Thread: Best Non Touch Screen Ultrabook?
18th January 2013, 06:55 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2013
- Rep Power
Best Non Touch Screen Ultrabook?
I was originally looking at the Zenbook Prime UX31A but am looking at other options after reading about the issues with build quality and the poorly performing SSD. Any suggestions?
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
13" - 15"
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Web browsing, writing, coding, light gaming
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Maybe some light gaming, not a priority for me though
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
At least 5
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
Ideally 1920 x 1080
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Matte. I also do not want a touchscreen laptop.
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Within the next month
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
SSD, at least 128 GB of space
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
19th January 2013, 06:27 AM #2
19th January 2013, 01:12 PM #3
- Join Date
- Jan 2010
- Rep Power
Re: Best Non Touch Screen Ultrabook?
I agree with Zaz's recommendations. I would point out that the recent models from Asus have greatly improved in quality out of the box and all appear to be shipping with the very fast Adata SSD, no more substitution of the extremely slow Sandisk U100. The most certain way to get the newer units is to go with their touchscreen model. Even though you don't want a touchscreen, this model (which I have been demoing for review for the past 30 days) is the same price as the non-touchscreen, has the same great IPS screen and is the only way I know of to assure you are getting the newest product. Though the S9 and X1C are excellent ultrabooks, the Asus really does have a significantly better screen and - to me anyway - a superior design so I would not exclude it from consideration. The S9s have had chronic wifi problems and they have a much more shallow keyboard than the Asus or the Lenovo. None are perfect. I do suggest you find a retailer that allows returns for full refund even if the unit is not defective. There is no substitute for using a model for a couple of days to determine if it is the right one for you. Best of luck.Hp 13T-300013"/QHD/4th gen i7U/4400HD/8GB/256GB/Intel AC wifi. Still testing; so far 4.5* MKT STEAL: $1,099 net!
Sony Z's (Z13: i7/8GB/256GB/900p/WWAN - "classic"; still better, lighter than most UBs 4 yrs newer! Z22: i7-2640/6GB/256GB/FHD; stupid fast/2.5 lbs but design fail vs Z1)
HP Envy 14 Spectre 3100/14" 900p/Ivy Bridge i5/4GB/128GB. Drop-dead stunning design, operatonally perfect. Lovely screen, superb audio, keyboard.
Samsung Note 8 tablet w/Wacom ; Samsung GS4 - meh
By CowboyCoder in forum Dell XPS and Studio XPSReplies: 1896Last Post: 31st March 2014, 12:21 PM
By andrubuntu in forum ThinkPad Edge, X1, X100e/X120e, & SL/LReplies: 1063Last Post: 20th June 2013, 12:31 AM
By .Azaria in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 57Last Post: 23rd January 2013, 10:26 AM
By crux19 in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 5Last Post: 10th December 2012, 05:56 PM
By Andrew Baxter in forum IdeaPad & EssentialReplies: 12Last Post: 3rd December 2012, 01:56 AM