Quantcast Best way to delete files off computer before selling?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Best way to delete files off computer before selling?

I want to keep my OS and programs on the computer when I sell it, but dont want anyone to recover my deleted programs. Is there a program that cleans the drive so that the files can not be recovered?

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Best way to delete files off computer before selling?

I'm not sure if there is any software like that, you'd say there would be but i don't know. Did/do you save your data on a separate partition or not? If so you can just re-format that partition a few times, that should do it.
    What you could do is just delete all the data and fill up your hdd with unimportant data like movies or something, and delete it again. Once your data has been overwritten once it would be very hard if not impossible to recover it again.
    Vaio FZ unscrewed; pic's & how-to

Sony Vaio FZ11S, T7100, 2Gb, 160Gb/5.400rpm, 8400GT and lovin' it

Notebook Deity

i do know there are some pay software that will basically rewrite the used sectors over and over so its nearly impossible to recover. But i dont tihnk vista has anything like that built in. Ubuntu has it built in and would be nice on Vista

Notebook Guru

I think you should keep your HDD when selling your PC.
    It's the safest way.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by heavyrain2408 View Post
    I think you should keep your HDD when selling your PC.
    It's the safest way.
    That is what i always do actually, just replace the hdd for a new one and use the recovery disks to re-install the notebook to it's original configuration. You can get a usb case for the old hdd and use it as an external hdd.
    Vaio FZ unscrewed; pic's & how-to

Sony Vaio FZ11S, T7100, 2Gb, 160Gb/5.400rpm, 8400GT and lovin' it

NBR Reviewer

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke program. This program is so good that the Department of Defense uses it on their computers when they want to permanently wipe an HD. You can even select their exact settings or select something with the level of security you want. Be warned, this process takes some time, about one day. I think CNET ran a video tutorial a little while which will help familiarize yourself with the program. Alternatively, there's an FAQ on Darik's website. Another warning, you will NOT be able to recover any data whatsoever once you execute the program. AGAIN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET ANY DATA OFF OF IT.

You could also just go the fun route and take out your HD, dip it in liquid nitrogen + hammer = good times. Or add flames.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
    I want to keep my OS and programs on the computer when I sell it, but dont want anyone to recover my deleted programs. Is there a program that cleans the drive so that the files can not be recovered?
    There are a few programs that do this. One is called Eraser, and you can find it here: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php or there is a command line tool called sdelete from sysinternals that can wipe free space or securely delete specific programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm3016 View Post
    I'm not sure if there is any software like that, you'd say there would be but i don't know. Did/do you save your data on a separate partition or not? If so you can just re-format that partition a few times, that should do it.
    (...)
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!@! Formatting does NOTHING to erase data on the disk!

Quote Originally Posted by jin07 View Post
    Use Darik's Boot and Nuke program. This program is so good that the Department of Defense uses it on their computers when they want to permanently wipe an HD. You can even select their exact settings or select something with the level of security you want. Be warned, this process takes some time, about one day. I think CNET ran a video tutorial a little while which will help familiarize yourself with the program. Alternatively, there's an FAQ on Darik's website. Another warning, you will NOT be able to recover any data whatsoever once you execute the program. AGAIN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET ANY DATA OFF OF IT.

You could also just go the fun route and take out your HD, dip it in liquid nitrogen + hammer = good times. Or add flames.
    The DoD has published a few standard erasing techniques that have been implemented by many programs. My guess is this program is simply one of those implementations. However, for modern hard drives, this is usually overkill. All you need to do is zero out the disk, or if you want to get really secure use some random data.

You can read about the Gutman method here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method who is the guy who did a lot of work in this area.
    Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) | Clean Vista Install | Screen DPI | RAM Testing w/ Memtest86+ | Where's my disk space? | Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files

Lenovo W510: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 (FHD), Quadro FX880 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm Disk, WiFi UltimateN 6300 AGN, Fingerprint, Webcam, USB3.0, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Notebook Deity

thansk for the posts, im not trying to kill my HD, i actually need the OS install to remain untouched. I just want my personal docs to be earased and not be recoverable

Notebook Evangelist

I believe Windows Washer has an option to create a low level formatboot disk and you can choose the level of format to make it pretty unrecoverable.
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400: 14.1" WXGA+ 1400x900 LED | T9600 2.8Ghz | 4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 2GB Turbo Memory | Intel X-25M G2 80GB SSD | ATI 3470 | DVD-RW | 2MP Cam | Vista HP SP2

Advanced Mini Dock:

Samsung 206BW (20" WS) | Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speaker System | Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard | Logitech MX Laser Mouse

Notebook Consultant

I uses steganos safe 2008, its also has a file "shredder", if you want to delete files and dont want them to be un-eraseable.
    Current: D900F Core i7 975 3.33GHz, 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, GTX280M, HD 160GB SSD, 2&3rd HD: 500GB 7200RPM, Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Win7-64Bit
    Backup Notebook:D901C(NP9262), Q6700 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 17" WUXGA, x2 8800M GTX SLI, x3 160GB Seagate Momentus 3GB/S SATA 300 7200RPM in RAID 5 - Vista ult. 64/XP Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast