Quantcast What laptop brand is the longest lasting and some other questions?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What laptop brand is the longest lasting and some other questions?

Hi,

I could basically say I'm looking for the Toyota Camry of laptops that will last the longest? I know tech. changes but want something that is rugged and will last for at least 5+ years. I'm looking to spend under $800 and want a preety good processor. I'm also planning on getting a cooler for the notebook once I get it to keep it cool from day one.

Also two other questions:

1. Is the sempron processor good or is it really cheap end? Somebody told over time they slow down and are not worth it.

2. If I'm looking to do some downloading, browsing, typing and a game once in a while how much ram should I get?

Thanks!

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: What laptop brand is the longest lasting and some other questions?

A Dell might be what you're looking for, you can get a pretty nice E1505 or E1501 in your price range. They are generally well built, and I've seen plenty of people using Dell Inspirons that are 5-10 years old, so I think that sort of fits the "durability" factor.

When you say you want to play a game once in a while, what do you mean? I would argue that you should go ahead and look for 2GB, especially if you'll be getting a laptop with Windows Vista.

Just to note, "last for 5 years" is a question of what you are using the laptop for. If just web browsing and word processing, you should be fine. But higher end software advances more, and you might find yourself upgrading. Frankly though, 5 years out of a laptop is pretty good.

Intel's mobile processors are better than AMD's at this point, so look for a cheaper Core Duo or Core 2 Duo based system if you can.

There are other options too; at my office we actually have an old Sony Vaio laptop (running Windows 98, to give you an idea of its age) that is still going strong (we just use it for terminal use, etc.). So it's been a pretty durable workhorse. My mom also has an old Apple iBook G3 that is a number of years old now and is still working fine.

-Zadillo

NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

semprons are better than celerons but not a good as a core 2
    but semprons are alot cheaper...
    "We are the 99% - We are to big to fail" for the other side of the coin info wars.com

The Bad Boy

Good luck to find a under 800$ notebook that will last 5+ years...
    Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.
    - Sun Tzu

wow, keep the great advice and tips coming in! i'm a little new to laptop buying

as for gaming I meant i sometimes get the urge to play simulator games but i know in the long run that can take a toll on the notebook.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by topgun129 View Post
    wow, keep the great advice and tips coming in! i'm a little new to laptop buying

as for gaming I meant i sometimes get the urge to play simulator games but i know in the long run that can take a toll on the notebook.
    Simulator as in MS Flight Sim X? If so, you definitely would be hard pressed to play that on an $800 notebook.

-Zadillo

The Bad Boy

As for durable notebooks, the ThinkPad R60 is the only one which is near to your budget...
    Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.
    - Sun Tzu

Overclocker

I think the E1505 with the X1400 is a good option. But filling out the FAQ would be a good idea.
    Notebook:
    Latitude e6400: C2D 2.53Ghz - 4GB's DDR2 - 250GB 7200RPM HD - nVidia Quadro NVS 160M - Webcam - Bt- DVD-RW -

Desktop Rig:
    Q6600 - OCZ Vendetta 2 (Lapped) - Gigabyte DS3R - 4GB's DDR2 1000Mhz OCZ - eVGA 9800GTX - 2x640GB (RAID1) + 1x500GB - OCZ 700W

The worlds brightest flashlights! www.TacticalHID.com

Notebook Guru

I agree with Dreamer with you want a durable laptop the Thinkpad R60 is the closest to your budget, if you look on ebay there are a few resellers that sell refurb with warranties, that you might want to look into.

Us Re: What laptop brand is the longest lasting and some other questions?

Sorry about that, here you goÖ

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$800 MAX

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Light gaming once in a while, typing, web browsing, once in a while stock trading with a live streamer, most surfing though.

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

90% will be keeping it on my desk and the rest will be taking to other parts of the house say in the living room.

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Once in a while simulators, but not very often, I have my desktop for this so really I could probably say no games at all.

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Like anything that will last very long 5+ years without the least amount of problems. i've heard ibm and toshiba are excellent.

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not much since Iíll be using the wall outlet.

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

That is fine!

9) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in?

USA

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

Doesnít matter.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    Standard

Not really picky on this option, I would decide on price.
    12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Matte/non-glossy.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Like gray color.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

5+ years, looking for the Toyota Camry of laptops!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 160GB?

40 gb, donít plan to keep to many files on the laptop. if anything, i will burn them on to cds and take them off the hd.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

Just need a cd burner, no dvd burner.

==========
    I like lots of usb ports and of course want wifi access,
    Last edited by topgun129; 13th January 2007 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast