Quantcast vista-sp2-chkdsk..."deleting index entry...." doesn't

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am the walrus

Default vista-sp2-chkdsk..."deleting index entry...." doesn't

OK folks, this one is a head scratcher.

Got a laptop sitting in front of me with Vista sp2 64-bit.

Several weeks ago the disk developed some file system corruption according to the owner. Chkdsk ran at startup as expected and "appeared" to clear up the problems.

Windows starts and appears to run properly--except one error occurs sporadically--the Cryptographic service some times failes to load.

However. Running a chkdsk now results in about 10 entries

Deleting index entry xxxxxxx in index $I30 of file ?????

xxxxxxxxx and ????? are always the same files.

Followed by 10 entries that say

RECOVERING FILES..... xxxxxxxxx

some of the files mentioned (wmplayer.exe) are not critical files, but a couple having to deal with the cryptographic service are (though the cryptographic service does start MOST of the time. Every one out of 10 boots, it does not. The files appear to be present, though.

Weird, huh?

Now, I know what "Deleting index entry xxxxxxx in index $I30 of file ?????" means--the master file table entry for that file location is incorrect, but I cannot seem to clear these errors.

Now, I know I can wipe the drive and start over...that will delete the MFT and we should be OK...but I haven't run into this before and I wonder if there is another way.

Ran chkdsk with ever conceivable /switch without success.

There are NO bad sectors on the drive; nor according to SMART are any sectors being reallocated.

Left my spinrite disk at home, but that is next up.

I have one more idea--I think that changing the partition size will cause the MFT to resize--or maybe just defragging the MFT with an industrial strength defragger will work.

Other than that, I am out of ideas at the moment. I've got a two hour drive home tonight so I will have plenty of time to think about some other ideas, but I figured I'd give you guys a head start.

I googled to no end, but those few cases where I have seen this issue, people just gave up and reinstalled.

So, two hours before I can check back....starting now....
    A desperate man for desperate times

1 hr late but moving fast

Default Re: vista-sp2-chkdsk..."deleting index entry...." doesn't

You could always try to repair the MBR from the recovery console, then do a massive defrag. I like your idea of resizing a partition - that might shake things up enough to "fix" the problem. I hope something like that helps, because I read all of those various threads, too, and it's too bad that a reformat ends up being the fix.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.
    New to forums? You really should view this video!

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center

I am the walrus

ouch, was hoping for more ideas

Yes, I think a massive defrag that also defrags/move the mft might shake things up...will try Mydefrag on slow optimize first before other options.

Not sure I follow your thinking on the MBR, though.

The MBR is a partition record that occurs outside the realm of the file system, as does the partition boot record. The MFT is part of the file system.

They really shouldn't have anything to do with each other unless I am just missing what you are saying.

But, thank you for the defrag...the MFT is only in one fragment, but Mydefrag will move it to the front of the drive and moving it may yield the results I am after.

I am the walrus

another tidbit for anyone who cares...

testdisk confirms that the MFT mirror is corrupt and unwriteable....which is darned odd.

will try a repair that by dropping the drive in another machine tomorrow and attempting a repair then.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

are you sure the drive is still fine? i had it once that a drive was faulty, but only a tiny bit, and it created all sorts of similar errors like you report.

maybe cloning to another drive will
    a) fix the problem
    b) reveal the problem (means, cloning will fail.. which is not fun, but shows exactly where on disk the problem is, as you see how far it can clone).

for me, it was b)..
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

I am the walrus

yes, a clone is on for the morning before I do anything scary like a partition resize with an unstable MFT mirror.

In fact, I wish I would have cloned it first--though a clone, assuming the drive is physically OK, would actually just clone the problem MFT and disk corruption.

I say wish because here is another interesting bit of info from the event logs.

While I have been running MyDefrag in industrial mode (which moves the mft as well as other hidden files), I've received numerous

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume ...."

warnings.

OK, that is not completely unexpected given the nature of the issue. But here is the interesting parts. After a series of these--while MyDefrag is still running, I also get

The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired.
    26084: Deleting an index entry from index 0x300000002513d of file 0x4000000024f4d.
    27094: An index entry of index 0x300000002513d points to unused file 0x4000000024f4d.
    25009: End repair on 08/05/2009 at 01:56:24:913

Now, after reading through the Windows Internals chapter on File Systems until my eyes were bleeding, this makes a little bit of sense...ntfs is after all a semi self-healing file system.

That's why you normally don't have to run chkdsk at all, or nfts will mark the volume as dirty and chkdsk will run at boot automatically in the worst case scenarios.

Normally, the file system and will self repair without chkdsk--I just never really saw it occuring in real time before. Make me kind of afraid to reboot this thing....

NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

I feel like I am reading any Agatha Christie novel here. This is a real mystery. I have no suggestions beyond what you already have planned. Keep us posted.

Gary

I am the walrus

s'funny--to me it is a Stephen King horror story

Resized the partition to no effect.....hmmm, what else do I have. An offline testdisk session and an attempt to rebuild the MFT mirror I think is next

I am the walrus

ohmigod...I think I solved it.....got to test this.....(I'm not trying to be a tease, I just had to tell someone I'm so geeked....will post back in a while...have to reinsert the drive in the laptop and see if it works and the laptop isn't with me right now....)

NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Ok, you tease. You have us waiting with, as Robin Williams so eloquently put it, "a worm on our tounge"... baited breath.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast