Quantcast Disabling Dell touchpad when mouse is connected

Closed Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Disabling Dell touchpad when mouse is connected

Is there software/driver/settings that i can use to disable the touchpad while i have a mouse plugged in?
    Vostro 1500/T7300 2.0 GHz Processor/WXGA+ Truelife Screen/2GB Corsair RAM/120 GB 5400rpm Hard Drive/128 MB 8400 GS/Vista Ultimate x64/2.0 MP Integrated Camera

XPS 1530/T8300 2.4 GHz Processor/WXGA+ LED Screen/4GB Corsair RAM/160 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive/256 MB 8600 GT/Vista Ultimate x64

Notebook Prophet

Default Re: Disabling Dell touchpad when mouse is connected

There is such a setting in Mouse Properties > Device Settings.

Checkout this post.

Bog
    Losing it...

Start > Control Panel > Mouse > Dell Touchpad Tab

Take a look at the settings there, my Studio 15 has a setting for disabling the touchpad while an external mouse is plugged in.
    "Earth" Desktop | Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 | C2D E6750 @ 3.0GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB + 1TB HD | Radeon 6850 | Corsair TX650 | Windows 7 64-bit

"Mercury" uMBP | 13" LED | C2D P8400 @ 2.4GHz | 6GB RAM | 500GB HD | Mac OS X 10.7

I have a Studio 1535 and it's an Alps driver. It's updated as much as possible and I don't see this option at all, anyone know how? I read elsewhere that it's possible with Alps (excuse the link-> http://www.notebookforums.com/thread202618.html ) however didn't feel like posting there, saw better posts in general here when looking to find an answer.

In short, I can't find a way to do it, and it's frequently annoying, my setup doesn't even show me to just disable it (like JUST disable it, without going through the pleasure that is the device manager) @_@ So I'm pretty spent here, and I figure someone should know a way to do this, it's too much of a problem to not have a fix :[ (While typing this, 4 times my text was moved to the pointer xD)

Then again this could be an evil plot by the ergonomics departments o-o;

Notebook Consultant

I went into the Dell Touchpad settings on my laptop and clicked the box to disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected.

The real magic happens when I remove the mouse...the touchpad doesn't turn back on. I just dealt with it...
    Dell Inspiron 1420 Midnight Blue
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
    4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 (aftermarket)
    160GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD w/ Free Fall Sensor
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 8400M GS (128MB Dedicated)

I don't have the button quoted in the image above, or the button to simply 'turn it off' in the first place. The problem is that if I'm in school I obviously won't pull out a mouse, have a laptop on the table, and a book on the table, so I use the touchpad, but when at home and gaming, it helps to use the mouse a lot, but the touchpad messes up quite a bit. At the moment I'm even forced to use my game controller for gaming cause it gets me killed a lot. :S

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofyr View Post
    I don't have the button quoted in the image above, or the button to simply 'turn it off' in the first place. The problem is that if I'm in school I obviously won't pull out a mouse, have a laptop on the table, and a book on the table, so I use the touchpad, but when at home and gaming, it helps to use the mouse a lot, but the touchpad messes up quite a bit. At the moment I'm even forced to use my game controller for gaming cause it gets me killed a lot. :S
    I didn't have that button either at first. So i went to the synaptics website and downloaded their 64 bit driver and there was an option to have the touchpad disabled when an external mouse is connected.
    Vostro 1500/T7300 2.0 GHz Processor/WXGA+ Truelife Screen/2GB Corsair RAM/120 GB 5400rpm Hard Drive/128 MB 8400 GS/Vista Ultimate x64/2.0 MP Integrated Camera

XPS 1530/T8300 2.4 GHz Processor/WXGA+ LED Screen/4GB Corsair RAM/160 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive/256 MB 8600 GT/Vista Ultimate x64