Quantcast How do I stop those alert ads that won't let me navigate away unless I click OK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How do I stop those alert ads that won't let me navigate away unless I click OK?

When I try to leave a website, the alert pops up and says to complete a survey or let them scan my computer for viruses, or hit cancel/close the alert to stay on the same page. Those me off so much, and I don't want to click the ok so they can install adware on my computer. Is there any way to disable those?

Notebook Nobel Laureate

Default Re: How do I stop those alert ads that won't let me navigate away unless I click OK?

Maybe disable some activex controlls?
    Clevo P150HM / Sager NP8150: i7-2630QM OEM (would trade for Q154) | 7970m | 8gb 1600mhz ram | 2x HDD
    Toshiba satellite P750 : B960 2.2Ghz |6gb 1333mhz ram | GT 540M |128gb Samsung SSD + 750gb HDD
    Alienware M17 / OCZ whitebook Arima w840di : SP9400 3.45Ghz (386Mhz FSB) | 9800m GT (dead)

Banned

Default Re: How do I stop those alert ads that won't let me navigate away unless I click OK?

Quote Originally Posted by ericyp View Post
    When I try to leave a website, the alert pops up and says to complete a survey or let them scan my computer for viruses, or hit cancel/close the alert to stay on the same page. Those me off so much, and I don't want to click the ok so they can install adware on my computer. Is there any way to disable those?
    Does that happen on every site you visit?
    If yes - potentially malware.

If its some sites - it may be legitimate - but even then, they don't tend to block you from leaving - and pop up at the beginning (looking at NY Times and Intel here...)

Notebook Deity

Install firefox.

Install no script and ad block plus.

Job done.
    Alienware M17x R4 Intel Core i7 3740QM 16GB 1600Mhz RAM 1080p Display Intel 320 160GB SSD 750GB 7200RPM HDD
    GTX 680M Killer Wireless N Windows 7 64bit

Notebook Virtuoso

pretty much anything but MSIE will let you control the things.

FFox with addons or Opera out of the box.

Notebook Evangelist
    Los Angeles, California + Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Quote Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
    pretty much anything but MSIE will let you control the things.
    To block annoying Pop-ups in IE8: Go into Internet Explorer, Tools, Pop-Up Blocker, and Pop-Up Blocker Settings. In Pop-Up Blocker Settings, at the bottom of the screen, open Blocking Levels, and select either Medium or High.

For additional help from Microsoft, at the very bottom of the same screen is a link entitled: "Learn more about Pop-Up Blocker." One section that has some relevant information for you is this one: "I turned on Pop-up Blocker but I still see some pop-ups. Why?"

The following are some common reasons why you might still be seeing pop-ups:
    You might have software, such as adware or spyware, on your computer that is opening pop-up windows. To stop these pop-ups, you will have to identify the software that is opening them and then remove it or change its settings to stop it from opening pop-up windows. For information about detecting and removing adware and spyware, see Spyware: frequently asked questions.
    Some windows with active content are not blocked.
    Internet Explorer will not block pop-ups from websites that are in the Local intranet zone. If you want the pop-ups from these websites to be blocked, you have to remove the websites from this zone. For more information, see Security zones: adding or removing websites.

You might also try raising your Security and Privacy levels in the Internet Explorer, Tools, Security section and Privacy section.
    HP dv5t ~Vista 64 bit ~ T9400 2.53 GHz ~ 15.4 WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT ~ 320GB 5400RPM ~ Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card w/Bluetooth ~ Blu-Ray ROM DVD+/-R/RW ~ Integ. HDTV Hybrid Tuner ~ 12 Cell Battery ~ MS Office 2007 ~ 3-yr Accidental Damage Protection

Notebook Evangelist

Best solution is to use Firefox or Opera.
    Desktop: Xeon 3210 @ 3.2 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-1066, Geforce GTX 260 216 SCC, Mixed RAID 0 and RAID 5 storage, Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound, Vista x64
    Laptop: M1710, 2.26 Ghz, 7900 GTX 512 MB, 2 GBs RAM, XP SP3
    Netbook: Toshiba T115D - 11.6", 4GB DDR2-800, X2 @ 1.5 Ghz (stock), HD 3200, Win 7 x64 (stock)
    Song: John o'Callaghan ft Jaren Surreal

Notebook Geek

I know exactly what you're talking about, Ericyp. Using IE I've occasionally gotten those too (though only from sketchy websites, I might add, if you are getting them often and on reputable sites, you probably have malware on your system).

Personally I use Firefox and AddBlock Pluss to avoid such problems; and as somebody who stuck with IE for a long time and just recently made the switch, I'd highly recommend getting a better browser. Still, if you don't want to mess with your software you can sometimes free I.E. from such hijacks by closing the affected tab, or by using the 'back' dropdown menu to go back several steps instead of just one.

Hope this helps.

Notebook Evangelist
    Los Angeles, California + Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I think IE8 is super, and worth putting up with a few flaws. Yes, there are some flaws, as in ALL of the browsers. But for me, it's stable, has fabulous features, and has never given me a major problem. Sometimes you just have to spend some time and use a little ingenuity to solve the current problem, but they're usually solvable, like the poster's pop-up problem. Eventually he'll find the answer --- perhaps some of the suggestions I made above will either work, or help to lead him to the answer.
    HP dv5t ~Vista 64 bit ~ T9400 2.53 GHz ~ 15.4 WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT ~ 320GB 5400RPM ~ Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card w/Bluetooth ~ Blu-Ray ROM DVD+/-R/RW ~ Integ. HDTV Hybrid Tuner ~ 12 Cell Battery ~ MS Office 2007 ~ 3-yr Accidental Damage Protection

Notebook Geek

I'm curious. I never upgraded to IE8, but as I said, I was a loyal IE user until just recently. What exactly are the great features of IE8 that make it worthwhile?

(And worth sticking to over Firefox, which right out of the box has a superior download manager, much better resistance to browser hijacks like the ones we're talking about without turning anything off, and built in spell checking. This is not even to mention the availability of powerful, free add-ons like Zotero, GreasMonkey, DownloadHelper, and AddBlocker Pluss.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast