Quantcast laptops with IPS screen?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default laptops with IPS screen?

Hi,
    I'm looking to purchase my first laptop. I was thinking about getting the macbook pro because they have such great screens with good viewing angles. I've seen laptops that are entry level and the screens are horrible so I want to spend a little more for an IPS screen. I just don't know where to start. Main use will be for internet, watching 1080p movies, and Microsoft Office. I'm hoping to spend from $600-$800 for a laptop with a backlit keyboard, bluetooth, and an ips screen or something similar that doesn't have horrible viewing angles.

If someone can recommend me a laptop with these specs from $600-800 Canadian that would be great.

Thanks

Sone

Default Re: laptops with IPS screen?

I don't think there is any new machine with 1080p IPS within the budget, the usual suspect for this segment is the HP dv6z with 1080p upgrade.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : Pink 3DASV 16MPCCD IPX5/IPX7

I was looking around and see that all Mac laptops are LED backlit? I always thought they were all IPS screen. I was hoping to find a laptop for less than a mac with the same build quality. If there aren't then I will just get a mac book or air.

edit: my mistake I didn't mean I wanted a 1080p IPS screen. The resolution doesn't matter as much as the quality of the screen. Anything above 720p is fine.

Sone

The backlit type have nothing to do with the screen type. I am not a expert on mac, but I believe some of them use TN panels (non-ips).

It will help if you fill out the sticky.
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : Pink 3DASV 16MPCCD IPX5/IPX7

Emodicon

Pretty much all modern computer displays are LED-backlit. I believe the only Macs that use IPS displays are the new Retina MBP 13 and Retina MBP 15, both of which are far outside your budget. The rest of the Mac lineup use regular TN displays.

Depending on the size of the laptop you would like, you have a few options. A Lenovo Thinkpad X230 with the optional IPS display and backlit keyboard can be easily found for ~$700.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
    Pretty much all modern computer displays are LED-backlit. I believe the only Macs that use IPS displays are the new Retina MBP 13 and Retina MBP 15, both of which are far outside your budget. The rest of the Mac lineup use regular TN displays.

Depending on the size of the laptop you would like, you have a few options. A Lenovo Thinkpad X230 with the optional IPS display and backlit keyboard can be easily found for ~$700.
    Maybe I have it wrong. I don't really know much about Macs. I just know that a friend of mine has one and the screen is very nice. I think she got a few years back so I'm pretty sure it's not a Retina display. I'm probably mistaken but I'm guessing I want a laptop with a display that is on par with most of the $1000 - $1500 Macs. Not sure what kind of screen it is but it's a lot better than the $500 Toshiba laptop my sister have.

NBR Addict

MidnightSun's correct about the MBP display. And to top it off, the colors on those displays isn't anything special (in the grant scheme of things). MBPs typically sit at about 70% NTSC color gamut.

While not an IPS display, you could check out the Thinkpad T530 with the 1080p upgrade. That's 95% NTSC color gamut, and it makes the MBP's screen look dull and washed out in comparison. Viewing angles are pretty good for a TN panel as well. And as a sort of "side-grade" to the MBP in terms of displays, a lot of Clevo laptops (such as the Sager NP6165) have displays that start at 72% NTSC color gamut, and some can be upgraded to 90-95%.

But if you're dead-set on IPS, pretty much your best option will be the X230 with the $50 IPS display upgrade.
    Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Win7 Pro)
    Lenovo Thinkpad X61t (Linux Mint 15)
    Asus TransformerBook T100 (Win8.1)
    DIY desktop (Win7 Ultimate)
    Extended Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroi-Tsubasa View Post
    MidnightSun's correct about the MBP display. And to top it off, the colors on those displays isn't anything special (in the grant scheme of things). MBPs typically sit at about 70% NTSC color gamut.

While not an IPS display, you could check out the Thinkpad T530 with the 1080p upgrade. That's 95% NTSC color gamut, and it makes the MBP's screen look dull and washed out in comparison. Viewing angles are pretty good for a TN panel as well. And as a sort of "side-grade" to the MBP in terms of displays, a lot of Clevo laptops (such as the Sager NP6165) have displays that start at 72% NTSC color gamut, and some can be upgraded to 90-95%.

But if you're dead-set on IPS, pretty much your best option will be the X230 with the $50 IPS display upgrade.
    I'm not really dead-set on IPS. I just want a quality screen like the MBP display.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the Thinkpad T530 and looked at the 1600x900 upgrade for $50. The 1080p upgrade for $250 is out of my budget. How is the 1600x900 display upgrade on the T530?

Notebook Deity

Like most physical components in the MBP, the screens have always been near (though not at*) the top of the line. After all, it's how Apple justifies charging $2000 for their laptops when other manufacturers offer the same amount of computing horsepower for $1000 - the Retina Display simply takes both the price gap and the quality gap one step further.

IPS aside, it's hard to get a good display without a high budget. When a manufacturer has to choose something to cut costs on in order to meet a price point, the screen is always the first thing that goes - things like quad-core CPUs and SSDs are great selling points that the average person can understand, high quality screens aren't.

* Actually, the best screens by a long shot would be HP's DreamColor 2 and Dell's PremierColor, but you'd have to expand your budget by about 5x to be able to afford one of those. Then again, those screens are so excellent that they make the Retina Display look horrible.

Notebook Evangelist

It sounds like your're looking for 95-99% color gamut screens. IPS is usually for people that needs the true color for example, graphic design. IPS screen can be view from all angles but not necessarily the prettiest screen available.
    My strength comes from training, not from some curse in my blood...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast