Quantcast Installing Chipset, Video Card, Audio, Network Drivers after Reformat?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Installing Chipset, Video Card, Audio, Network Drivers after Reformat?

i know this is standard procedure for reformatting as long as I've done so, but i remember hearing windows 7 automates much of this.

What will windows 7 handle on it's own and what will i need to do/install after completing the windows installation?
    Sager NP8660
    15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Glossy LCD
    nVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT 512MB (610/945/1525)
    Intel® Core™2 Duo P8300 2.4GHz Processor w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB
    4GB DDR3/1066 Memory
    320GB SATA II 3GB/s 5,400 RPM Hard Drive (8MB Cache Buffer)

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Installing Chipset, Video Card, Audio, Network Drivers after Reformat?

Quote Originally Posted by vestibule1443 View Post
    i know this is standard procedure for reformatting as long as I've done so, but i remember hearing windows 7 automates much of this.

What will windows 7 handle on it's own and what will i need to do/install after completing the windows installation?
    There is no answer to your question as it all depends on your hardware for which Windows 7 may or may not have drivers.

What I do is simply check device manager and if there is anything that is missing drivers I install them manually.
    Envy 14-1050EA
    Z1311C5E Premium Black i7-3612QM * 8GB 256GB SSD

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Installing Chipset, Video Card, Audio, Network Drivers after Reformat?

ok so i dont believe it installed chipset drivers. i can install the ones from a disk designed for vista, but would this driver designed for windows 7 here be better? It says INF update utility, would that be chipset driver in english?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...d=816&lang=eng

if i install older drivers for the chipset, sound card, etc. will it then at least recognize the device and allow me to update it through the device manager?
    Sager NP8660
    15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Glossy LCD
    nVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT 512MB (610/945/1525)
    Intel® Core™2 Duo P8300 2.4GHz Processor w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB
    4GB DDR3/1066 Memory
    320GB SATA II 3GB/s 5,400 RPM Hard Drive (8MB Cache Buffer)

Titles Shmm-itles

Quote Originally Posted by vestibule1443 View Post
    ok so i dont believe it installed chipset drivers. i can install the ones from a disk designed for vista, but would this driver designed for windows 7 here be better? It says INF update utility, would that be chipset driver in english?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...d=816&lang=eng

if i install older drivers for the chipset, sound card, etc. will it then at least recognize the device and allow me to update it through the device manager?
    This is what happened with my audio driver. After installing it, Windows Update installed an updated one.
    Dell Inspiron 1420 HP tz2500 Tablet PC Lenovo X200T Dell XT2 x 2
    Too close for missiles/ Switching to guns
    Jack Daniels/ Jim Beam/ Johnnie Walker/ Jose Cuervo

Notebook Geek

for me chipset was installed by windows as well as the wifi driver. i only had to install the card reader and audio. thats all.

i think windows now come with preloaded microsft drivers that should for the most part, make it more user friendly

Notebook Virtuoso

the only things that windows (xp, vista, 7) can do on it's own are the things it knows about. If your drivers are in the windows driver library (on the dvd) the drivers will get installed.

However.......

Since the RTM was frozen many weeks ago and most manufacturers have only released their 'for real' Win7 drivers in the past days or so, you can bet the on-disk driver library is already obsolete.

The upside is that a lot of nbewer drivers will show up on MU. You should also go to the hardware makers web sites and grab the latest/greatest as well.