My trusty ASUS N81V has served me faithfully for 3 years and now started to show some age. It is time to get a new portable notebook.
I would like to make a purchase in March, so not sure if something is coming out in the next month or so.
I am looking for a portable notebook that can handle some moderate gaming. Basically a replacement for N81V.
I am currently looking at both Lenovo Y470 (p) and ASUS N45SF but really open to other suggestions (perhaps one of the new 14 ultrathin?).
1) What is your budget?
Budget $1500 USD (can stretch it higher if something really nice turns up)
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
I would like a 14-15 inch notebook. Has to be somewhat portable.
My old Asus N81V was 14 inch notebook and I really felt comfortable with it.
3) Where will you buying this notebook?
USA or Canada
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS, LENOVO
b. Dislike: Mac
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
I'd like a new notebook
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
work (some CAD, office), multimedia (video, dvd), average gaming (LOL, left4dead etc)
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Daily travelling to and from work and common plane trips.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes, would like to play upcoming games like Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3 and so on.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
2-4 would be sufficient. Current notebook mostly works plugged in.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Online is OK
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
Whatever is available.
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Does not really matter. Had a glossy screen on N81V and it worked fine for me.
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
somewhat, but performance is key
15) When are you buying this laptop?
to replace my old N81V
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
400 gigs would be sufficient. 7200 RPM preferred. SSD not necessary
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
I would like to have a CDRW/DVD-ROM burner
But not necessary.
Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know much, that's alright. Everyone's a novice at some point.