Quantcast Laptop for Travel Photography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop for Travel Photography

Hello,

As the title says, I'm basing my laptop search on what needs I have for travel photography. I've done a bit of research on my own, and I'm trying to prioritize a bit. The problem is that I have a few laptops that meet a few of my needs, but nothing that meets all of them. (Or at least, there isn't a model currently in production anyway. Looking at you, Vaio Z.) I'll be listing my priorities as primary, secondary, and tertiary. If there isn't anything you know of the fills most of these requirements, I can wait a few months. My laptop is getting long in the teeth, but it isn't finished yet.

Anyway, here goes. My big question is: have I missed anything? Are there any laptops that fill all these requirements that I've simply overlooked?

Primary: Display

As it stands, a good display is probably the most important quality in a travel photography laptop. What do I mean by good display? The first and most important thing is color gamut. While a high amount of NTSC is good, the best would be high (91%+) AdobeRGB color. Matte screens preferred. High pixel density is a nice bonus, but as long as it's at 1080 I'd probably be happy.

Examples: Sager laptops from Xotic PC, elite HP and Dell laptops, the now extinct Vaio Z

Primary: Size and Build Quality

Ideally I would be able to go to a location, take a shoot, and edit on the spot. I could see if the shot should be redone if I were doing some fancy shooting (like an HDR of a location) and tell if the light was right after processing, or if I should revisit it or reshoot it if necessary. To this end, a laptop should be light. However, laptops should also be made well enough to last me a few years. Editing can be pretty hard on a laptop, and I'd like this next one to last me longer than I'm expecting my current ASUS G73JW to. (11/2010-11/2013)

Examples: Macbook Pro w/ Retina, Samsung Series 9, Microsoft Surface Pro, the now extinct Vaio Z

Secondary: Power

This is a significant concern in an editing laptop, especially if I want to chew on .TIFF files or large photo stitches. However, I have 8 GB RAM with an i7 processor before Sandy Bridge. I'm at an alright speed, and while I want to go faster as long as I don't go backwards in speed I'll be fine.

Examples: Sager Laptops from Xotic PC, Lenovo Workstations

Secondary: Solid State

Pretty easy requirement to fit, but it's important because they're a little more durable than HDDs. Not that I won't baby my computer, I'd just like a little more assurance that my computer won't fall apart if I take it with me in the field and I have a slip up.

Examples: Take your pick

Tertiary: Battery Life

This is not a make or break thing for me. Ideally I'd like a big, nice, fat and healthy battery allowing me to work for hours on the field. However, this tends to complicate things as batteries add to weight, and machines with exceptional batteries tend to charge for it. Also, most machines have around 4-5 hours these days and it takes something else to stand out as exceptional.

Examples: Didn't find many that really qualified

Tertiary: Design

I'd like my computer to not look butt ugly, but am prepared to live with it if need be.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Laptop for Travel Photography

I too had almost a similar set of requirements and after extensive search I found Dell Precision workstation models like M4700 or similar ones from Lenovo W530 to fit the requirement. But unfortunately the budget was too much for me to bear, so had to settle for an Alienware m14x for the time being.

Check them out.

Precision M4700 Mobile Workstation Details | Dell

Lenovo W530 Specs | ThinkPad Laptop Tech Specs | Lenovo (US)

Notebook Enthusiast

Or else get a Macbook Pro!

Thanks. The Dell Workstations fit every requirement except size and weight. The build quality should be excellent if it is half as durable as it looks. I think the screen options are pretty attractive too. UltraSharp is a good name.

Macbook pro is only 99% of sRGB. Disqualified. :P

Why did you leave us Vaio Z? Haha.

Sone

The only thing that offer proper color reproduction above sRGB really is just HP and Dell IPS workstation. Not matter how huge gamut those TN panel offer in sager/Z2 , the gamma shift just destroy the purpose.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : Pink 3DASV 16MPCCD IPX5/IPX7

Did not know that. Thanks for the information. Makes the Retina seem more impressive, though it still might be a tad overpriced IMO.

Sone

Well, if you can view the screen everytime at similar angle as your calibrator . There are alot of new windwos 8 ultra portable with IPS, and also check x230.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7

So, what's the deal with IPS displays? I seem to get a lot of recommendations, but not a lot of solid figures. How good are they?

Sone

They are typical sRGB gamut, but no color shift when view from different view angle. Maybe have contrast shift, but not a big deal compare to color shift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast