Quantcast Asian Laptop vs. American Laptop OEMs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Asian Laptop vs. American Laptop OEMs

Well do you guys prefer american manufactureres (Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway) or Asian manufacturers (Sony, Asus, Acer, Toshiba)? Asian manufacturers tend to be more expensive but I think are better built if you ask me.
    Dell E4200 - Intel Core 2 Duo SU9400 - 1.4Ghz | 64 GB SSD | 3GB DDR2-SDRAM | GMA 4500MHD | 12.1" WXGA | Windows Vista

HP Envy 14 - Intel Core i7 2600m - 2.0 Ghz | 80 GB SSD / 500 GB 7200rpm HDD | 6GB DDR2-SDRAM | Radeon 6630m | 14.5" 720p | Windows 7

Sam
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: Asian Laptop vs. American Laptop OEMs

Interesting thread topic, but I have no particular bias or stereotype to say that Asian or American notebook companies are better.

For one, I don't mind HP notebooks. I think they're nicely built, with a nice design and prices are reasonable.

Out of the Asian manufacturers, I actually only like Asus from the group you listed. Sony notebooks are expensive, and have some build quality issues. Acer is almost Dell, cheap materials. And Toshiba is turning into a Dell too, and has a boring design (except for the Qosmios).
    Apple MacBook Pro 13 | OS X Snow Leopard | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB HDD | SuperDrive
    Raidmax Desktop | Windows XP | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad | 4 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Apple iPhone 3G S | Bell Canada | 16 GB | Incipio Feather Metallic Black

Mac Switcher's Guide | Windows on a Mac Guide | My Flickr

Notebook Deity

Just to let you know all notebooks are made in china and the companies are most likely owned by Japanese. Asus, Compal and a few others just make notebooks for Dell, HP, Sony and the rest, which then turn around and just rebrand them.

Notebook Evangelist

Apple and Sony are probably the best in my opinion when it comes to laptops. Apple and Sony are the only two companies that were able to balance aesthetics with performance. And Apple's got that integrated hardware+software thing going for them. They're also the most expensive...oh well.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by RefinedPower View Post
    Just to let you know all notebooks are made in china and the companies are most likely owned by Japanese. Asus, Compal and a few others just make notebooks for Dell, HP, Sony and the rest, which then turn around and just rebrand them.
    Not all are made in China. Practically all flagship Sony Vaio Notebooks are made in Japan (where they should be made).

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by el_superhombre View Post
    Not all are made in China. Practically all flagship Sony Vaio Notebooks are made in Japan (where they should be made).
    You might want to look that up because if they are made by Asus, which I think they are, then they are made in china. For crying out loud even Macs are made in China.

NBR Reviewer

You forgot to mention MSI laptops in the Asian made category. Their a taiwanese company that have their laptops made in China as well. Not the most popular in USA but are in Europe and more commonly in Asia. The build quality of these things are mediocre though, nothing special really. I'd say HP probably has a better build quality. Great buys though, not expensive either.
    MSI MS-16332 (same as m675)
    15.4" WXGA| Turion64X2 TL-56| Geforce Go 7600 450/500| 2GB corsair DDR2/667| Hitachi 80gb 7,200| super multi-drive(dvd-ram support)
    My MS-16332 Review

Notebook Evangelist

Oh, and I owned an Acer for a little longer than 3 years. Here's the repair history.

1. Screen replacement x 2
    2. Hard Drive replacement x 7
    3. Windows reinstalled x 10 (including when I got the HDs replaced)
    4. Screen hinge broken x 1

#4 was the last straw because it conveniently happened to be out of warranty (costs like $1k to fix) so I'm looking into getting a macbook pro to replace that piece of garbage.

Needless to say, I DESPISE Acer.

Notebook Consultant

Lenovo is a Chinese company, btw
    i think most laptops are made in Asia, as most the ODMs are in Asia
    if they're made in Japan, then that's for the quality, if China, for cheaper price
    but what's the problem if they're made in Asia??

Notebook Prophet

there are no laptops made in the us

most laptops are made in taiwan

some are made in korea and japan.

currently on a vizio ct -14 a0 128 gb

g72 bb model momentus xt/hitachi 7k500
    p8700 260 gtx cost : $400
    11219 3dmark 06
    stock 5400.6 in external
    "The best future proofing is keeping dollars in your pocket" - A NBR genious I forgot his name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast