I'm looking to buy a new laptop and gaming is going to be important. I want it to be able to run The Witcher 2, Skyrim and other demanding games at medium if possible.
The laptops I'm leaning to are HP's ENVY 15 or DV6.
The Envy 15 currently comes with radeons 7690m and may be eventually come with the 7750m. The DV6 will be updated soon and come with nVidia's 650m. Which is the best graphics card?
The setup I expect to buy has an i7-3XXX (equivalent or better to the i7-2670QM) and 8GB of RAM.
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
14-15.6 leaning to 15.6
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP, Dell
b. Dislike: Macs
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
College stuff, multimedia (watching movies, music...), gaming
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
yeah, Skyrim, The witcher 2, battlefield series etc.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
The more the merrier
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
don't care, gonna be buying online
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Prefer glossy but matte will do
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
as soon as I can find one that fits my criteria
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
750GB, no SSD
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
DVD yes, Blu-ray would be nice but not a must have.
The computers I've seen that really interested me were the ENVY 15 and the DV6. I want my computer to have an i7 ivy bridge processor, the best possible graphics card and 2 years of accidental damage warranty all while keeping the price under $1500. I have seen MSI's and other of these more gaming oriented laptops but I prefer the looks of the HP's. In the end I'll probably buy the one with the best graphics card and that looks the best because the rest of the options I will select will be identical.
Last edited by Lord tbm; 22nd April 2012 at 11:09 PM.
The 650M is the better GPU. There might be other options you could look at.
Filled the form but if the DV6 is launched soon and comes with ivy bridge and the 650m that's probably what I'll get since you said it has the better GPU. I'll need help selecting the ivy bridge model however. I'm gonna double major in Biology and computer sciences and want something that will have good processing power but I don't want to have to pay for more power then I'm going to need.