Quantcast Asus U46E-BAL6 Good Buy or Not?

+ Reply to Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Asus U46E-BAL6 Good Buy or Not?

I've been searching for a fast, powerful laptop that will last me for years and work well in college. I wont be gaming very much but I will be using Photoshop and storing my photos, surfing the the internet, and using some software for my classes.

After reading tons of reviews I think the Asus u46e is the best laptop for me and it will be on sale at Best Buy for $699. The only problem is I cant find any information on this site about it and I'm wondering if I'm missing something? The specs look good to me and the price seems really good but no one is talking about it.

Is this really a good deal? Will this laptop last a long time (4-5 years)? Is the on sale price good? Are there any other options?

Thanks for the help!

Best Buy Product listing- (not sale price) Here Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 14" Display / 8GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Aluminum Platinum - U46E-BAL6\

EDIT (added Form)

What is your budget?
    600-800

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Ultraportable (11 - 12-inch screen)
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: Apple, Asus, Sony
    Dislike: Dell, Acer

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    No

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Casual Gaming

College

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will you be buying online or in store?
    online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 7 or Mac OS

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    Yes

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 12/07/2011

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    500 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No
    Last edited by RosieJ; 20th November 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added form

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Asus U46E-BAL6 Good Buy or Not?

I would really like some help on this....

Down and Broken

It is a good buy, but are you are willing to spend the same on a Thinkpad X220. It is the best ultraportable around at this price.

Please look here.
    Good Performance Portable Laptop

You could use the coupons that are bound to pop up.

Notebook Enthusiast

I have looked into the Thinkpad but I don't like the plastic looks, its too small and, as far as I can tell, it has the same graphics card as the Asus. Is the graphics card (UMA graphics) in the Asus really a bad thing as long as I don't play games? Will I really notice the difference?

Notebook Enthusiast

Anyone else? Thanks for the help so far!

Down and Broken

The core i7 is a really good processor. You have a really good piece of equipment. Please go for it. There are no core i7s on offer in any other brands at such a low price. If you are alright with a 13x7 then go right ahead. If you mean flash games, then no problem at all. You can comfortably multitask. This should make up your mind.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus...5010.html?tag=

MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Not only Core i7, but quad core i7! With all it's features (lacking only a discrete gpu, but the Intel integrated one with SB cpu is excellent for all but challenging games. The weak link seems to be the screen and the audio, never strong points of most laptops, perhaps a bit worse than average for this one.

Best news of all: BB lets you buy and return with no restocking fee, so you can try it out and decide for yourself! Be aware, though, if you are willing to go a little higher, you will not find a more powerful cpu or HDD size, but you will find models by hP and Dell that will have Core i7 cpus and 1080p screens and very good audio that may be discounted to as low as $800 for Christmas sales.

I say: buy the Asus and if you love it, stop there and know you have all the power you could ask for for several years to come. It's also a great looker!
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus - i7-4500U/8GB/256GB/3200x1800 PLS. Absolutely magnificent piece of kit and a joy to use.
    Sony Z's: (Z13: i7/8GB/256GB/900p/WWAN - "classic"; still better, lighter than most UBs 4 yrs newer!Z22: i7-2640/6GB/256GB/1080p; stupid fast/2.5 lbs
    HP Envy 14 Spectre 3100
    /14" 900p/Ivy Bridge i5/8GB/256GB. Extremely competent computer masquerading as a work of art!

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Swiss Army knife of mobile computing. The one device I keep if I can only have one!

Notebook Enthusiast

For some reason, this laptop in now coming with the i7-2620M. Which has a lot of the higher end extensions on the chip, but is only a dual core running hyper threading. (so it looks like a quad core.) Anyone still think this is a good deal? Or should I wait for the U46SV /U46SX versions?

pcm

I liked the look of this model at first. Asus have a pretty good reputation. The spec is mostly decent. Aesthetically you could do far worse.

Two things that put me off though:

(1) The screen. 1366x768 for a 14" display is just not good enough. (At CES 2012 there were, I believe, 10" tablets with full 1080p displays; perhaps notebook manufacturers will get their act together under pressure from tablet machines).

(2) The keyboard. Maybe it was just the display model I tried in the store. Maybe I just don't get on with island-style keyboards. But Asus didn't cover themselves in glory with the UX21/31 keyboards either.

So if you don't mind the screen resolution and you can try one to check out the keyboard then I'd say you could definitely do a lot worse.