Quantcast My college laptop...

Closed Thread

Default My college laptop...

A disclaimer: I really don't know much about what I should get, because I'm not well-versed in computer knowledge. I'm about to go to college; that about sums up my laptop need. If you could help direct me, that would be great!

1) What is your budget?
    I would like to get a laptop for around $1000 at the most, maybe $600 or $700 at the least (in terms of quality).

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I think at 14" screen would work, because I will probably be taking my laptop around with me between classes and living arrangements. I like the look of a larger, 15.4" screen, but I don't think I'm willing to have that instead of portability and lightness...so (b).

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    I don't know a lot about complicated programs or whatnot, so I won't be doing anything fancy. I will be typing up work and such, and also downloading music and transferring it to my MP3 player. I will need enough RAM and space to have many programs and web pages open and running without the computer freaking out, as my current desktop does. I usually don't use complex photo editors or anything related, but I will sometimes need to do at least something smallish with pictures.

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I will be taking it between my houses, and probably also walking around with it at my college campus to take notes, etc. at class. Lastly, I'll be planting it on my desk for periods while I work, but it defitinitely needs to be portable (as notebooks go, you know what I mean...).

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    I am not a gamer, so the only thing I'll play is minesweeper or solitaire. Nothing fancy, like I said!

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not that I know of. I like HP, because that's what I have, but then some other brand could be infinitely better and I just wouldn't know until I tried. So no particular preference or dislike.

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I'm not really sure what's normal, but it would be nice if it could stay alive for 5-7 hours. I have no clue if that's asking way too much of a lightweight laptop or if it's modest, but I would just like it to be helpful while I'm at class all morning or afternon.

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Not necessarily. I might want to test out the keyboard and look at the screen, but other than that, there's nothing that I need to see for myself that I can't be told in print and photos. But the keyboard and screen are pretty **** important, so I guess I might want to see it in person.

9) What country are you buying this in?
    The US.

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Isn't this the same question as the screen size earlier, where I said 14"? Like I said up there, I won't sacrifice portability for a giagantamous screen, but I don't want a tiny one either. So...standard.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    Either (b) or (c). Probably (c). I hate it when things don't fit. How often does that happen on the (b) resolution?

Standard
    a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
    b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
    c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    I'm thinking glossy, because that's probably clearer if you're looking directly at it, right? But I'm not sure if matte would be less likely to have an annoying glare if I were in a classroom in which I could not choose the lighting or position of my notebook. I really just want whichever is easier to see (I know that's lame, but whatever.)

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Only somewhat. Most of them are pretty to me, anyway, simply by their size and design. A sleek one would be nice, but in the end it's incredibly unimportant compared to the quality of the functionality, etc.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    As long as possible. It's difficult enough for my parents and I to afford this for me for college, and when I'm actually enrolled and I need all the money I can get I really don't want it to crap out after 2 or 3 years. So...if 5+ is reasonable, I'd like that. And I don't care about how quickly anything I buy will be replaced by better, smarter technology immediately, because if I buy one that is truly of good quality, who cares if better things come along? Mine will be enough for me...so long as it doesn't die!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 120GB?
    I'm terribly ignorant of this type of thing, but I think 100-120GB would be good.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?
    I think I'd like a DVD-CD/RW drive.

Homicidal Teddy Bear

Default Re: My college laptop...

I would look at the HP dv1000t or a Dell e1505.

It seems like you don't really need 100GB hard drive. I would look at a 80GB or even a 60gb for your needs dont seem to much. Get a Core Duo Processor (minimum Duo should be good) and 1GB of ram when you customize.

If you take care of it, it should last you 3+ years.

edit: I meant e1405.
    Last edited by INEEDMONEY; 3rd July 2006 at 02:21 PM.

NBR Lead Moderator

The HP dv1000t is a nice choice:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...owse1/home_SDP

For higher quality, there is the Dell Latitude D620, but it will cost you near your maximum budget.
    NotebookReview Writer & Reviewer
    hp EliteBook 8740w 17" DreamColor 2 1920x1200, Win 8.1 Pro, Core i5-560M, ATI FirePro M7820, 8GB RAM, 120GB Intel 320 SSD, 1.5TB Hitachi 5K1500, Intel 6300 WLAN; Oct 2010 - Present
    Guides to... Choosing a Warranty for your Laptop | SSD Upgrades | How to... Unbox and Quality Check a New Laptop | Clean a Notebook | Upgrade Laptop Memory | Setup a Power Plan in Win 7/8 | Backup Files using SyncToy

ejl
    fudge

the dell e1405 will probably give you the most overall performance with the dell coupons. d620 will be more durable, but more expensive. the dv1000t is more attractive and seems to be a better overall multimedia notebook.