Quantcast My first gaming laptop - please help! - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: My first gaming laptop - please help!

Hey, actually the price is now more like $2300ish - I made some adjustments with my specs to get the price down some more. So, all in all, I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm getting for the money.

I don't play a huge amount of games like I used to. And even when I do have occassional streaks where I get to play A LOT (which, for me being a part-time student and work full time, is rare these days), some hiccups here and there on high/close-to-max settings won't infuriate me or anything. As far as the cooling system, I intend to get one of those USB powered cooling pads to aid the system in keeping itself cool.

And also, I'm not attempting to "diss" the M18X in anyway shape or form - it's an immensely impressive piece of equipment But for a few reasons (style, size, what I "need"), it's just not for me as of now.

Notebook Evangelist

With my last post directed towards you, followed by the ignore list, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I normally respect everyone's opinion, even though other members in this e-discussion may not.

When someone states:
    "You do realize that MSI you looked at/ordered is nothing but a knockoff off the Alienware laptops in design with some corners cut?"

When anyone with a set of eyes can look at the chassis side by side, and see that they look nothing alike. We're not talking about internals whatsoever. It comes down to the fact of wanting/needing a computer to blend into whatever lifestyle you want it to adapt to.

I've had my hands on them side by side as well, which is ultimately what made me go the opposite direction of the styling of the Alienware.

It's just not built as robustly for the price, in your opinion. Having held both the GT783 and the M17x, in my opinion, it had a more sturdy feel to it. The keyboard is far better in my opinion, and overall, it's everything that I want/need it to be. Lastly, I don't care that you can turn off the lights on the M18x, it still has the "Alienware" look. That's the look that I don't want, and turns more than a few people away.

Be happy with your computer, let the OP be happy with his decision, and stop trying to justify your purchases to him.

"I may not be able to max out every single game that comes along with just one 580M, but it's enough for what I need. As long as the games I want to play run nicely enough (and I know they will), that's good for me."

Good luck w/ your order MCJD. Sorry that the thread went off course, hopefully you were able to decipher through the craziness that ensued.
    MSI GT60 0NE-403US i7 3630QM, 16GB 1600DDR, NVidia GTX 680M, 500GB 7200RPM HD, Windows 8

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by errell View Post
    With my last post directed towards you, followed by the ignore list, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I normally respect everyone's opinion, even though other members in this e-discussion may not.

When someone states:
    "You do realize that MSI you looked at/ordered is nothing but a knockoff off the Alienware laptops in design with some corners cut?"

When anyone with a set of eyes can look at the chassis side by side, and see that they look nothing alike. We're not talking about internals whatsoever. It comes down to the fact of wanting/needing a computer to blend into whatever lifestyle you want it to adapt to.

I've had my hands on them side by side as well, which is ultimately what made me go the opposite direction of the styling of the Alienware.

It's just not built as robustly for the price, in your opinion. Having held both the GT783 and the M17x, in my opinion, it had a more sturdy feel to it. The keyboard is far better in my opinion, and overall, it's everything that I want/need it to be. Lastly, I don't care that you can turn off the lights on the M18x, it still has the "Alienware" look. That's the look that I don't want, and turns more than a few people away.

Be happy with your computer, let the OP be happy with his decision, and stop trying to justify your purchases to him.

"I may not be able to max out every single game that comes along with just one 580M, but it's enough for what I need. As long as the games I want to play run nicely enough (and I know they will), that's good for me."

Good luck w/ your order MCJD. Sorry that the thread went off course, hopefully you were able to decipher through the craziness that ensued.
    Ive had a 1761 and a 7 series "branded" MSI laptop in hand previously last month. Generally speaking its has all the same "flash" with the LED lighting,logo and effects as the Alienware laptops(the 1761 though deletes the cover logo and effect LEDs). Overall yeah, they actually do have the same overall "gaming look".

But lets be real here, when your using your laptop, are you worried about the logo's or accent features, or are you staring at your display and keyboard? 99.99% of your time spent using your laptop or any other computer, the last thing your worried about is what the logo on the flipside of the screen says or looks like. At to me anyway. If your worried about the looks of the case, better off with an Apple,Lenovo or Sony Vaoi product IMO, because the large MSI,Asus,Clevo,ALienware laptops are anything but sleek and understated.

Now my comparison's done previously in this thread were based on PRICE PAID FIRST. So I was comparing the 7 series MSI actually the m18x since they are both in the same cost bracket. And sorry, but the 7 series MSI is just not built as well as the m18x. The m18x uses a full aluminum frame, has 3 dedicated fans and heatsinks for the cpu/gpu cores, and the chassis just has alot of small touches that makes it easy to break down, rebuild or work on.

My simple view is this: If your going to be paying around or NORTH of $2k for a performance laptop, your system should be up to the task graphically for the most demanding games, not just now, but for the next few years at least too. The problem with the single card laptops is that they just can't do that............still. This is now and in the present. So in just a short year's time or so its going to potentially be even more dated. Or a good chunk of change is going to be spent for another MXM card potentially in the near future to try and keep up with the new DX11 games coming out in the next year or 2. WIth the m18x and a pair of the same cards or the ATI equivalent, you dont have to worry about being able to play your games at all high or the highest settings, even the most demanding ones play north of 30-40fps maxed out. And these dual gpu systems will stay current for AT LEAST a couple years before they start to get long in the tooth, like the 580m is in single card configuration presently.

I personally wouldnt feel comfortable recommending to someone a $2000-$2500 laptop thats not up to the task ALREADY for specific games mentioned that he wants to play. Feels like a waste of money.

But if the OP doesnt mind spending $2k plus knowing that he is going to be dropping quality settngs dramatically to play at a smooth framerate on his games on his new laptop, then hey, my opinion is just that, my opinion, and as long as he is happy with his decision, then all the power to him. I just hope he doesnt run into the same issue I did with the 2 MSI's and that was the constant tinkering of graphics controls to try and improve the settings without killing the framerate, cuz IMO once you start doing that constantly, then you already know you bought the wrong system. The laptops I got for myself, I dont need to tinker with settings, or updated drivers,or to waste time with "overclocking" to improve visual quality and framerate. And thats how I know I made the right purchases.
    Clevo P180HM: i7-2670qm, 12gigs 1333mhz RAM, 6970m Crossfire, Samsung 830 256gig SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 750gig, Intel 6230, BD-DVD/RW

Alienware M18x: i7-2820qm, 16gigs 1333mhz RAM, 6990m Crossfire, Samsung 830 128gig SSD, Seagate 7200rpm HD, Intel 6300 wifi, BD-DVD/RW

Notebook Consultant

I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from - but an M18X with all the same exact specs on the MSI (same warranty, RAM, HDD, etc.) is about $1000-$1200 more than what I finally ended up spending on the MSI. And this is BEFORE TAX. Granted, I can get one from powernotebooks.com, but even without tax and after a possible discount (and measly 3% cash discount), it would still be close to $1000+ more, assuming I put in the same exact features as the MSI (except for the dual 580Ms or 6990s). And I just like the MSI style more, I really don't like the AW style. It just turns me off. I do not agree with your opinion that they look alike. I agree that they are both fairly large, but as far as looks, I just prefer the MSI. Plus, the M18X is even bigger (though not by too much) than the 783.

I mean, ultimately, If I find that I really enjoy PC gaming (as I've always been a console guy), and want to "go all the way," then I'll just get a PC gaming desktop with a larger monitor, because those are a lot cheaper for what you get for the money.

And you guys keep insisting that the 580M single card is already on its way to irrelevancy. I've spoken to a number of people who know A LOT about PC gaming, graphics cards, builds, and such, and they have all said this is not the case. In fact, I even challenged the person I was buying my MSI from, and told him that he could be honest with me, becuse no matter what, I was going to buy from him. He basically said that two video cards in a laptop was "overkill for most games out there now and possibly even the next few years," and that if I wanted a top of the line PC gaming machine, I should look to a desktop solution. And I trust this guy's opinion, I will say that.

Like I said - this is my first gaming PC, and I dont get as much time to play as I used to, so I don't necessarily need a top of the line machine. If I can't max out every game that comes out, then whatever, that's fine. If I can play at least most games on high settings and max out some (even with some framerate issues), then that is enough for me, for right now.
    Last edited by MCJD4ever; 23rd February 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Correction

Notebook Consultant

To be fair, you guys are answering based off of my initial request to max out all games, particularly The Witcher 2, which I know is a very demanding game. That's on me. I should have stated that I wanted a very solid gaming PC to play everything on at least high settings, and maybe Ultra on most games (and I don't care too much about FPS).

I've seen the graphical differences between many games between high and ultra, and sometimes the differences aren't even worth writing home about.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by MCJD4ever View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from - but an M18X with all the same exact specs on the MSI (same warranty, RAM, HDD, etc.) is about $1000-$1200 more than what I finally ended up spending on the MSI. And this is BEFORE TAX. Granted, I can get one from powernotebooks.com, but even without tax and after a possible discount (and measly 3% cash discount), it would still be close to $1000+ more, assuming I put in the same exact features as the MSI (except for the dual 580Ms or 6990s). And I just like the MSI style more, I really don't like the AW style. It just turns me off. I do not agree with your opinion that they look alike. I agree that they are both fairly large, but as far as looks, I just prefer the MSI. Plus, the M18X is even bigger (though not by too much) than the 783.

