Quantcast How you change what happens to deleted files which are on usb drives?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Evangelist

Default How you change what happens to deleted files which are on usb drives?

When I delete files on usb flash drives, they skip the recycle bin and get deleted automatically.
    Is there anyway to change it so that the files get put in the recycling bin first?

Thanks,
    Freelancer
    Asus G51JX-X5
    15.6'' LED 1920x1080 Display; Intel Core i7 Quad 720QM, 1.6-2.8 GHz
    6GB, DDR3 1066MHz; 1 GB Nvidia GTS 360M; 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Dell M1330
    13.3" WLED Display; Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, 2.0GHz
    2GB, DDR2 667MHz; 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS; 160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Super Moderator

Default Re: How you change what happens to deleted files which are on usb drives?

I'm not sure how but that would require the files to be transfered over onto your OS HDD and then be deleted.

disassemble?

Default Re: How you change what happens to deleted files which are on usb drives?

It might be more practical to simply create a folder on the flash drive called 'Recycle Bin'. You could change the shortcut picture to something more appropriate.

Then if you wanted you could also make a shortcut to that folder on your desktop. Of course the link will only work when the drive is in your USB drive.

You could even put a 'Send To USB Recycle Bin' shortcut in the right-click context menu (sending it to that folder).

Moderately Boss

When you delete something off a USB by accident they are just wiped off the record table. Use www.recuva.com to try restore it.

As for your question, im not sure if you can do that. Try enabling sharing for the USB drive, that might fool it as an internal drive
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

beep beep

Right-click the Recycle Bin, select Properties... see if your USB drive shows up in the list and if you can select to send deleted files to the Recycle Bin.

I use the Recycle Bin on my USB drive. It's a hard drive rather than flash, but... I don't see how that should matter. However, I can imagine that if it's a small drive, it may turn this off by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkit3kt View Post
    I'm not sure how but that would require the files to be transfered over onto your OS HDD and then be deleted.
    I think it actually keeps a separate recycle bin on each drive, even though it might display all of them lumped together when you double-click the recycle bin icon on the desktop.
    Last edited by swarmer; 20th July 2008 at 01:45 AM.