Quantcast Is there any way to redirect my Program Files folder to an external drive?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Is there any way to redirect my Program Files folder to an external drive?

I tried using Link Magic, but the source folder needs to be empty, and I am unable to delete my Programs Files folder to create a new one. Basically, I want the default programs folder on my OS partition (C:) to link to another Program Files folder on my data partition (D:). Is there any other way to do this (either a way to delete my Program Files folder so I can make a new one or use an alternate program), or do I have to manually redirect all of my programs to install to an external drive?
    Sager NP9262 | Q6600@2.4GHz | 8800M GTX 512MB | 4GB DDR2 800MHz | 17" WUXGA LCD | Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus Eee PC 1201N | Intel Atom 330 1.6GHz | nVidia ION | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 Pro x86

Lazy as the Day is Long

Default Re: Is there any way to redirect my Program Files folder to an external drive?

Try reading up on junction points from the MS TechNet website, or the MSDN website, to see if that's feasible.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Is there any way to redirect my Program Files folder to an external drive?

I was trying to use the junction points, but it tells me that my source folder must be empty in order to create one. This wouldn't be a problem if I could just delete/rename my Program Files folder, but I can't do that. So even if I do create a junction it isn't the default directory as I wanted (unless there is some way to change your default Program Files directory).

So I need to either a) delete/rename Program Files safely then create a junction from an empty Program Files folder, or b) find some work around like changing my default programs directory.
    Sager NP9262 | Q6600@2.4GHz | 8800M GTX 512MB | 4GB DDR2 800MHz | 17" WUXGA LCD | Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus Eee PC 1201N | Intel Atom 330 1.6GHz | nVidia ION | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 Pro x86

Lazy as the Day is Long

When you plug this USB drive in, does the computer see it as just another hard drive, or does it see it as removable media?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster1 View Post
    When you plug this USB drive in, does the computer see it as just another hard drive, or does it see it as removable media?
    I'm trying to junction to a Program Files folder in a separate partition of the same HDD. My only problem is that I cannot delete or rename my original Program Files folder so I can create an empty one to junction.