need laptop to replace Dell Lat D630 - not looking for much more
) What is your budget?
Hopefully around 200-300 -- can buy used/refurbished to get older models
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
smaller screen preferable, doesn't really matter
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
Any reputable retailer in the US.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Mostly websurfing for streaming video. I also will do very light gaming.
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Stay at home.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
I liked my D630 because it ran Windows Xp very well and would like to continue using Windows XP for older compatibility reasons. As I mentioned, I'm looking at older models anyway so they will probably come with XP anyway.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
I have a HD from the old laptop.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
So I just want to replace my old Dell D630 that ran XP well and handled most web tasks well too. It's a very low spec with 2.0ghz intel proc and integrated graphics.
Since I will be replacing it I would like to get a modest upgrade but don't need anything that new really. In fact I would prefer something older because I would like the Windows XP compatibility and Linux as well.
I was thinking since the d630 came out in 2007 then even a laptop from around 2010 or so would be okay. Something that is quiet with low heat output but can perform adequately would be nice.