Quantcast Looking for very light ultrabook (no more than 1.2kg/2.5lb) with battery life more than 7 hours - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: Looking for very light ultrabook (no more than 1.2kg/2.5lb) with battery life more than 7 hours

The Series 9 does not perform worse than other ultrabooks, most of the reviews posted online use the i5 ULV instead of the i7 ULV CPU that is also available and is in the other laptops this is compared to. There's a version with the i7 and 256gb SSD, but that is user replaceable so that's not a problem.

The battery life of the Series 9 is about 6 hours with normal use.

The x230 will definitely be faster - way more RAM and faster CPU. With the sheet battery it will also last way longer. It is however a little heavier and with a smaller screen. The design does not appeal to everyone so if you have the chance see it in person. The Series 9 is definitely the sleeker machine.

The Zenbook is another option, but there seem to be a lot of QC issues. In my opinion, the x230 and the Series 9 are the best ultraportables at the moment, each offering something that the other doesn't have...

Default Re: Looking for very light ultrabook (no more than 1.2kg/2.5lb) with battery life more than 7 hours

I see so that means that using a 9 cell battery would indeed give the X230 possibly the highest battery life out of the ultrabooks. According to one source (Weight of X230 w/9 cell?) it's weight is about 3.8lb / 1.7kg, which is a reasonble weight considering that it has possibly the longest ultrabook battery life.

The Series 9 15 inch now has some serious competition from the X230. I would need to decide whether very long battery life or lower weight (1.4kg versus 1.7kg) and the 15 inch screen is better. I must say though a 15 inch screen weighing only 1.4kg is a godsend.

About the Asus Zenbooks, the UX31 seems to be a currently good, positively rated one. It seems similar to the Series 9 13 inch, though the UX31 does seem to have more battery life (ASUS Zenbook UX31 Reviewed | Ultraportable Reviews | Laptop Reviews). At the same time, the Series 9 13 inch weight only 1.16kg whereas the UX31 weighs 1.3kg, not sure how significant this is in real world terms. The weight of 150g probably isn't too big, but then the if I'd get a laptop weighing 1.3kg with 13.3 inch display, why not get a 1.4kg laptop with an impressive 15 inch display (which is important for me for work purposes). I hear you about the touch pad not being fantastic, although I can't comment whether that would affect me for sure, I should think it might not as I've never really used a touch pad and thought, that's a deal-breaker personally.

I have to choose between more screen size or more battery life. If the X230 had a 15 inch screen, while still weighing 1.7kg with the 9 cell battery that would be a deal for me. But as that's not the case I will instead have to choose between the two.

Either way thanks for highlighting the superior battery life of the X230 with 9 cell battery and the battery slice. I actually wonder whether the Series 9 15inch has a slice battery available for it.

Just saw your post as well Cableman. Yes that is exactly my problem as I just highlighted above, the 15 inch screen on a 1.4kg laptop is impressive, and as I'll be doing mostly work on the laptop the superior spec of the X230 is not much of a concern for me. I assume by user replaceable you mean it is possibly to upgrade the SSD and RAM, and if so then I didn't know that and that is a nice feature.

But as I said for me it still comes down to 15 inch screen at a weight of only 1.4kg versus a heavier laptop weighing at 1.7kg (without the slice of course) but with a much more superior battery life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12