Quantcast Changing text size

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Changing text size

Hi. I know how to fiddle with the text size quickly on my desktop (holding control and making adjustments with the mouse wheel). How might one do that (on IE/Firefox, for example) on a laptop?

I ask because the one I'm ordering has SXGA resolution, and I find the default text on my monitor, which is is also SXGA, too small - way too small.

Thanks,
    Howie
    Last edited by JiantBrane; 9th December 2005 at 02:41 AM.

Notebook Guru

Default Re: Changing text size

If your laptop has a scrollbar/scroller, then use the scrollbar/scroller in place of the mouse wheel to perform the same function. Otherwise, using the keyboard will depend on the program that you use. The keyboard shortcuts should work irregardless of desktop/laptop as long as you are referring to the same program. For example, in Firefox...

Increase Text Size: Ctrl + , (hold down the Ctrl key and press the comma "," key until you find the size you want)
    Decrease Text Size: Ctrl + . (hold down the Ctrl key and press the period "." key until you find the size you want)

super modfu

Quote Originally Posted by
    Hi. I know how to fiddle with the text size quickly on my desktop (holding control and making adjustments with the mouse wheel). How might one do that (on IE/Firefox, for example) on a laptop?

I ask because the one I'm ordering has SXGA resolution, and I find the default text on my monitor, which is is also SXGA, too small - way too small.

Thanks,
    Howie
    why not order the notebook with xga instead? you'll save money and it sounds like you don't like sxga.

Notebook Deity

The way to make it more general is change the DPI in "Desktop properties -> Settings -> Advanced" and to change the various menu/icon size/spacings in "Desktop properties -> Appearance -> Advanced".

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by drumfu
    why not order the notebook with xga instead? you'll save money and it sounds like you don't like sxga.
    Perfectly good question. This particular configuration also comes with more RAM, a larger hard drive, a better processor, and a better video card. My only problem with SXGA and WSXGA is use for word processing and other reading tasks (I'm enamored with wikipedia). I also like having the option of the higher resolution for when I do use it for movies or games.

I am not able to get the "ctrl+," or "ctrl+." to work. Tried it on Firefox, IE, and MS Word. Any thoughts?

Finally, this one might sound stupid: I assume laptop screens are no different from desktop monitors in that, when used in anything other than their native resolution, they end up with poor results?

Thanks again,
    Howie
    Last edited by JiantBrane; 9th December 2005 at 04:27 AM.

Notebook Guru

I am not able to get the "ctrl+," or "ctrl+." to work. Tried it on Firefox, IE, and MS Word. Any thoughts?

Finally, this one might sound stupid: I assume laptop screens are no different from desktop monitors in that, when used in anything other than their native resolution, they end up with poor results?
    Ctrl + , and Ctrl + . only works in Firefox. Please note that you don't press the "+" key... only press the Ctrl and "," key. Also, to see this work, make sure you have a webpage open at the same time.

Yes, desktop and laptop LCD's operate on the same principle. View them at their native resolutions.
    Last edited by portaturtle; 9th December 2005 at 04:44 AM.

Notebook Guru

Please note that you can also change font size via menu options.

Firefox:
    View > Text Size > Increase/Decrease/Normal

IE:
    View > Text Size > Largest/Larger/Medium/Smaller/Smallest

Word:
    View > Zoom

Notebook Geek

To permanently change the settings in Firefox, click Tools, Options, Content, Advanced, then change the Minimum Font Size setting.

For other programs, go to Options or Tools, or click on the Help button and search for Font or Text.

r,
    eagle07

Notebook Evangelist

I'm still unable to use any keys in changing font sizes, but I had never played around with those options before. So ... much ... power ...

Thanks for the help,
    Howie

Notebook Deity

It's not Ctrl + '.' and Ctrl + ',' in Firefox. It's Ctrl + '+' and Ctrl + '-'. Ctrl+0 resets the font size to the default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast