Quantcast AdThwart or AdBlock? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which adblocker is better?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • AdThwart

5 21.74%
  • AdBlock

20 86.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Waiting on Intel Skylake

Default Re: AdThwart or AdBlock?

This is why, for now, adblocking in Chrome is horrid compared to FF. I use Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper, it works really well.

And how are these two the best out of:
    • Adblock Plus (seems to have disappeared)
    • Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper
    • Adblock
    • Adsweep
    • Adthrawt
    • Adblock Chromium
    • Adblock Lite

Last edited by Jayayess1190; 27th January 2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Lenovo X220

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
    This is why, for now, adblocking in Chrome is horrid compared to FF. I use Adblock Plus because I found the others slowed down Chrome when I tried them before. Maybe they have gotten better now.

And how are these two the best out of:
    • Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper
    • Adblock
    • Adsweep
    • Adthrawt
    • Adblock Chromium
    • Adblock Lite

looks like my guess was quite good and i understand google for not wanting to be able to completely remove ads / scripts, as they are one of the big users of those. which is what i stated from day 0 of chrome's existence: allowing a real adblock on it's own browser would mean their own business being in danger. chrome is for free, they make their money out of ads.
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by davepermen View Post
    does the addon api of chrome allow html to be parsed and striped before chrome renders it?

because if not, there is no other way to implement adblockers than to wait for all the ads to get loaded, and then hiding them.

in firefox, i know it's possible to intercept before the actual drawing of the page, and before the loading of the subcontent of the page, so you can stripe the ads out completely.

might be that google doesn't want the pre-interception as it would potentially hurt their own advertising and analytics tools that get loaded on so much pages. i dunno, haven't read the addon api of chrome.
    I think I read that Google is fine with ad blockers even though, yes they make a lot of money from their ads. But what I was getting at is, for Adblock Chromium, you can't see the ads at all. My main problem with the other ad blockers was that you could see them when you visited the page, and then after a second they disappear, but the page would move, so when I was about to click a link, I would miss, because the deleted ad took up the empty space. In ABC, right when I visit the page, I don't even see the ad at all. So there is no page moving.
    Notebook: HP DV2550 Verve Special Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.5 ghz, 160GB HD, 3gb ram, 12 cell battery, Windows 7 Professional x86
    Google CR-48 ChromeOS Netbook
    Desktop: Antec Nine Hundred 2, Q8200 Core 2 Quad, 2.33 ghz, 1 TB HD, 4 gb ram, 1 gb NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, Windows 7 Professional x64
    Dual 22" 3360x1050 Resolution
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Logitech VX Nano
    Logitech Z-2300

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Quote Originally Posted by McGrady View Post
    I think I read that Google is fine with ad blockers even though, yes they make a lot of money from their ads. But what I was getting at is, for Adblock Chromium, you can't see the ads at all. My main problem with the other ad blockers was that you could see them when you visited the page, and then after a second they disappear, but the page would move, so when I was about to click a link, I would miss, because the deleted ad took up the empty space. In ABC, right when I visit the page, I don't even see the ad at all. So there is no page moving.
    as stated, adblockers can't REMOVE the html-parts while it's loading. it looks like the page always has to be loaded fully first (with ads and scripts and all), and THEN remove them afterwards.

this, technically, would not be adblocking, it would be adhiding.

adblock chromium, is that an addon, or is that how chromium, the open alternative to chrome, handles adblocking? if it's for chromium only, then, well, there they can intercept the full html parsing and block it right there.
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by davepermen View Post
    as stated, adblockers can't REMOVE the html-parts while it's loading. it looks like the page always has to be loaded fully first (with ads and scripts and all), and THEN remove them afterwards.

this, technically, would not be adblocking, it would be adhiding.

adblock chromium, is that an addon, or is that how chromium, the open alternative to chrome, handles adblocking? if it's for chromium only, then, well, there they can intercept the full html parsing and block it right there.
    It is an add-on. I understand Chrome doesn't have that ability yet to BLOCK ads, but for the particular add on AdBlock Chromium, it does it instantly I guess. I NEVER see the ads, whereas the other ones, I am able to see the ads and then it hides them.
    Notebook: HP DV2550 Verve Special Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.5 ghz, 160GB HD, 3gb ram, 12 cell battery, Windows 7 Professional x86
    Google CR-48 ChromeOS Netbook
    Desktop: Antec Nine Hundred 2, Q8200 Core 2 Quad, 2.33 ghz, 1 TB HD, 4 gb ram, 1 gb NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, Windows 7 Professional x64
    Dual 22" 3360x1050 Resolution
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Logitech VX Nano
    Logitech Z-2300

Notebook Virtuoso

AdThwart has the ability to delay images, flash and frames so that they are not shown while loading pages. It delays them till it can remove them.

Notebook Prophet

I prefer AdBlock to AdThwart because Adblock has a feature that lets me block ads that get through and submit it to them so they can fix it for everyone else. I also prefer the user interface more as it is more refined and for those who like using what everyone else has it is the 2nd most used Chrome addon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12