I mean, ultimately, If I find that I really enjoy PC gaming (as I've always been a console guy), and want to "go all the way," then I'll just get a PC gaming desktop with a larger monitor, because those are a lot cheaper for what you get for the money.

And you guys keep insisting that the 580M single card is already on its way to irrelevancy. I've spoken to a number of people who know A LOT about PC gaming, graphics cards, builds, and such, and they have all said this is not the case. In fact, I even challenged the person I was buying my MSI from, and told him that he could be honest with me, becuse no matter what, I was going to buy from him. He basically said that two video cards in a laptop was "overkill for most games out there now and possibly even the next few years," and that if I wanted a top of the line PC gaming machine, I should look to a desktop solution. And I trust this guy's opinion, I will say that.

Like I said - this is my first gaming PC, and I dont get as much time to play as I used to, so I don't necessarily need a top of the line machine. If I can't max out every game that comes out, then whatever, that's fine. If I can play at least most games on high settings and max out some (even with some framerate issues), then that is enough for me, for right now.
    Here is my take, stuff like the extra RAM, upgraded HD, warranty, wifi card upgrades, stuff like that.........its all FLUFF. Dell charges obscene prices for these "upgrades"..............MSI, although not as bad, overcharges too. Stuff like RAM, wifi cards, HD's, "thermal paste", all of this stuff, can easily be bought seperately and none of it takes an engineering degree to install. If you can brush your teeth, then you can install em yourself on your own. Hell on my own I can change out the optical drive, 2 hard drives, 3 sticks of RAM, do a complete repaste of both my GPU's and CPU and upgrade the wifi card in less than 30 minutes time. It aint hard, and in reality it saves you HUNDREDS of dollars if not near $1000(based off Dell's accessory pricing )

I base my pricing off the true meat and potatoes of your system. The main case/chassis/screen, cpu, video cards and motherboard. This is the core of your system, and this is what determines your real world performance. And as stated and shown an m18x can be bought with basic hd, i7 processor,4-8gigs of ram and dual Ati or Nvidia gpu cards for about $2500 shipped.

As for 2 video cards being overkill.........far,far from it. 2 high end laptop video cards gives you the performance roughly of one single desktop Nvidia GTX 560ti. And that single card in a desktop playing games at 1080p is far from overkill.

The place you bought your MSI from is most likely protecting their sale. And I can garentee you the profit margin from the MSI laptop from a 3rd party vendor is going to be much higher than from reselling a Dell since there already are 2 middlemen in line on the resale. If the MSI with the 580m was truely overkill, Id still have a 1761 or 7 series in my possesion, and Im not exactly a huge gamer myself, neither is my wife. But I do like the games I do play on occasion to look and play their best.
    Clevo P180HM: i7-2670qm, 12gigs 1333mhz RAM, 6970m Crossfire, Samsung 830 256gig SSD, Seagate Momentus XT 750gig, Intel 6230, BD-DVD/RW

Alienware M18x: i7-2820qm, 16gigs 1333mhz RAM, 6990m Crossfire, Samsung 830 128gig SSD, Seagate 7200rpm HD, Intel 6300 wifi, BD-DVD/RW

Notebook Consultant

Hey man, I understand - I want my games to play and look their best as well. I've done some research about The Witcher 2 (one of the most graphically demanding games out there in quite a while), and most people have said that a single GTX 560 would max the game as long as ubersampling is turned off. So, as long as I'm able to at least play on Ultra settings, with that feature turned off, that's fine with me. And, in the same forums, I even saw some who had dual GPU's who occassionally ran into problems.

I was comparing prices with the exact same specs, because I felt that was only fair. I know I could have afforded a bare bones dual graphic card laptop (such as the M18x), but I really don't like AW's style/look, and I guess I just wanted more of an "all around" entertainment laptop, and not necessarily a graphics powerhouse that will last the next decade (which is seldom the case even with top-of-the-line PCs, as new technology is always coming out, unlike in the console world). LOL sometimes I feel like PC gaming (especially with laptops and the higher GPU costs) is something of a novelty, because new things are coming out every few months lol. Consoles usually last for like 5 years!

If my single 580 card ever truly poses a problem in the future, then I will either upgrade the graphics card, or look to at a desktop solution. I honestly feel that I'm going to be ok with my set-up!

