Quantcast How to monitor RAM usage with XP?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Acolyte

Default How to monitor RAM usage with XP?

Sorry to post this question, which I'm sure is fairly easy to answer, but I'm on dial-up ATM (in other words I don't want to take the time to do the research) and I have a friend who wants to know where their RAM is going. They are running Windows XP with 512MB RAM.

I tried Performance Monitor and looking at processes in the Task Manager, but this doesn't really help to determine what programs/processes/services are hogging RAM and are unnecessary.
    This is because looking at processes with cryptic names and then searching for those same files is a long and painful process. Vista actually allows you to open the associated file, and find out what program it belongs to...

To cut a long story short, I'm asking is there a separate application I can download, or is there an integrated feature of XP I'm missing that will give a more comprehensive analysis of the RAM usage?

Thanks for your replies!

=^)

BTW: I'm sure part of the problem is the amount of stuff running in the background and filling up their system tray.
    Never have anything more than anti-virus, firewall, network cards or volume running next to the clock.
    Last edited by pixelot; 29th December 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Notebooks:
    Vostro 3555 | AMD E2-3000M 1.8Ghz | 4GB RAM | Radeon HD 6380 | 320GB HD | Win 7 | Xubuntu 12.04
    Vostro 1400 | T5470 C2D 1.6Ghz | 2GB RAM | 128MB nVidia GeForce 8400M | 320GB HD | Win XP Pro | Xubuntu 12.04
    Desktop:
    Gigabyte Mobo | PC Power & Cooling 610W | Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz | Radeon HD 4850 512MB | Crucial 4GB | WD Blue 320GB 7200rpm | Acer 23" 1080p | Win 7 Pro
    Tumblr

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How to monitor RAM usage with XP?

umm go to control+alt+del, which is the task manager, look at processes, on the last column it will say mem usage.

Inspiron 1420 Owner

From when I used XP, I never figured out what the weird number on the bottom right of the task manager stood for (something like #/1434k when I had 512 MB of ram). Anyone know what it was for?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothTofu View Post
    From when I used XP, I never figured out what the weird number on the bottom right of the task manager stood for (something like #/1434k when I had 512 MB of ram). Anyone know what it was for?
    The #/# stood for commit charge.

Banned

I don't know any other way. When you say searching is tedious is that because of Dail up? If so just do a search for the file on your computer and by location you can gather what it is?
    Last edited by powerpack; 29th December 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Inspiron 1420 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The #/# stood for commit charge.
    Sorry, but what's commit charge? I never really understood it.

Notebook Acolyte

@acorn

I tried Performance Monitor and looking at processes in the Task Manager, but this doesn't really help to determine what programs/processes/services are hogging RAM and are unnecessary.
    If I wasn't clear with that, what I meant was that looking at these processes doesn't help determine which ones are safe to end, and also I don't know what programs they are associated with.

But thanks for the quick reply.

@powerpack

This is because looking at processes with cryptic names and then searching for those same files is a long and painful process. Vista actually allows you to open the associated file, and find out what program it belongs to...
    Last edited by pixelot; 29th December 2007 at 04:33 PM.
    Notebooks:
    Vostro 3555 | AMD E2-3000M 1.8Ghz | 4GB RAM | Radeon HD 6380 | 320GB HD | Win 7 | Xubuntu 12.04
    Vostro 1400 | T5470 C2D 1.6Ghz | 2GB RAM | 128MB nVidia GeForce 8400M | 320GB HD | Win XP Pro | Xubuntu 12.04
    Desktop:
    Gigabyte Mobo | PC Power & Cooling 610W | Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz | Radeon HD 4850 512MB | Crucial 4GB | WD Blue 320GB 7200rpm | Acer 23" 1080p | Win 7 Pro
    Tumblr

Notebook Deity

I know it's a PITA with dial-up, but you can usually Google the ones you don't immediately recognize. You could also just end them and if Windows crashes, you'll know you shouldn't have...When you reboot hit 'F8' and load last known good configuration to be safe after such a crash...
    First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

Everything in Moderation

I use "What's Running", but just saw that PC World recommends "Process Explorer".
    Desktop problems ? Try DesktopReview.

Questions about the forum rules ?

Notebook Deity

With Spybot S&D in advanced mode, tools- the process list will tell you the company and description of processes
    | Dell Vostro 3500 | Windows 7 Pro | Intel i5 | nVidia 310M | 4GB DDR3 | WD 500GB @ 7200 RPM | HP Photosmart Plus | Netgear WGR614v10 |

CIS, MBAM
    Chrome w/Bitdefender Traffic Light
    ATI Home 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast