Dell 510M with 1.3GHz celeron M and 640MB of RAM. I have used skype successfully before on this laptop, don't know what's gone wrong.

When I eventually get it to work, it is still very slow and unresponsive. I have gotten through to someone on a call once, but their voice was slow and distorted. It uses 100% of my CPU when I run it too.

Any help would be great, skype is a programme I use regularly.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Thanks

Notebook Deity

Default Re: skype makes my computer really slow - need help!

go the previous version, which you have used successfully. Skype is a very demanding messanger and 1.3 Celeron may not be enough.
    "The effect of liberty to individuals is, that they may do what they please; we ought to see what it will please them to do, before we risk congratulations."
    Edmund Burke
    L2000 LiveStrong

Notebook Consultant

thanks vassil. Does anyone know where i can get the previous version of skype from?

Overclocker

Skype should have no problem running on a Celeron 1.3. The System requirements from skype.com: "We also recommend that you have at least 400 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM and 15 MB free disk space on your hard drive." I don't know what to tell you about it freezing. It should be fine. You could try running a previous version. Perhaps you could Google an older version of skype that you could download.

Also be sure to check for spyware and adaware. This could be slowing down your system.

You could also try disableing it to start up when windows boots. Go to Start -> RUN -> type "msconfig" -> OK -> Startup -> then uncheck "Skype". Then after your system boots up you can try and run skype.

Good luck!

-Jason
    Notebook:
    Latitude e6400: C2D 2.53Ghz - 4GB's DDR2 - 250GB 7200RPM HD - nVidia Quadro NVS 160M - Webcam - Bt- DVD-RW -

Desktop Rig:
    Q6600 - OCZ Vendetta 2 (Lapped) - Gigabyte DS3R - 4GB's DDR2 1000Mhz OCZ - eVGA 9800GTX - 2x640GB (RAID1) + 1x500GB - OCZ 700W

The worlds brightest flashlights! www.TacticalHID.com

Notebook Deity

"The effect of liberty to individuals is, that they may do what they please; we ought to see what it will please them to do, before we risk congratulations."
    Edmund Burke
    L2000 LiveStrong