Quantcast Where did my taskbar icons go?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    super modfu

Default Where did my taskbar icons go?

over the last couple days, i've been playing around with Windowblinds, DesktopX, and some config settings in Tune Up Utilities.

i've since removed Windowblinds, DesktopX and set everything back to default in TUU. however, i've noticed that my Proset icon is gone from the taskbar and i can't get it back. the above are the only software changes i've made in the last couple days.

what i've tried so far:

1. checked taskbar properties to make sure the icon isn't set to "always hide"
    2. checked the Proset application settings to make sure it's set to show in taskbar.
    3. checked and unchecked #1 and #2 above hoping to "toggle" the icon back into the taskbar.
    4. launched Proset hoping it would trigger the icon into the taskbar
    5. installed the latest 2200 BG drivers from Dell's site

none of the above have worked. am i missing something?

EDIT: it seems the Proset icon is the only one affected. other taskbar icons (samurize, atitools, trillian, NIC-disconnected, antivirus) are just fine and show/hide when they're supposed to.

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Where did my Proset taskbar icon go?

Do you have Proset starting when you are booting up? or do you manually start it?

With mine, if i switch between XP and Proset, i have to have Proset checked in MSCONFIG in order for it to show up. Then you get the pleasure of rebooting again.

super modfu

yeah, proset is starting when i connect because i get an internet connection. but i have to launch proset from start/programs/intel... to the to the application. i looked in msconfig, but didn't see a "proset" item to check/uncheck. is that how it's worded cuz i have another intel device starting up, but it doesn't say "proset"

super modfu

ok, something is obviously jacked up with my taskbar and this problem is not apparently tied to proset. now my a/v monitoring icon is gone. as well, there is no < or > to click on to show/hide the hidden icons.

what's up with that ?

Tech Elitist

Default Re: Where did my taskbar icons go?

This happened to me on my desktop a while back. I believe it was tied to MS Antispy, but I could be wrong there. Basically, when I would start up everything would load in the background, but it was a guessing game to see which icons would show up in the taskbar.

I look forward to seeing if you can solve this problem. Although, on my laptop nothing like this has happened...yet.
    Ignore those who tell you to hurry up and buy. They're the ones who will be borrowing your machine when theirs is being repaired.

MS-1022 Review

super modfu

Quote Originally Posted by ttupa
    This happened to me on my desktop a while back. I believe it was tied to MS Antispy, but I could be wrong there. Basically, when I would start up everything would load in the background, but it was a guessing game to see which icons would show up in the taskbar.

I look forward to seeing if you can solve this problem. Although, on my laptop nothing like this has happened...yet.
    blech. looks like a reformat is in the works. i was thinking about doing one, maybe this is just a sign saying it's time.

Tech Elitist

I bet it's a registry problem. Have you tried a registry cleaner? I use CCleaner, don't know if that would work, but it's worth a try.

Good luck...hopefully a reformat doesn't have to happen.
    Ignore those who tell you to hurry up and buy. They're the ones who will be borrowing your machine when theirs is being repaired.

MS-1022 Review

Notebook Consultant

Did you make sure that your program is still loading at startup? Check msconfig startup and make sure "promon.exe" and/or "ZCfgSvc.exe" is enabled.
    Dell B120 -Painted CandyAppleRed, P-M 715 1.5Ghz@2GHz & undervolted, Arctic Silver Ceramique, Lapped Heatsink, 14.1” WXGA, 1x512MB DDR Memory, 40GB HDD, Dell 1370 wireless
    Aspire X-QPack -Asus P4P800-VM -Celeron M 1.4Ghz@2.38Ghz,ASC, Lapped, 2x1Gig DDR3200 ST Mem, 300Gig DiamondMax, Viewsonic VX2025WM 20" Monitor, need to buy a vid card still

super modfu

i did a reg clean - no change

i checked for 'zcfgsvc.exe' and 'promon.exe' - zcf... is there and running, but there is no 'promon' item. while checking, i noticed an entry that didn't have a name. looked fishy so i unchecked it. rebooted and the entry is now gone, and all my icons are back in the systray. except i'm still having the problem with the Proset systray icon.

hmmm.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by drumfu
    i did a reg clean - no change

i checked for 'zcfgsvc.exe' and 'promon.exe' - zcf... is there and running, but there is no 'promon' item. while checking, i noticed an entry that didn't have a name. looked fishy so i unchecked it. rebooted and the entry is now gone, and all my icons are back in the systray. except i'm still having the problem with the Proset systray icon.

hmmm.
    Well, looks like that's your problem. You'll need to re-install it now in order to have access to your Proset sytray icon (promon.exe.)

sysinfo.org/proset
    Dell B120 -Painted CandyAppleRed, P-M 715 1.5Ghz@2GHz & undervolted, Arctic Silver Ceramique, Lapped Heatsink, 14.1” WXGA, 1x512MB DDR Memory, 40GB HDD, Dell 1370 wireless
    Aspire X-QPack -Asus P4P800-VM -Celeron M 1.4Ghz@2.38Ghz,ASC, Lapped, 2x1Gig DDR3200 ST Mem, 300Gig DiamondMax, Viewsonic VX2025WM 20" Monitor, need to buy a vid card still

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast