Quantcast Guide: vLite for Vista

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Guide: vLite for Vista

Intro
    vLite is a freeware application used to create customized installation CDs of Microsoft's Windows Vista.

vLite automates the customization process. First it copies the contents of the install disc to a folder on the user's computer. Then they let the user remove Windows components, tweak its options, install Windows Service Packs, patch faults, and add drivers. The user can preset the service settings in Windows or remove services entirely. One of the main uses is to remove programs and components, many of which cannot normally be removed in Windows, such as Internet Explorer, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Media Player.

After applying the changes, an image file can be created or the Windows installation can be burned onto a CD.

Screenshots

Benefits of a 'vlited' install.
    The popularity of vLite is the result of the computer users' wish to have a clean, light operating system that does not contain bloatware or unnecessary files.

vLite lets users reduce Windows' resource consumption while retaining features that they desire. With a smaller operating system footprint, more computer resources remain available for Windows programs, as well as allowing backups to complete faster.

Another important use of nLite is for slipstreaming drivers or service packs onto a Windows CD. Specifically for RAID or SATA drivers, which are needed during installation of Windows Vista, as compared to other drivers, which can be installed after installation.

The Guide
    1)
    Download and install vlite v1.1.6 Final from:
    http://www.vlite.net/download.html

2)
    Run vlite - if any dependencies are required, install them:

3)
    Make sure your vista dvd is on your optical drive, and then browse to it, and select OK:

4)
    Select a folder on your hard drive where you'd like the vlited install to be created, and wait for the disk's contents to be copied:

5)
    Select your version of vista (basic/premium/business/ultimate).

6)
    Click on tasks, in the left-hand panel in vlite, then click on all, and then click next.

If you do not have SP1 already installed, download it from:http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...displaylang=en , then browse to it to select it to be slipstreamed into the install

7)
    In this next window, you may integrate Hotfixes, Drivers, and Language Packs. In my scenario, I only wanted to integrate my wifi, graphics and sound drivers.

8)
    Click on next and you'll be greeted with a compatibility screen. Choose your specified configuration and continue. For stability I always tick every feature. Then click on the application tab, and if you are planning to use any of the programs shown, tick them.

9)
    In the components section, remove what you wish. Note the details of each component is displayed on the right. Be sure to read the description of every component before deciding to remove it. I never remove any of the services, for full stability/compatibility it is recommended you leave them, and tweak their start-up settings after the install.

10)
    In the tweaks section, for best performance, I selected the following options:

11)
    My settings for the unattended section (I have configured autologin aswell):

12)
    Click apply and then click rebuild one:

13)
    Click OK, and your original image will now rebuild:

14)
    Click on 'next', to move on to the 'burning the iso' screen.

15)
    Burn your image to a cd/dvd, and your finished!!! As you can see I have decreased my iso size from, 3.6GB to about 1.5GB.

Users have had varying success in vliting, but the trick is to really know what you're doing. It may take you a few configuration attempts to create your perfrect OS, but in the end it was worth it for me!
    Guide: Slimming Vista |10 Minute Guide to halving XP boot time.
    Guide: vLiting Vista | XP Tips and Tweaks Guide
    CPU upgrade guide

AMD X4 955 @ 3.2Ghz, 8gb DDR3 1333mhz, 128gb Samsung 830 SSD, HD103j 1tb, GTX 460 1gb, Microsoft Sidewinder x4, Razer Deathadder

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Guide: vLite for Vista

bump..bump...bump
    comments guys
    Guide: Slimming Vista |10 Minute Guide to halving XP boot time.
    Guide: vLiting Vista | XP Tips and Tweaks Guide
    CPU upgrade guide

AMD X4 955 @ 3.2Ghz, 8gb DDR3 1333mhz, 128gb Samsung 830 SSD, HD103j 1tb, GTX 460 1gb, Microsoft Sidewinder x4, Razer Deathadder

NBR Assassin

Nice guide! It almost makes me consider creating a vlite installation disk.

*NEW*Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook: i5|FHD|256GB SSD|Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

Notebook Consultant

You should warn people that integrating SP1 while adding drivers and doing the rest of vLite stuff will corrupt the installation and cause problems with updates!!!

Secondly, you should also warn people about the windows update issues that persist by removing windows programs.

For the rest, good guide! Reading it takes 100 times less time than actually building an image (especially when integrating sp1)

PS: the SP1 integration isn't perfect; the resulting image size is different than the official ISO (complete build all and everything). Vista SP1 isn't made to be integrated (unlike XP service packs!!!)

Notebook Deity

Nice guide. I like it.

Thanks,
    Leon

NBR Assassin

Quick question, does vlite allow you to save the .iso or is your only option to burn it to a DVD?

EDIT: nvm I just noticed at the beginning of your guide you have the answer to my question.
    Last edited by crash; 31st July 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Desktop: Antec 300|GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked|i7 920|6 GB DDR3|WD 750 GB + 640 GB|Corsair 650W|Windows 7 64-bit

Steam Games Deals Thread | Updating Mobile Graphics Cards Drivers | Forum Rules | Gaming Forum Information Booth

Notebook Enthusiast

what should I do? I dont have an install vista disc but a pqservice partition?

Notebook Prophet

Thank for the guide. I think I will create a custom install disc for my new notebook.
    Looking for a new laptop? Try the Dell Outlet Coupon Thread!

NBR Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by atbnet View Post
    Thank for the guide. I think I will create a custom install disc for my new notebook.
    Be wary that if you use vlite to remove components and don't integrate SP1, then SP1 will not install because it refuses to unless all the components it wants to update are there.

See this, this, and this.

Notebook Prophet

I plan on integrating SP1 to save myself some time. Good information for those who may have problems arise in the future.
    Looking for a new laptop? Try the Dell Outlet Coupon Thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast