Quantcast Looking for a new laptop (mostly for movies and web-surfing)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Us Looking for a new laptop (mostly for movies and web-surfing)

Hey guys,

I've been using the Asus G73JH for almost two years now. I've had problems with it recently and decided that it's probably time to get a new laptop. I'm looking for something that's lighter (the G73JH is around 8 pounds) with a better battery life. I will use the laptop mostly for surfing the web and watching movies. Thanks!

What is your budget?
    Up to 2500

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)
    Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: None
    Dislike: None

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Listening to Music, Movie Streaming and Viewing

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will stay on desk

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will you be buying online or in store?
    online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 12/29/2011

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    1 TB+

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Looking for a new laptop (mostly for movies and web-surfing)

That's quite a ridiculous budget for such simple requirements.
    M15x | 1920x1080 | i5-540m | Crucial 8gb 1066mhz | DVD-RW | AMD 5850m (11.7) | Crucia M4 256gb | Windows 7 | Bigfoot Killer 1102 | Logitech G7 |

Notebook Evangelist

Agreed, you should be able to easily meet your needs for under $1500.

There are a lot of great choices out there... if 15 inches is what you want, the Dell XPS 15z is a good option. Very powerful, up to 2gb dedicated video card and 8gb of RAM, backlit keyboard, HD webcam, slot loading dvdrw; starting at $999.. less than 1inch thick, and just over 5lbs.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Do you have any suggestions for any 17' or larger notebooks? I'm kind of used to the large monitor that the Asus G73 has and don't feel like going back to a smaller 15' monitor.

I am considering getting the Macbook Pro because it has a 17' model that also comes with great battery life. In addition, it is relatively light for its size. The only negatives are that I'd prefer windows and Mac products tend to be pretty pricey. Let me know if you guys have any other good suggestions!

Notebook Evangelist

Alienware has an excellent very high spec 17" model: Alienware M17x With Optional 3D Laptop Screen Details | Dell starting at $1499. Even if you're not in to high end gaming, the high end gaming laptops are always the fastest most powerful, and will certainly satisfy your multitasking, video and surfing needs.

Notebook Evangelist

On a similar but more professional and possibly overkill recommendation, Dell's high end business Precision has a high spec 17" starting at $1599 Precision M6600 ? High-Performance 17" Mobile Workstation | Dell

Notebook Consultant

The Vaio F series is relatively light and has a great FHD 16.4" screen for movies.

Shiny

Yeah, the Vaio F is a great option for movies because of the awesome screen. With your budget, you might consider the 3D model. Or you can get the 2D model and have it well-equipped for less than $1500. Regardless, get it with blu-ray, because the 1080p screen is so sharp and vibrant that for movie fans, blu-ray is what you'll want.

I've got a video review of my Vaio F...the link is in my signature.
    Modern UI ("metro") tutorial; setting up Windows 8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

ThinkPad T440p (14" 1080p, Windows 7 Pro).
    VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1 Update).
    Moto X (second generation).

Notebook Prophet

Notes on above-recommended laptops:

XPS 15z: poor build quality with regards to the poorly-attached chrome trim. Also if you get the XPS 15z anyway, you must upgrade to the 1080p screen. The 720p screen is 1366x768 which in a 15.6" screen means big text, severely limited multitasking, and bad image quality.

Alienware M17x: A bit over-powered for simple requirements, but if you get it anyway you must upgrade to the 1080p (1920x1080) display. The 900p (1600x900) display is awful.

Vaio F: a great multimedia laptop.
    Toshiba P50t - 15.6" 3840x2160 IGZO | Touch | AMD Radeon M265X

MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

You are so far over-budgeted! You don't even need to spend $1,000 and you'd way beat your needs. (The G73 is way more laptop than you needed too!)

1. Sony F - concur. The only one (see below) that might break the $1,000 mark, but not if you buy a retail config (with the 1080p screen)

2. Dell XPS 15 - Heavier than the 15z but better built. It's 1080p B+RGLED screen is the best in the business at that size, bar none. Its on board audio is the best in the business, bar none. You could buy 2-3 of them at your budget! Hard not to choose this for your needs.

3. HP DV6 - many, many configs; all you need is the 1080p screen and you get all the goodies with it - have to work hard to spend $900. Current 33% off coupon, various retail version sales: get everything you want + extd ADP wtty for under $800.

There are others, but all of the above will serve you well. Sony customer/tech support has become the laughing stock of the industry, so factor that it. (By a Square Trade extd wtty, not a Sony!). Both Dell and HP have greatly improved their support in recent years. (They will all treat you like dirt when you have an actual problem, lol!)
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus - i7-4500U/8GB/256GB/3200x1800 PLS. Absolutely magnificent piece of kit and a joy to use.
    Sony Z's: (Z13: i7/8GB/256GB/900p/WWAN - "classic"; still better, lighter than most UBs 4 yrs newer!Z22: i7-2640/6GB/256GB/1080p; stupid fast/2.5 lbs
    HP Envy 14 Spectre 3100
    /14" 900p/Ivy Bridge i5/8GB/256GB. Extremely competent computer masquerading as a work of art!

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Swiss Army knife of mobile computing. The one device I keep if I can only have one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast