Quantcast New laptop with serial port?

Closed Thread

Us New laptop with serial port?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Approximately $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Either a 14 or 15 inch screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Tuning the car’s computer (rs232 needed), e-mail, surfing, Word processing for work, some gaming (time killer for work travel), wardriving for fun (rs232 required).

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

Taking it with me. Driving and planes.

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Yes, at least unreal 1, quake 2, half-life 1. If I can run more current games (like BF2 and HL2) I’d be happy, but this is not a hard requirement. I would like dedicated video memory and am leaning towards the ATI video chipsets.

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

HP, Dell and IBM. leaning towards business class (because of reported build quality and ruggedness) from either Dell, HP or IBM (can’t find any business class machines from IBM though).

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Would like at least 2.5 hours, 4 hours would be great.

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

I don’t mind buying online, as long as return policy is realistic and warrantee is good.

9) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in?

USA

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

No preference.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    Standard

Either XGA or SXGA is sufficient. I have no preference on standard or widescreen.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Whichever is best viewable outside in daylight.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No, built to handle being moved a lot is more important to me.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

I would like it to operate for at 3-4 years, if not longer. I purchased a refurbished Toshiba and was seriously disappointed in it lasting only 5 months before the video card/backlight started to fail.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 160GB?

60 to 80GB is sufficient.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

CD-RW/DVD combo. To watch DVDs while traveling and backup files as needed.

I really, really, would like a serial port. Some of the equipment that I would like to use with the laptop does not function properly with most serial-usb converters (GPS, EEC tuner).

I’m currently looking at a Dell D620 or D820, HP Compaq nc8430 or nc6230. Most of which have a 3 year warrantee. But I'm open to suggestions.

After my frustration with the Toshiba, I really want something that is built to last, with a company that will stand behind the product.
    Last edited by RichM; 22nd September 2006 at 09:24 PM.

NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Default Re: New laptop with serial port?

i know what you mean about toshiba, that is the reason i bought an Acer, awsome qualty, and good support.

acer do not usually have serial ports, the TravelMate 8204 might... but it is a little expensive
    "We are the 99% - We are to big to fail" for the other side of the coin info wars.com

Notebook Evangelist

You should try a Compal notebook. Something along the lines of the Hgl30. You can also configure it according to your demands and price range (I still like dell though). Also, try the Asus A8Jm or A8Ja, depending on your budget. BF2, HL2 and Q4 will be a walk in the park for the go7600 as long as you dont go crazy with AA and AF.
    Macbook Pro

2.33 Core 2 Duo - 4mb L2 Cache
    2Gb RAM
    Mobility X1600 256mb
    120Gb SATA 5400RPM HDD (space over speed)

BROKEN!!!!

www.thegamebooks.com

Come and join the [NBR] clan, and feel free to browse around and join the community!

Notebook Deity

I think the dell latitudes have them

Notebook Deity

The Thinkpads fit you, either a T or X, but not much of anything still offers serial ports. But that's ok, a USB to serial adapter is very small and easy to carry. Or the T60 offers a serial and parallel port in place of the optical drive, if it's that important and optical is expendable.

A 14" T60 with an x1300 would be perfect for you.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 running Windows 7 Enterprise
    Intel i5 2520m 16GB 256GB Intel 520
    Lenovo Thinkpad X61s running Debian Sid
    Intel L7500 4GB 160GB X25-m G2
    Server running Debian Squeeze
    Intel E8400 Supermicro X7SBL-LN2 4GB ECC
    40GB Mushkin Sandforce 5x Samsung 2TB Ecogreen F4 in Raid 6

NBR Lead Moderator

The Fujitsu E8210 is a well-built 15.4" machine; it has an available 128MB X1400 video card (mid-range, can handle the latest games) and a serial port.

The Compal HGL30 unfortunately does not have a serial port, otherwise it would be a great choice.
    Lead Moderator for TechnologyGuide Communities
    Brighthand | NotebookReview | TabletPCReview
    hp EliteBook 8740w - 17" DreamColor 2, Win 7 Pro, Core i5, 4GB RAM, ATI FirePro M7820, Intel SSD

Us Re: New laptop with serial port?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz
    The Fujitsu E8210 is a well-built 15.4" machine; it has an available 128MB X1400 video card (mid-range, can handle the latest games) and a serial port.

The Compal HGL30 unfortunately does not have a serial port, otherwise it would be a great choice.
    Thanks Chaz,
    I looked at the Fujitsu E8210 and am very impressed with the specs. Not so much with the price. After some more reading I am torn between the HP nc8430 and the Fujitsu E8210. Configured similarly the price has the Fujitsu about 100 dollars (US) higher.
    The questions I have for the comunity now are;
    Between the HP nc8430 and the Fujitsu E8210, which has the better build quality?

Which company has the better reputation for service?

What are the chasis/frames (both the main body and the LCD) made of between these two machines?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    Rich
    Last edited by RichM; 24th September 2006 at 06:58 PM.