Quantcast Homegroup icon suddenly appeared on desktop? Why?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Homegroup icon suddenly appeared on desktop? Why?

I just noticed that a homegroup icon suddenly appeared on the desktop today. What is it and why did it suddenly show up? I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Default Re: Homegroup icon suddenly appeared on desktop? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by techNOguy View Post
    I just noticed that a homegroup icon suddenly appeared on the desktop today. What is it and why did it suddenly show up? I'm using Windows 7 Pro x64.
    what homegroup is, you should know, but it's another topic (in short, it's awesome )

why the icon on the desktop? well, i guess you accidentally dragged the homegroup icon in explorer out of the window, which created a shortcut on the desktop. i know, always blame the user.. but it happened to me, too
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by techNOguy View Post
    Been there.

What happened in my case is that when I was connecting to a new network, I accidentally created a homegroup (it is one of the windows/options that will open up when connecting to a new network). Delete your current homegroup (you can see it at the network and sharing center), and the homegroup icon on your desktop should disappear as well.
    Current notebook:
    Samsung Chronos Series 7 NP770Z5E-S01SG - 2.40 GHz Intel Core i7-3635QM - AMD HD8870M 2GB GDDR5 - 12GB RAM - SandDisk Extreme SSD 240GB

Previously owned: TX2-1011AU || DM4-1103TX || ENVY14-1205TX || DV6-6105TX || ENVY13-1103TX || ENVY14-2013TX || MBA 13 2011 || ENVY15-3006TX

Formerly 'myDooM'

It's a nice feature, but i like to keep my away from my family so yeah, i've disabled it completely.

I am the walrus

Homegroup libraries allow you to make files as accessible or inaccessible as you like
    A desperate man for desperate times

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by REB! View Post
    It's a nice feature, but i like to keep my away from my family so yeah, i've disabled it completely.
    enable it again, and just don't share your files. that allows you to use the shared files of your family (and their printers and such).

well, my setup is home-server-based, so it's a bit different anyways. homeserver2 should have homegroup integrated, will be fun
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available