Quantcast What Notebook is best for Video, music, and photo editing

Closed Thread

Us What Notebook is best for Video, music, and photo editing

I am in the process of trying to find a new laptop that will be used for both work and my own interests.

Work consists of the basic MS Office suite, and MS project. This is pretty basic stuff.

My personal interests are

• Photo editing using Adobe Photo Shop. The Pics that I am editing are 10 - 12 meg in size. Currently photo shop runs on my home PC very slowly. The PC is a pentium 4, 1.8mz with 1 meg of ram. I need better performance.
    • I am getting into video editing whaere I will be combining video, Photos, amd music to make family movies and burning DVDs
    I would like to get recomendations on laptops that I can get for less than $1800.

Thanks for the help.

ZaZ
    Super Model

Default Re: What Notebook is best for Video, music, and photo editing

The ThinkPad T60 15" SXGA+ FlexView screen is the best notebook screen if you're big on Photoshop. Plus they're solid laptops with good support.

Us Re: What Notebook is best for Video, music, and photo editing

Thanks for the heads up on this. what about the speed. Will this be able to handle the media editing and burning of DVDs

Thanks
    Will

Individual 11

I have to throw in my vote for the Macbook Pro. Unfortunantly Photoshop is not a Universal Binary yet. But it will be when CS3 comes out.
    Are your PSD's 10megs or so? or is that the actual raw image size?

If you are a student, you can get pro level apps for pretty cheap. Aperature is supposed to be awesome for pro image editing and organization.
    I'm not sure if there is an OS X version of project, but I would just run it through Parallels if I used it enough.
    It also has some nice software included with it to do DVD burning/authoring as well as video creating. Garage band is also a good, basic audio editing program. Though if you want to get more advanced, I would recommend Logic Express or Pro.

If you are a pro level photo guy, then DO NOT get a glossy screen. Otherwise, glossy screens are awesome. But they will not be accurate enough for people on the pro level.

I believe you can get a MBP c2d version for 1800 with a student discount, or the CD version without a student discount for around 1600 or 1700.
    15" Macbook Pro
    2.0 GHz Intel CD
    250 GB 5400 rpm HD

Wii60 Owner

Actually the Macbook was my first choice. Unfortunately my company refuses to support it meaning they will not load the proprietary software that I need to do my job. The idea is to combine my work and personal life on one notebook.

My raw files are 11 meg and they seem to grow when I convert them to PSP

ZaZ
    Super Model

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidroam View Post
    Will this be able to handle the media editing and burning of DVDs

Thanks
    Will
    It will perform the same as other similarly equipped notebooks, but you'll get very good quality and design, excellent support, a great keyboard, ThinkVantage tools, etc. Plus as I mentioned, the FlexView screen is the best notebook LCD which I would think is important if you are big on Photoshop.