Quantcast How to disable UAC for select programs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default How to disable UAC for select programs

I know how much people love to hate the UAC in Vista. I thought this might be helpful.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Disab...n-applications
    XPS m1530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7250
    3GB
    256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT
    Windows Vista Home Premium

Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Default Re: How to disable UAC for select programs

check out this thread for all yur vista tweaks and customizations.
    Beast!!!: Sager NP8850 - 17.3" LED 1080p Screen - Intel i7-840QM - GeForce GTX 480M - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM - 6x Blu Ray Drive - 500GB 7200 HDD - Intel Ultimate-N 6300 - A/B/G/N - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - IC Diamond Thermal Compound
    NZXT Cryo LX (brushed aluminum & black)

NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by houstoned View Post
    check out this thread for all yur vista tweaks and customizations.
    What does that have to do with disabling UAC for a single process? I am a contributor to the thread you mentioned, but don't see the relevance to this thread.

Gary

NBR Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Joyscant1980 View Post
    I know how much people love to hate the UAC in Vista. I thought this might be helpful.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Disab...n-applications
    Wow, that's a lot of work to disable UAC for just one program. Fortunately, I almost never get a UAC prompt unless I'm installing something or changing some settings in the control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaConchiglia View Post
    What does that have to do with disabling UAC for a single process? I am a contributor to the thread you mentioned, but don't see the relevance to this thread.

Gary
    I believe houstoned intention was either

1. Indicate that this particular fix/tweak was already in that thread (which it is NOT)
    -or-
    2. Indicate that this should be posted in that thread (which I don't think it should be for multiple reasons)

*NEW*Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook: i5|FHD|256GB SSD|Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by |crash| View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of work to disable UAC for just one program. Fortunately, I almost never get a UAC prompt unless I'm installing something or changing some settings in the control panel.
    Yep, it is a bit of a pain in the rear. But I did do it for one program many months ago. But don't remember which one. It might have been SpeedFan, which I run as part of my startup group so I have temps in the notification area (aka system tray). It always prompted for permissions, so I used the mentioned "trick".

Gary

NBR Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaConchiglia View Post
    Yep, it is a bit of a pain in the rear. But I did do it for one program many months ago. But don't remember which one. It might have been SpeedFan, which I run as part of my startup group so I have temps in the notification area (aka system tray). It always prompted for permissions, so I used the mentioned "trick".

Gary
    Can't you use task scheduler to allow the program to start up with elevated permissions without prompting?
    Last edited by crash; 21st August 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

beep beep

Yes... the task scheduler method is described here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=436&page=4

NBR Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
    Yes... the task scheduler method is described here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=436&page=4
    Regarding that method... Can you use task scheduler to make the task automatically run on startup, or do you have to manually run it (even if from a simple shortcut) each time?
    Last edited by crash; 21st August 2008 at 09:04 PM.

beep beep

There's an option you can select in Task Scheduler if you want it to run automatically at startup (or at login).

NBR Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by swarmer View Post
    There's an option you can select in Task Scheduler if you want it to run automatically at startup (or at login).
    Ok that's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up (I'm on XP at work right now with no access to Vista, so I couldn't check myself).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast