Quantcast What's a good laptop for AutoCad?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's a good laptop for AutoCad?

Hey everyone, I'm starting college in the Fall as an engineering student, and I need something that I can use in my time there. I won't be playing any graphics-intensive games, but I will be using AutoCad and watching movies through Netflix and DVDs and such.
    So with that in mind, and a budget of about $300-$500, I've narrowed down my choices to:

the HP Pavilion g6-1b60us
    and
    the Dell Inspiron 15n-2657OBK

So would those be good choices or would another model be better? Thanks.

EDIT: Also just came across a Lenovo IdeaPad Z575 on Newegg. Any thoughts?

1) What is your budget?

$300-$500, but I may go higher.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No clue, this is my first laptop.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Maybe.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Browsing the web, Netflix, watching DVDs, word processing, AutoCad

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Nothing significant. I'm currently addicted to Asteroids, and I'm running that on an old P4 desktop.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

3 or more.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'd prefer to see it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Win7; I can install Linux myself.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? doesn't really matter.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Doesn't really matter.
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Anytime from now until August

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    320-500 GB

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    Preferably a DVD burner.
    Last edited by BaloneyDetector; 26th January 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: What's a good laptop for AutoCad?

These are some laptops with some of the worst specs I've ever seen in my life. The HP has a dual-core processor with a 1MB L2 Cache size. If you want to be running AutoCAD, please, for you're own sake, get a laptop that's around 700 dollars, with a good processor and a good integrated graphics chip. Look at toshiba on futureshop or tigerdirect, or you can build your own on

Gaming Laptops - XOTIC PC - Gaming Notebooks - Custom Laptops - Custom Notebooks

Hope this helps. I'm not being harsh, it's just that those laptops won't be worth your while and I'm just trying to help.
    * removed by mod. please review the forum rules *

Notebook Evangelist

These are some laptops with some of the worst specs I've ever seen in my life. The HP has a dual-core processor with a 1MB L2 Cache size. If you want to be running AutoCAD, please, for you're own sake, get a laptop that's around 700 dollars, with a good processor and a good integrated graphics chip. Look at toshiba on futureshop or tigerdirect, or you can build your own on

Gaming Laptops - XOTIC PC - Gaming Notebooks - Custom Laptops - Custom Notebooks

Hope this helps. I'm not being harsh, it's just that those laptops won't be worth your while and I'm just trying to help.

Notebook Evangelist

The Dell inspiron that you have listed will be your best bet if you insist on going with the ones that you posted.

Thanks for the link Fenom. I'm not sure what I would be looking for in a custom laptop though. What would be a good amount of cache, processor, and graphics card? Something like the core i3?

Ura!

From an engineering student to another, those laptops are garbage... My primary concern is that the displays are terrible (low-res, image quality will be crap) and the lack of a decent GPU will make CAD work a pain.

I'd get something with at least the following specs:

Any i3 (though an i5 would be better)
    A **high-resolution** display (at least 1600*900, 1920*1080 would be better)
    An actual GPU (something that's not Intel or a Radeon xxxG or xxxD series)

If budget starts getting tight, upgrade in this order (most important to least):
    DISPLAY > GPU > CPU

A good suggestion would be the Lenovo Thinkpad T520. Not only will it meet these needs, but business-class laptops are much more rugged and reliable than crap at Bestbuy, etc. I regularly abuse my W520 and there's no major damage in the 8+ months I've owned it.

T520:
    i5-2520M
    1600*900 display
    nVidia NVS 4200M (bit better than the GPUs in your links)
    4GB RAM
    500GB 5400RPM HDD
    6-cell battery (~6 hours of real battery life)
    everything else is default
    Total: $1149 (plus whatever taxes apply to you)

I have my rep's contact info that I could PM you in case you are interested in Lenovo. Using the Barnes and Noble discount, email promotion, and haggling over the phone, you should see a nice discount (I got 24% off my W520 this way).

Another, more powerful laptop (but not business-class) would be the Sager NP5160:
    1600*900 display
    i5-2430M
    nVidia GeForce 540M (slightly below my Quadro 2000M, a card made for CAD)
    4GB RAM
    500GB 7200RPM HDD
    Win7 Home
    Total: $804 (plus tax)
    Пoлюшкo-пoлe
    Пoлюшкo шиpoкo пoлe
    Eдyт, дa пo пoлю, гepoи
    Пpoшлoгo вpeмeни гepoи...

Extended Signature

Notebook Enthusiast

Your school should have guidelines regarding what you need in terms of computing power. If you're going to need to provide all your own computing needs (i.e., computer labs are not available/convenient), then the units you mentioned are likely to disappoint.

To back up what privatejarhead said above, here's a link to the current requirement for the engineering school from which my son graduated last year: TSC Home - Laptops - Model Info - 2011 Lenovo W520

At this particular school, incoming freshmen are required to purchase the specific laptop chosen. Not to say you must have a workstation such as this (they are somewhat more expensive than consumer models), but it should give you an idea what is suggested by an IT departement at one engineering school.

I will be buying a new machine for my second son who plans to start engineering next fall. Quite the opposite of my oldest son's school, the school my second son is attending offers significant access to campus computer labs. Hence, he could probably get by with a machine like you've looked at since he could go to the lab when more computing power was needed. Still, I'll likely send him with something more like the W520.

Again, check with your school. Often such info is even clearly stated right on their website.

Best of luck with your studies!

AM.

privatejarhead:Ouch. x.x That would be a lot pricier than I expected. Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure those would be really nice to have, but I'm wondering, do I really need that type of GPU or screen res, or would something like an Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated card with an 1366 x 768 display work well enough? Specifically something like this. Although I do see it would be more expensive to try to get a cheap model now and have to upgrade later.

Attacking Mid: Well first I'm planning on going to a community college and transferring to Georgia Tech. The CC shouldn't be a problem at all, they don't even require laptops, but I'd like to get one that would last all throughout college. Tech's laptop requirements are less stringent than your son's school because you can get whatever laptop meets the criteria, you're not bound to one model.

Thanks a lot everyone!

If your CC doesn't require laptops, why not wait a little while longer before buying. With hardware updates later this year, you might be able to get a good deal at some point.

That said, if you want any longevity out of your purchase, don't go with the ones you posted originally.

Notebook Consultant

What about a used Dell Precision? They are aimed at business CAD users. There is one on eBay.com @ $600 Loaded Dell PRECISION, others refurbished by Dell with a great Next Business Day warranty are more expensive.

Don't scoff please

PS - You need to check out the I/O connections, I know they don't have HDMI but a display port instead.
    Last edited by clemenzina; 25th October 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Afterthought.
    Dell Precision M4500 Win7Pro64-bit | Dell Precision M4400 Win7Pro64-bit | Alienware M11x-R3 Win7HP64-bit | Alienware M11x-R1 Win7HP64-bit | Asus G1Sn Win7HP64-bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast