Thread: Light gaming laptop
19th August 2012, 12:01 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2012
- Rep Power
Light gaming laptop
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
b. Dislike: Dell
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Surfing the net, watching movies, gaming - primarily strategy games (esp Total War series)
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Leaving it on my desk mostly
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Strategy games - Total War series, CoH, etc
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
4 hours is more than enough
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Buying online is OK
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
1300 x 768. Screen resolution is not a very big issue, since I plan on buying a monitor
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Not at all!
15) When are you buying this laptop?
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
At least 160 GB. I definitely want to invest in a supplementary SSD drive, with money beyond the $1000 if needed
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Just an optical drive, no need for burners
My current Dell XPS 15m has major overheating issues (without overclocking) and I would like to avoid these on my new laptop.
19th August 2012, 04:50 PM #2
- Join Date
- Nov 2008
- Rep Power
Re: Light gaming laptop
You didnt specify any weight limits for the notebook, but the new Sony Vaio S series is pretty light with mediocre (640M LE) gaming capabilities. The Lenovo Y480 is heavier (2.5kg) but seems to have the better cooling system. The games you have stated are not very demanding and should run on those machines, but when considering future games, it could be not powerful enough. But notebooks with an 650M or better are not really light anymore (>2.5kg). But in general, you are looking into a very popular category and you should keep an eye on this thread: Thin and Light 11-14 notebooks gaming worth compendium
By rajuj13 in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 5Last Post: 25th January 2012, 02:49 PM
By magictrick in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 4Last Post: 10th August 2011, 10:32 AM
By Friendly0Fire in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 13Last Post: 2nd May 2010, 12:27 AM
By Netname in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 4Last Post: 19th April 2009, 10:47 PM
By xeodragon in forum What Notebook Should I Buy?Replies: 6Last Post: 2nd September 2007, 03:29 PM