+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Consultant

Default Best Cheap Laptop For Gaming and Portability

1) What is your budget?
    300 USD
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Acer

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming Gta san andreas, movies not necessarily new games
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it places definately.
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Old games like gta san andreas but, would really prefer if it could run more demanding games well. Even though I know 300 usd is little but, if i can find a good used laptop that would be great.
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 is decent
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is fine
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows 7
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    Best resolution available
    13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    I like glossy for some reason. :P
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes I prefer stylish ones
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    today or tommorow max
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    as long as it can
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    over 250
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    yes DVD at least
    ==========
    END COPY

-

Default Re: Best Cheap Laptop For Gaming and Portability

If you're willing to jump through some hoops to get a good deal there will be a $299 Dell Inspiron 14 at Staples starting 3/25, see the details on Slickdeals:

**Back next week! Starts 3/25** Dell Inspiron 14RN-1227BK 14" Laptop $350 AR @ Staples - i3-2350M, 6GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 6-Cell - Slickdeals.net

You have to wait for a $100 Prepaid Visa card (mail in rebate) and you need to download a Staples app to get a $50 off coupon for laptops over $299.

There's also a 15" screen Toshiba laptop that is rumored to be $229 after the mail in rebate, deal again starts on 3/25:

Toshiba Laptop $329.99 Shipped Staples starts 3/25 ($229 after $100 Visa Rebate??) - Slickdeals.net

Other than that, I think eBay is your best bet. Finding a refurb in the Dell Outlet etc. is tough to find anything below $400.