Notebook Evangelist

No need telling him that MCJD... he's most likely going to tell you that you won't like it because it's not his opinion.

I'm not you, I'm not him, I'm me... and I'm overly happy with the GT783 and would recommend it to anyone. I've not ran into so much of a stutter w/ the game playing Skyrim with a pretty substantial list of mods and high res texture packs.

Like I said, it defaulted to Ultra w/ all of the sliders at their max settings, and even w/ the Civil War mod installed, I'm not experiencing any hiccups. Perhaps I got a superior card, but I don't see too much of a way that they can be "that" different.

As for the looks of it, I agree wholeheartedly. The Alienware laptop is just ugly. The MSI, although still a large system, is a much better looking notebook. Then again, I guess we need a Lenovo, Apple, or Sony because the MSI and Alienware are apparently nearly identical in looks.

And even though you stated that you don't want to go through the hassle of ordering the parts from different vendors, and installing them yourself because you would rather have a system that is take out of the box and play, you're doing it wrong. Get real. I'm like you in the fact that I don't want to order RAM from somewhere, wait for it to get there, get my SSD from somewhere, wait for it to get here, an optical drive from somewhere... you get the point.

I have money set aside for a desktop build, but right now, I don't need to use it. I'm more than happy w/ the performance my single 580M gives.

Let us know when it comes in and post some impressions.
    MSI GT60 0NE-403US i7 3630QM, 16GB 1600DDR, NVidia GTX 680M, 500GB 7200RPM HD, Windows 8

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by MCJD4ever View Post
    Hey man, I understand - I want my games to play and look their best as well. I've done some research about The Witcher 2 (one of the most graphically demanding games out there in quite a while), and most people have said that a single GTX 560 would max the game as long as ubersampling is turned off. So, as long as I'm able to at least play on Ultra settings, with that feature turned off, that's fine with me. And, in the same forums, I even saw some who had dual GPU's who occassionally ran into problems.

I was comparing prices with the exact same specs, because I felt that was only fair. I know I could have afforded a bare bones dual graphic card laptop (such as the M18x), but I really don't like AW's style/look, and I guess I just wanted more of an "all around" entertainment laptop, and not necessarily a graphics powerhouse that will last the next decade (which is seldom the case even with top-of-the-line PCs, as new technology is always coming out, unlike in the console world). LOL sometimes I feel like PC gaming (especially with laptops and the higher GPU costs) is something of a novelty, because new things are coming out every few months lol. Consoles usually last for like 5 years!

If my single 580 card ever truly poses a problem in the future, then I will either upgrade the graphics card, or look to at a desktop solution. I honestly feel that I'm going to be ok with my set-up!
    No I understand where your coming from actually on all aspects, looks, accessories etc. I though do feel that the Alienware "looks" are not as gaudy as what the marketing pages make it out to be, especially when you get one in hand. As for media/entertainment, any "graphics powerhouse" is also going to be equally good as a media center hub. As long as the laptop has plenty of peripheral ports(USB 2,3,HDMI out etc etc). Anyway man Im sure you will enjoy the laptop. The MSI you chose is really a good punchy overall laptop, I just felt per dollar spent that its a bit pricy, but dont let me comments on that be taken as a slight against it. Because IMO pretty much all performance/desktop replacement laptops are over priced in reality. Both my laptops in my signature cost me under $2k, because I was not willing to spend full retail on em anyway(since I had to get a pair).

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by errell View Post
    No need telling him that MCJD... he's most likely going to tell you that you won't like it because it's not his opinion.

And even though you stated that you don't want to go through the hassle of ordering the parts from different vendors, and installing them yourself because you would rather have a system that is take out of the box and play, you're doing it wrong. Get real. I'm like you in the fact that I don't want to order RAM from somewhere, wait for it to get there, get my SSD from somewhere, wait for it to get here, an optical drive from somewhere... you get the point.
    A. I thought Im on the "ignore list"...... Please enable your feature.

B. Your right, some people don't want the heavy duty hassle of spending a few minutes installing a few peripheral items, some people though like myself are more concerned with what the total cost is. Myself, Id rather spend 15-20 minutes installing some add ons, vs putting hundreds of dollars in someone else's pocket for the same quality parts and installation.

C. As for waiting for X parts to get to your house from Source Y, many times its actually quicker to buy the parts seperately. I know when I ordered my laptops, I also ordered the same day the other parts I wanted to add on and upgrade myself. Those parts actually came in before I recieved my laptops. So there isnt necessarily an extra wait. Hell I find that even with overnight shipping the parts ordered most times are still significantly cheaper than having the vendor install them on site. So IMO no real "wait time" is necessary.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456